RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 01:12 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2016 RX350 Base-Transmission Wnky shifting

Have had my 2016 RX350 for about 3 weeks now. Taken a few trips to our beach home which is 100 miles each way along with some city driving and of course every day driving. For the most part, it drives very well, solid and smooth. The shifting of the transmission seems to be odd or all over the board at times. Sport mode does help but still odd at times. It winds out or hesitates when I punch it to make a hard right turn out of our neighborhood onto a busy roadway, it's down shifted hard after gunning it a bit at highway speed.
I purchased it from a large Toyota dealership with 25K on it. A lease turn in/ trade in. I know the Toyota dealership did an oil change and installed all new brake pads. I do not know of any TSB services.

Still have 8 months on the factory warranty and 75k or 4 years on the incl dealership extended powertrain warranty.

Suggestions or is this shifting normal??
Old 11-18-19, 02:41 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cropdustef
Have had my 2016 RX350 for about 3 weeks now. Taken a few trips to our beach home which is 100 miles each way along with some city driving and of course every day driving. For the most part, it drives very well, solid and smooth. The shifting of the transmission seems to be odd or all over the board at times. Sport mode does help but still odd at times. It winds out or hesitates when I punch it to make a hard right turn out of our neighborhood onto a busy roadway, it's down shifted hard after gunning it a bit at highway speed.
I purchased it from a large Toyota dealership with 25K on it. A lease turn in/ trade in. I know the Toyota dealership did an oil change and installed all new brake pads. I do not know of any TSB services.

Still have 8 months on the factory warranty and 75k or 4 years on the incl dealership extended powertrain warranty.

Suggestions or is this shifting normal??
In my opinion, what you are experiencing is normal for this vehicle. I even believe that temperature can effect how it shifts. The Service Manager at my dealership (a really great service department) told me that the TSB really helped, and that several people working at the dealership with 2016 RXs told him that the shifting was much improved.

I am scheduled to have the TSB done on my 16 at the end of the month during a regular service visit.
Old 11-18-19, 07:03 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
In my opinion, what you are experiencing is normal for this vehicle. I even believe that temperature can effect how it shifts. The Service Manager at my dealership (a really great service department) told me that the TSB really helped, and that several people working at the dealership with 2016 RXs told him that the shifting was much improved.

I am scheduled to have the TSB done on my 16 at the end of the month during a regular service visit.
most definitely the temperature affects how it drives. When it’s really cold the RX hesitates badly. Once it warms up it’s fine. That’s even after the TSB.
Old 11-18-19, 07:32 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
most definitely the temperature affects how it drives. When it’s really cold the RX hesitates badly. Once it warms up it’s fine. That’s even after the TSB.
I got the TSB and I definitely don't have any hesitation when it's cold, it is currenlty -10C (14 F) these days and it reacts very well on mine.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (11-18-19)
Old 11-18-19, 08:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I got the TSB and I definitely don't have any hesitation when it's cold, it is currenlty -10C (14 F) these days and it reacts very well on mine.
even when you first start it? Until it gets warmed up it’s a little jumpy. Once it’s warmed up it’s fine though. Drone is also worse when the engine is cold, gets better as it warms up.
Old 11-18-19, 09:09 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Curious, is there more then one person who drives your car?
I drive this RX 99% of the time with my wife driving it maybe 4 times a month locally. She complains too about the hesitation but not as much as I do. When the engine is cold, the hesitation and surge are really bad regardless of what driving mode you have selected. Once warmed up, it gets better but definitely not entirely. It's only visible when driving in city with stop and go traffic. Once on the highway on cruising speed, there's no hesitation or surge at all.
Old 11-18-19, 09:19 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It is available on post 1243 of this thread.
Thanks. I must've missed it somehow.
Old 11-18-19, 10:25 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
even when you first start it? Until it gets warmed up it’s a little jumpy. Once it’s warmed up it’s fine though. Drone is also worse when the engine is cold, gets better as it warms up.

Mind that I mostly start it from a warm garage...
Old 11-19-19, 03:03 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Be sure and get them to do TSB L-SB-0032-19. It has helped correct this problem.
I accomplished this yesterday. The dealership service had it most of the day. They applied the TSB flash fix as well as the outstanding recall... Safety Connect service. The shifting is perfect now. What a difference.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (11-19-19)
Old 11-20-19, 07:55 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cropdustef
I accomplished this yesterday. The dealership service had it most of the day. They applied the TSB flash fix as well as the outstanding recall... Safety Connect service. The shifting is perfect now. What a difference.
Lucky you! Mine said they won’t do it as they can’t replicate what I’m experiencing. I’m like really?! They kept my car for 5 days. I’m going to have to go to a different dealership. I can still feel it
Old 11-20-19, 09:20 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Lucky you! Mine said they won’t do it as they can’t replicate what I’m experiencing. I’m like really?! They kept my car for 5 days. I’m going to have to go to a different dealership. I can still feel it
If the TSB applies to your VIN tell them you want it done, simple as that, if they refuse take it up with Lexus head Office. The dealer shouldn't have a problem performing the upgrade, it's easy, quick and going by people on here works.
Old 11-21-19, 02:49 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Originally Posted by Sevn86
They did test drive it and the tech claimed he noticed what I had described. I had also noted a droning sound at about 45-50mph and 1400-1500 RPMs. Service department claimed that was from the aftermarket tires. Fact is, once the TSB was applied, I no longer hear the droning. Not top of the line tires but they're new and came with the car when I bought it3 weeks ago.....Laufen S-Fits. BTW, I have the 18" wheels.
Old 11-25-19, 08:41 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the TSB done last week and it make a difference when driving. I did notice that when I reverse out of my driveway in the mornings (RX is kept in garage) and I stop (still in reverse) the revs jump from 500 to 1500. Its keeps jumping back and forth. It feels like stuttering. This only happens when I first the vehicle. I am on a hill if that matters. Has anyone noticed the same?
Old 11-25-19, 09:10 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by 1halifax
I had the TSB done last week and it make a difference when driving. I did notice that when I reverse out of my driveway in the mornings (RX is kept in garage) and I stop (still in reverse) the revs jump from 500 to 1500. Its keeps jumping back and forth. It feels like stuttering. This only happens when I first the vehicle. I am on a hill if that matters. Has anyone noticed the same?
Did that start right after they did the TSB? If so, I'd give them a call and see what they say.
Old 11-25-19, 09:20 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Did that start right after they did the TSB? If so, I'd give them a call and see what they say.
It started the next morning after I got the vehicle back.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)