RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rotors OEM or another brand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 05:01 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you! I ordered a set today from Rock Auto earlier today. Glad to hear good experience
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (05-19-23)
Old 05-18-23, 06:34 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
I have changed and done plenty of brakes on various different vehicles. I changed our old 2004 RX330 rotors and pads to the R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted pads and rotors on the fronts, partly for looks and also loved them on my former 09 XB. That thing stopped on a dime. For our 18 RX350L, I’m needing to change the front brakes. I ordered stoptech pads from tire rack, but I inspected the front rotors and they probably could use being replaced, I don’t know if they’ve been replaced, we bought the car used and it now has nearly 70k miles on it. Searching back on tire rack the only rotors they list are the centric plain. But I noticed if you search same year highlander they have some more options. After extensive research, no the Highlander rotors won’t fit. Surprisingly, the rotors from an Avalon, and Camry 2018-2020ish are the same as the RX350L. Considering the weight of the RX should be more than either of those, I’m a bit amazed. But now if you search tire rack or other sites and want aftermarket rotors you can find them in the 2018 and up Avalon/Camry search and maybe find something other than OEM, and still
have great quality rotors for less.
Maybe a little less rambling would help.
Old 05-18-23, 07:12 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I doubt there are rotors that are rust resistant unless you want to spend a pile of $. They all rust after sitting for a day or two if moisture is present.
Call me stupid, but is there such a thing as stainless steel rotors? Somebody out there should know. I am not a mechanical engineer but maybe it would be cost prohibitive. Help me out here.
Buck6197 (07-04-23)
Old 05-19-23, 05:43 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 478 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by jcg0324
Call me stupid, but is there such a thing as stainless steel rotors? Somebody out there should know. I am not a mechanical engineer but maybe it would be cost prohibitive. Help me out here.
I've never heard of SS rotors and I'm no engineer either, but I would guess that metal might not conduct heat as much?
Old 05-19-23, 06:59 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 404 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jcg0324
ChatGPT generated the following response:

Car brake rotors are not typically made from stainless steel for several reasons:

Cost: Stainless steel is more expensive than the materials commonly used for brake rotors, such as cast iron or composite materials. Car manufacturers aim to strike a balance between performance, durability, and cost-effectiveness, and stainless steel rotors would significantly increase the manufacturing cost of vehicles.

Thermal Conductivity: Stainless steel has lower thermal conductivity compared to cast iron, which is a popular material for brake rotors. During braking, the friction between the brake pads and rotors generates heat. Cast iron's higher thermal conductivity allows it to dissipate heat more efficiently, preventing brake fade and ensuring consistent braking performance.

Wear Resistance: Brake rotors must withstand intense friction and wear. Cast iron offers excellent wear resistance properties, making it suitable for prolonged use in braking systems. Stainless steel, while corrosion-resistant, may not provide the same level of wear resistance as cast iron, leading to accelerated rotor wear and reduced longevity.

Performance Considerations: Brake rotors need to meet specific performance requirements, such as weight, heat dissipation, and thermal expansion. Different rotor materials offer varying performance characteristics. Cast iron, for example, can handle high temperatures without significant deformation, making it suitable for heavy-duty braking applications.

Brake Noise: Brake rotors can generate noise during operation due to factors like vibration and uneven contact with the brake pads. Cast iron rotors have been extensively studied and optimized for noise reduction, whereas the acoustic properties of stainless steel may not be as well-suited for brake applications.

While stainless steel is used in some specialized applications, such as performance or racing vehicles, where specific performance criteria and cost considerations may differ, the majority of passenger cars and commercial vehicles utilize cast iron or other materials for brake rotors due to their favorable combination of performance, durability, and cost.

Bing and Bard came up with similar responses.
The following 2 users liked this post by bamalam:
jcg0324 (05-19-23), ravenuer (05-19-23)
Old 05-19-23, 08:04 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

It sounds like Bamalam knows all about rotors and that is a good thing. So, cast iron is the way to go but is there a difference between brands? We want to know if spending top dollar for rotors gets us better quality. I don't mind putting out the cash if I know it is a top of the line product. How much difference can there be between this piece of cast iron and that piece of cast iron? Maybe the way it is smelted?
Old 05-21-23, 10:49 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 147 Posts

I wouldn't trust anything that ChatGPT says.
Old 07-03-23, 09:41 PM
Nicholasypz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusn007
My 2016 has 60K on the clock and when I brake I'm feeling vibration.
Changed my brakes at 50K miles and rotors were ok. So now I need to decide to resurface rotors or buy new ones.
For those who replaced rotors - did you go with OEM or another brand? If other brand - who did you go with?

Thanks
All 4 rotors on my car went back and had to be machined when the car is only 2 years old at 8000 miles. Brakes felt weak even since dealership machined them, worse in winter almost feels like the each wheel has different braking powers causing unnecessary abs engagement driving on snow.

I was looking to replace all rotors and pads with EBC but also heard brake dust could be a major issue with them.
Old 07-04-23, 03:58 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nicholasypz
All 4 rotors on my car went back and had to be machined when the car is only 2 years old at 8000 miles. Brakes felt weak even since dealership machined them, worse in winter almost feels like the each wheel has different braking powers causing unnecessary abs engagement driving on snow.

I was looking to replace all rotors and pads with EBC but also heard brake dust could be a major issue with them.
All brakes create brake dust. It is a normal process of brakes wearing down and wearing out. 20% of solid pollutants in the air in a metropolitan area is from brake dust. Instead of EBC, look into Akebono brand brakes for high quality.
ravenuer (07-04-23)
Old 05-08-24, 11:03 AM
Rdoktbr
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotor Recommendation for 4th. Gen RX

Hello,
2017 RX350, 110K miles, AWD
Would you kindly recommend a brand of inexpensive front rotors for my RX?.
I do not drive hard and at the moment, am a bit strapped.
I've got read mixed reviews regarding brands from Amazon or Advance Auto.
The brands I've tried warped within a year.
Thank you.
Old 05-08-24, 11:29 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 441 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdoktbr
Hello,
Thank you.
I have had good luck with Centric rotors which can be purchased at Rock Auto. They will list compatible rotors at various price points.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus
Old 05-08-24, 03:13 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 560 Likes on 328 Posts

+1 for Centric. Cheap, quality alternative.
Old 05-09-24, 06:40 PM
Icemann
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdoktbr
Hello,
Thank you.
I am buying these for my 2017 RX450H. I bought this brand for my 2014 GS350 awd, love them!
Amazon Amazon