SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Torque Convertor and their stall speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 08:18 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Torque Convertor and their stall speed

Okay, what bands or torque convertors do you recommend and what stall speeds for the SC300?
Old 04-24-02, 09:25 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while we are at it...
what are some good ones for the 400 also
Old 04-25-02, 07:33 AM
Marcus Frost
Driver School Candidate

Precision industries makes torque converters for the Supra (amongst other cars - f-bodys, vette, etc) and are generally thought to be pretty well made pieces. Call Sound Performance or PI directly @ (800) 649-7866.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 04-25-02 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-25-02, 07:50 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Marcus Frost
Precision industries makes torque converters for the Supra (amongst other cars - f-bodys, vette, etc) and are generally thought to be pretty well made pieces. Call Sound Performance or PI directly @ (800) 649-7866.

-m
Well hello there Marcus.
Old 04-25-02, 10:05 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go through a distributor for Precision, their direct pricing is not that great.
Old 04-25-02, 10:24 AM
DIrEctQL

Yes, but now what stall speed for N/A SC300 that will be turbo this or next year?
Old 04-25-02, 12:18 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

They're really not 'set' there, stall is greatly affected by engine torque. DIrEctQL, the size of the converter depends on the size of the turbo you wish to use, but you'll definitely want at least 2800rpm, and hopefully a little more in flash stall. If you're not looking to spend close to a grand on the Precision unit, and this is not at all to say it isn't worth it, it's a beautiful unit, but for those looking to spend less, call Pro Torque in Bohemia at 631-218-8700, they can provide you with a reworked stock core, it'll stall to about 2700-2800rpm. The price is $395, ask for Joe Jr. and tell him Jon with the Red Lexus sent you.
Old 05-01-02, 02:32 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

Does anyone knows what will be the difference between the dragon TC from maybe Swift Racing vs the one from ProTorque. Their prices are very reasonable and I am really thinking about getting one from them. Is that big of a price difference make that much more HP? I have a stock NA 92 sc400 and with 145K miles on it. Still runs good and want to add a TC, chip (still debating WR or a different one), intake and mufflers. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

vaki2
Old 05-02-02, 08:18 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

I am not sure about the differences in TC brands. But i am pretty sure that TC's dont give you any hp. None of them do. They just dramaticlly increase your tourque (<~~spelling) in lower gears. thus giving you amazing launch's and knockin around .5-1 sec off your 1/4 mile time. Its like driving a totally different car. It will do about nothing to a highway roll, but from stop light to stop light they are the bomb diggity
Old 05-03-02, 06:38 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
I am not sure about the differences in TC brands. But i am pretty sure that TC's dont give you any hp. None of them do. They just dramaticlly increase your tourque (<~~spelling) in lower gears. thus giving you amazing launch's and knockin around .5-1 sec off your 1/4 mile time. Its like driving a totally different car. It will do about nothing to a highway roll, but from stop light to stop light they are the bomb diggity
Yes, which is the reason why I am getting one. Also, it will require a little skill to get a good amount of time off of your 1/4 mile.
Old 05-03-02, 05:57 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
It doesn't change your torque, it improves how well the existing torque is transmitted to the wheels.
Old 05-05-02, 02:20 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

Hey Guys,

I understand everything you guys are saying, but does the Dragon TC transfer the power to the rear better then the Pro Torque TC? The Pro Torque is 1/2 the price, so I was wondering if that is one of those things, that the more you pay, the better the performance increase, or that it is not that much of a difference. Does anyone have any comparison between all these TC's?

ltr

vaki2
Old 05-05-02, 06:47 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by vaki2
Hey Guys,

I understand everything you guys are saying, but does the Dragon TC transfer the power to the rear better then the Pro Torque TC? The Pro Torque is 1/2 the price, so I was wondering if that is one of those things, that the more you pay, the better the performance increase, or that it is not that much of a difference. Does anyone have any comparison between all these TC's?

ltr

vaki2
The way I see it, you have to send in a stock torque converter for protorque to rework. So you have to sacrafice your car for how ever long they need it, or you have to buy a stock converter to send it which is new ~$700 plus the $400 for them to rework it.. Let me know if I am wrong..

Mark
Old 05-06-02, 04:24 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

Thats a good point to consider. I do however have a second car so I am not that worry about down time. The question still remains which one is a better TC, and if anyone has done some comparison between all these different TC's. Reason is, I can get the Pro Torque TC and an Apexi Safc for the same price I can get a Dragon TC. Unless the Dragon TC outperforms the Pro Torque, or any other brand for that matter. I want to make sure I make the right choice

Thanks

vaki2
Old 05-06-02, 04:34 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by vaki2
Thats a good point to consider. I do however have a second car so I am not that worry about down time. The question still remains which one is a better TC, and if anyone has done some comparison between all these different TC's. Reason is, I can get the Pro Torque TC and an Apexi Safc for the same price I can get a Dragon TC. Unless the Dragon TC outperforms the Pro Torque, or any other brand for that matter. I want to make sure I make the right choice

Thanks

vaki2
PI has a nice convertor. It's pretty good quality and very powerfull. I think it's a tripple disk torque convertor or something like that. Not sure if it fits our cars.

Quick Reply: Torque Convertor and their stall speed