RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2 Inch trailer hitch questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 11:06 AM
MrBiebs
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2 Inch trailer hitch questions

Hey all,

Has anyone had the dealer install a 2" hitch? I'm in Canada, we ordered the 350h last weekend that has a kick sensor. The 2" hitch doesn't appear to be an option you can order from the factory in Canada so we have to get it as a dealer installed option (unless something changes before they build it). Our dealer says they can get it but they don't know pricing yet. With that I have a few questions I was hoping maybe someone could chime in on.

What was the cost/quote you were given?

Did you look at aftermarket options?

Will the dealer installed option have the bumper notch that I've seen in some screenshots (example below). Is the plastic replaced or do they cut it out?

My salesperson said he did confirm the kick sensor will still work. Are they doing anything special to make it work, e.g. moving it like seen in the user manual?

Old 01-11-23, 11:08 AM
MrBiebs
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and we just want it for a couple bike racks, we won't be towing with it. I don't need electrical for tailer lights.
Old 01-11-23, 11:20 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBiebs
Hey all,

Has anyone had the dealer install a 2" hitch? I'm in Canada, we ordered the 350h last weekend that has a kick sensor. The 2" hitch doesn't appear to be an option you can order from the factory in Canada so we have to get it as a dealer installed option (unless something changes before they build it). Our dealer says they can get it but they don't know pricing yet. With that I have a few questions I was hoping maybe someone could chime in on.

What was the cost/quote you were given?

Did you look at aftermarket options?

Will the dealer installed option have the bumper notch that I've seen in some screenshots (example below). Is the plastic replaced or do they cut it out?

My salesperson said he did confirm the kick sensor will still work. Are they doing anything special to make it work, e.g. moving it like seen in the user manual?
Oh, and we just want it for a couple bike racks, we won't be towing with it. I don't need electrical for tailer lights.
I'm glad you bought this up! I've asked our local Lexus parts and salesperson a few days after getting our 500H and the short answer is no you can not get Lexus hitch without the towing package. Our 500H did not come with the towing package therefore they dont recommend getting the Lexus hitch. The towing package has to do something with bigger brakes (our 500H comes with the biggest brakes possible), oil cooler and timing changes in the transmission. They did not mention any dates and price available and they direct me to aftermarket. Yes you need to cut out that small piece in the rear bumper. I sent an email to Stealth Hitch to see if they could make a (hidden) hitch for our RX. We'll be using hitch for bike rack two adult bikes not electric and snowboards. Go figure?!
Old 01-11-23, 12:11 PM
MrBiebs
Driver School Candidate

You get more build options than we do in Canada, there are no hitch, or towing related options on the build site in Canada. I read in another thread here where someone suggested that all RX's in Canada come with the tow package, I'm going to assume that is just the $160 option listed in the US site. The US also has 1 1/4" 'Activity Mount' option in addition to the 2" receiver.

Both of our bike racks are 2" racks so specifically want that. We originally went in to drive an NX, they were able to give us a price on a hitch for that one and said the kick sensor would still work on the 2023 NX but would not if we got a 2022 NX. In the end we ordered an RX so I didn't look into it any more than that.

I'd be interested in what your hear back from Stealth Hitch and if the kick sensor will still work. The kick sensor isn't a deal breaker for me but its nice to have a point of comparison. I'm guessing they just move it to the side of the bumper like in my screenshot in my first post. I don't know if it's just a simple job like clipping it to a different spot on the bumper, or if there is new wiring harnesses etc.
Old 01-11-23, 01:11 PM
Den49
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Unanswered question: what is actually included in the $160.00 "3,500-LB TOWING CAPACITY" option package? Anyone know?

If and when we find the answer to this question we may know better how essential it is to towing with the RX.
The following users liked this post:
MrBiebs (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 01:37 PM
MrBiebs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Den49
Unanswered question: what is actually included in the $160.00 "3,500-LB TOWING CAPACITY" option package? Anyone know?

If and when we find the answer to this question we may know better how essential it is to towing with the RX.
Yeah you got me, I don't know if it's even a thing in Canada. I wish they made these things clearer, $160 can't be that significant of a part but it's clearly something.
Old 01-11-23, 01:46 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 369 Likes on 254 Posts

I wanted the receiver to mount a weathertech bumpstep on it, to protect the rear bumper. But few if any cars produced at the factory are even going to have the basic tow packaged installed, which I imagine includes that different bumper trim piece with the cutout. I think people who want the tow options are going to be left to a special factory order, or a dealer installed option if they have one.
Julius071 (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 01:52 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

You get more build options than we do in Canada, there are no hitch, or towing related options on the build site in Canada. I read in another thread here where someone suggested that all RX's in Canada come with the tow package, I'm going to assume that is just the $160 option listed in the US site. The US also has 1 1/4" 'Activity Mount' option in addition to the 2" receiver.

Both of our bike racks are 2" racks so specifically want that. We originally went in to drive an NX, they were able to give us a price on a hitch for that one and said the kick sensor would still work on the 2023 NX but would not if we got a 2022 NX. In the end we ordered an RX so I didn't look into it any more than that.

I'd be interested in what your hear back from Stealth Hitch and if the kick sensor will still work. The kick sensor isn't a deal breaker for me but its nice to have a point of comparison. I'm guessing they just move it to the side of the bumper like in my screenshot in my first post. I don't know if it's just a simple job like clipping it to a different spot on the bumper, or if there is new wiring harnesses etc.
Yeah I seen that Activity Mount but I'll need to buy a receiver adaptor to fit our 2" bike rack.

Yeah I was surprised that the '23 NX comes with hitches and assuming with towing package.

On Stealth Hitch website for the '22 RX, their hitch will work with kick sensor and instructions here.
Old 01-11-23, 01:54 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Den49

Yeah you got me, I don't know if it's even a thing in Canada. I wish they made these things clearer, $160 can't be that significant of a part but it's clearly something.
Here are some information for Lexus "Towing Package" for a '22 RX "This requires the optional tow package that includes a heavy-duty radiator, transmission, and oil cooler."
Old 01-11-23, 02:29 PM
Den49
Rookie

Originally Posted by Julius071
Here are some information for Lexus "Towing Package" for a '22 RX "This requires the optional tow package that includes a heavy-duty radiator, transmission, and oil cooler."
Looks like too much equipment for a $160.00 option price.
Old 01-11-23, 02:33 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Installation on that aftermarket one is, in my opinion, too complicated for the typical person.

Also, the photo of that "activity mount" option looks strange - I guess it doesn't include the bike rack. It looks like the 1 1/4" receiver avoids the need for a new bumper trim piece (like the 2" option does) - but once you mount an adapter on it to give you the 2" appearance, you are going to be stuck with the bumper trim piece not clearing. I would be careful ordering that option, thinking an adaptor will fit. The safe bet is just getting the normal 2" option for $660, which will fit any accessory universally.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 01-11-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-11-23, 02:51 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

a Youtube video review of the '23 RX. They had the RX on a lift and they talk about the suspension, transmission and exhaust and you can actually see how the Lexus hitch is attached. It doesn't seem the rear bumper needs to be trimmed out?!
Old 01-11-23, 03:00 PM
MrBiebs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that. There is a notch in there for sure, that isn't in the bumper when it doesn't have the hitch. The cutout looks really well done though. That wiring harness connector is ugly.

Julius071 (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 03:03 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

It looks like there is a notch in the underside portion.

Yes, those photos show it. That 1 1/4" option, in addition to not having the electrical, I bet that 3/4" allows them to use the standard bumper without the notch. With the full 2" option, the lower bumper trim is a different piece.

What a mess Lexus made of this, clearly an afterthought to not design the 2" option with the same bumper.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 01-11-23 at 03:07 PM.
Julius071 (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23, 07:06 PM
Den49
Rookie

Before the end of 2023, there will be better and cheaper aftermarket hitches available in both Class II and Class III. Toyota/Lexus tend to discourage towing, even when their vehicles are capable.

Quick Reply: 2 Inch trailer hitch questions