RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rotors OEM or another brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 07:40 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 461 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by artem123
Hello!
If you ask me i did not change anything yet, all the rotors and brake pads are the original. Car just hit 11.5k on the clock. Dealer fails to acknowledge the fact that it shaking when I break because speed limit is 35 around dealerships and they cannot go above speed limit during test drive. Frankly I don’t wanna fight with them anymore I would much rather change the rotors and pads
If you are having an issue the dealer will not help you with, to to another dealer or call Lexus corp. Your car is under warranty and these cars cost too much. Get what you paid for.
Perhaps take the service rep for a ride.
At least ask them to retorque the wheels.
Good luck.
Old 06-12-21, 09:42 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

Actually when you say it now… Car was at the dealer for 10,000 miles service…
Hmmm
I agree with the other comments. It's very likely the lugs were over-torqued with an impact wrench. The recommended torque, 76 lb-ft, is low and easily exceeded with power tools.

Last edited by bamalam; 06-29-21 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-12-21, 05:37 PM
feakara1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can I find torque specs for the brakes, lugs etc?
Old 06-13-21, 12:51 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 440 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by feakara1
I purchased a two day TIS subscription and downloaded all of the files for the jobs that I would do on my own on my RX. All of the maintenance files have all of the Torque specs. Much easier than trying to find them all one at a time. I think that it is $20 for two days access.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Last edited by Quantum501; 06-13-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 12:57 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by feakara1
For my 2018, it is User Manual section 9.1 "Specifications", under the first part which is "Maintenance Data", the last two pages before Fuel Information covers "Tires and Wheels". For both Type A and Type B wheels, the wheel nut torque spec is 76 ft-lb.
The following users liked this post:
LexusL350 (07-13-21)
Old 06-16-21, 01:57 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello Lexy Rexy drivers.
Long story short after 11k miles my front rotors are out of round which results in shimmy when break. It is very pronounced on highway speeds, and even in slow traffic, i could clearly feel it. The dealer tells me that the only roads they can road test is those around the dealership and posted speed limit is 35. They do not want me in the car during the test due to everyone knows what, although the same dealer had no problem have a test drive with me when I purchased the car last august. Anyways, i want to replace rotors, but i don't want originals, i want better. What are the good brands out there? With my German fleet, i always used originals or 2 exceptional brands which are Brembo and Zimmerman's. What are good brands for rx?
Thank you.
I just recently noticed the shake or shimmy at speeds above +75 mph when braking as well. I dont ever brake hard and throw water on hot brakes like you lol. I havent even hit 20k miles yet, roughly at 19k miles, I'm definitely am gonna look into new rotors.. the oem rotors seem to be garbage and thin. If you find some aftermarkets throw a link down lol... I need some new rotors, I have a feeling they'll resurface them and ill have the same problem in another 10k-20k miles...
Old 06-16-21, 06:42 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dannnn
I just recently noticed the shake or shimmy at speeds above +75 mph when braking as well. I dont ever brake hard and throw water on hot brakes like you lol. I havent even hit 20k miles yet, roughly at 19k miles, I'm definitely am gonna look into new rotors.. the oem rotors seem to be garbage and thin. If you find some aftermarkets throw a link down lol... I need some new rotors, I have a feeling they'll resurface them and ill have the same problem in another 10k-20k miles...
I will post my findings! You do likewise))

dannnn (06-17-21)
Old 06-21-21, 05:36 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

I will post my findings! You do likewise))
Well I took my rx into the stealership and they said that the the rotors arent covered by warranty, (of course), and wanted 579.96 to resurface all four rotors . Might as well replace the rotors at that price as my pads are still 80% life on them. I know shops that resurface rotors for 35 a piece, but I would rather just replace them then have them be machined thin and warp again.

Amazon Amazon

I'm pretty sure its just the front rotors that are giving me the vibrations so I'll bite the bullet on these and see if they hold up/fix the problem, seems like stoptech and brembo doesnt care to make any rotors for the rx. Seems like im going to have to go to autozone and order them since its a 1-2 month long wait on amazon lol..
artem123 (06-21-21)
Old 06-29-21, 12:58 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Yep. Rotation with choosing the best tires for the front, balancing and torquing to exact specifications did absolutely no difference. New rotors and pads are on the way. I will remove old rotors and pads with 12k miles and keep them for later for a rainy day.
Old 07-01-21, 03:21 AM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had that same issue when passing 50k miles.
Rotors warped and pads were low.
My Lexus dealership resurfaced the rotors and replaced pads for $250.
It is very smooth again
Old 07-08-21, 04:03 AM
artem123
Pit Crew

I installed new Akebono rotors and pads and Rx is as smooth as as it gets. It’s still bugging my mind why do i need to do it at 10 thousand miles. Life goes on. I like Rx now)
Old 07-08-21, 01:26 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Yep. Rotation with choosing the best tires for the front, balancing and torquing to exact specifications did absolutely no difference. New rotors and pads are on the way. I will remove old rotors and pads with 12k miles and keep them for later for a rainy day.
Oh so I did get the power stops and they're great. Fixed the high speed vibrations and I can full emergency brake without my hands on the wheel and it will stop in a dead straight line. Definitely get the M8-1.25 x 45 mm screws if your going to do the job yourself. When you put the new rotor on make sure you clean the wheel bearing hub surface and add some ant seize, mine had an unusual amount of rust for being at 20k miles. But I found out my issue for vibrations, my front rotors weren't warped after I threw a gauge on it, one was installed incorrectly and thats also why it was nearly impossible to get off without the m8 screws. The hole for the wheel studs on the rotors are a bit oversized and it was off centered catching on the threads of the wheel studs, I really wish I have a picture to show everyone but I didnt think to take one as my hands were dirty. But heres a picture on paint i made lol..

Seems like the rotor being off that much will not interfere with braking unless speeds are +75 mph. During installation throwing a lug nut to hold the rotor and giving a bit of torque will center the wheel studs in the oversized rotor holes. Adding a lug nut or two will also allow you to add the brackets and caliper back onto the rotor making sure its centered. Also torque the wheels with at least 20-30 ft-lbs on the air to ensure the rotor says centered when you lower the car and then tourqe all wheels to 75 ft-lbs

Amazon Amazon

I kept my old pads as they're around 7/10-8/10 thickness and these rotors are really good actually. I drove out on a long highway merge which has plenty of visibility without using the brakes much and not coming to a complete stop, it was 2am so no one was there and I did 3, 40mph to 10mph harsh/moderate stops to bed them together, then drove on the highway at 55mph for 20 mins before using the brakes again. First stop sucked, second stop was like stock, third stop HOLY CRAP, these stop GOOD. I'm talking about 40%-50% more bite than stock when you lay into the brake. Might not translate to 40%-50% in stopping distance but if you slam on the brakes the car will quickly find the sweet spot right before abs and hold it there which stock took at least a second or two to do, and stock would just trigged abs.
jgrant68 (11-27-21)
Old 07-08-21, 03:05 PM
RogueRX
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed new Akebono rotors and pads and Rx is as smooth as as it gets. It’s still bugging my mind why do i need to do it at 10 thousand miles. Life goes on. I like Rx now)

Hi! Can you post a link on where you purchased them from? Akebono rotors and pads. Thanks!
Old 07-10-21, 11:33 AM
andrei11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and Pads Recommendations

Hi,
I am looking for a recommendation on pads and rotors for an RX350 (2016). Has anyone had any good experiences with aftermarket brake pads and rotors? Which combinations would you recommend?
Old 07-10-21, 01:00 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 440 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by andrei11
Hi,
I am looking for a recommendation on pads and rotors for an RX350 (2016). Has anyone had any good experiences with aftermarket brake pads and rotors? Which combinations would you recommend?
For my previous vehicles I would often get Centric rotors (either from Rock Auto or on Amazon). The cost of the rotors was a fraction of what stealership wanted and were even much cheaper than the cost for resurface. I do my own brakes, so cost was minimal. For pads I would recommend Akebono, (got them at Pep Boys I think) although I had pretty good luck with Duralast since they have a lifetime warranty.....a real lifetime....like they wear out, you bring them back, they give you new ones. I put on a ton of miles per year but they lasted a long time! Previous vehicles were Acuras, so you would have to go onto Rock Auto and search for the particular rotors and pads for your vehicle.

Quick Reply: Rotors OEM or another brand?