ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   Torque Convertor and their stall speed (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/45688-torque-convertor-and-their-stall-speed.html)

DIrEctQL 04-24-02 08:18 PM

Torque Convertor and their stall speed

Okay, what bands or torque convertors do you recommend and what stall speeds for the SC300?

1BomexLex 04-24-02 09:25 PM

while we are at it...
what are some good ones for the 400 also

Marcus Frost 04-25-02 07:33 AM

Precision industries makes torque converters for the Supra (amongst other cars - f-bodys, vette, etc) and are generally thought to be pretty well made pieces. Call Sound Performance or PI directly @ (800) 649-7866.

-m

DIrEctQL 04-25-02 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Marcus Frost
Precision industries makes torque converters for the Supra (amongst other cars - f-bodys, vette, etc) and are generally thought to be pretty well made pieces. Call Sound Performance or PI directly @ (800) 649-7866.

-m

Well hello there Marcus.

Lex Luthor 04-25-02 10:05 AM

Go through a distributor for Precision, their direct pricing is not that great.

DIrEctQL 04-25-02 10:24 AM

Yes, but now what stall speed for N/A SC300 that will be turbo this or next year?

Lex Luthor 04-25-02 12:18 PM

They're really not 'set' there, stall is greatly affected by engine torque. DIrEctQL, the size of the converter depends on the size of the turbo you wish to use, but you'll definitely want at least 2800rpm, and hopefully a little more in flash stall. If you're not looking to spend close to a grand on the Precision unit, and this is not at all to say it isn't worth it, it's a beautiful unit, but for those looking to spend less, call Pro Torque in Bohemia at 631-218-8700, they can provide you with a reworked stock core, it'll stall to about 2700-2800rpm. The price is $395, ask for Joe Jr. and tell him Jon with the Red Lexus sent you.

vaki2 05-01-02 02:32 PM

Does anyone knows what will be the difference between the dragon TC from maybe Swift Racing vs the one from ProTorque. Their prices are very reasonable and I am really thinking about getting one from them. Is that big of a price difference make that much more HP? I have a stock NA 92 sc400 and with 145K miles on it. Still runs good and want to add a TC, chip (still debating WR or a different one), intake and mufflers. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

vaki2

ChrisSC300 05-02-02 08:18 PM

I am not sure about the differences in TC brands. But i am pretty sure that TC's dont give you any hp. None of them do. They just dramaticlly increase your tourque (<~~spelling) in lower gears. thus giving you amazing launch's and knockin around .5-1 sec off your 1/4 mile time. Its like driving a totally different car. It will do about nothing to a highway roll, but from stop light to stop light they are the bomb diggity:D

DIrEctQL 05-03-02 06:38 AM

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
I am not sure about the differences in TC brands. But i am pretty sure that TC's dont give you any hp. None of them do. They just dramaticlly increase your tourque (<~~spelling) in lower gears. thus giving you amazing launch's and knockin around .5-1 sec off your 1/4 mile time. Its like driving a totally different car. It will do about nothing to a highway roll, but from stop light to stop light they are the bomb diggity:D
Yes, which is the reason why I am getting one. Also, it will require a little skill to get a good amount of time off of your 1/4 mile.

Hermosa 05-03-02 05:57 PM

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
It doesn't change your torque, it improves how well the existing torque is transmitted to the wheels.

vaki2 05-05-02 02:20 PM

Hey Guys,

I understand everything you guys are saying, but does the Dragon TC transfer the power to the rear better then the Pro Torque TC? The Pro Torque is 1/2 the price, so I was wondering if that is one of those things, that the more you pay, the better the performance increase, or that it is not that much of a difference. Does anyone have any comparison between all these TC's?

ltr

vaki2

mjames08 05-05-02 06:47 PM

Originally posted by vaki2
Hey Guys,

I understand everything you guys are saying, but does the Dragon TC transfer the power to the rear better then the Pro Torque TC? The Pro Torque is 1/2 the price, so I was wondering if that is one of those things, that the more you pay, the better the performance increase, or that it is not that much of a difference. Does anyone have any comparison between all these TC's?

ltr

vaki2

The way I see it, you have to send in a stock torque converter for protorque to rework. So you have to sacrafice your car for how ever long they need it, or you have to buy a stock converter to send it which is new ~$700 plus the $400 for them to rework it.. Let me know if I am wrong..

Mark

vaki2 05-06-02 04:24 PM

Thats a good point to consider. I do however have a second car so I am not that worry about down time. The question still remains which one is a better TC, and if anyone has done some comparison between all these different TC's. Reason is, I can get the Pro Torque TC and an Apexi Safc for the same price I can get a Dragon TC. Unless the Dragon TC outperforms the Pro Torque, or any other brand for that matter. I want to make sure I make the right choice

Thanks

vaki2

DIrEctQL 05-06-02 04:34 PM

Originally posted by vaki2
Thats a good point to consider. I do however have a second car so I am not that worry about down time. The question still remains which one is a better TC, and if anyone has done some comparison between all these different TC's. Reason is, I can get the Pro Torque TC and an Apexi Safc for the same price I can get a Dragon TC. Unless the Dragon TC outperforms the Pro Torque, or any other brand for that matter. I want to make sure I make the right choice

Thanks

vaki2

PI has a nice convertor. It's pretty good quality and very powerfull. I think it's a tripple disk torque convertor or something like that. Not sure if it fits our cars.