RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 01:37 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguyen
My 2019 didn't come with the latest flash. They flashed it when I took it in for excessive drone&vibration and hesitation. None of their fixes worked.
Lexus clearly does not have a fix at this time. Took my 2019 RX 359L in last week for hesitation problems and no change, though I thought that the “hunting” for gears on an incline was possibly better, after a 1300 mile trip since the re-flash, it’s no better. Low speed acceleration from 3-5 mph is terrible; it hesitates for maybe 2-3 seconds, then downshifts, and with a jerk, accelerates dangerously towards cars just ahead. Then, at freeway speed, it will hesitate as long as 4 seconds after slowing to about 60 mph in traffic then accelerating to catch up to traffic flow of 75 to 80. The wild low geared downshift jerks hard, revs to 5000 - 5500 rpm and bolts forward. There are times when the engine revs very high, but acceleration is lacking as though it’s slipping. This software, and drive by wire system that Toyota has installed in these cars, is IMO, dangerous! Remember the Toyota that accelerated out of control in 2009 in Santee, CA? Be careful folks, my car accelerated similar to that while traveling to San Francisco last week and it exceeded the preset speed of the cruise control. I quickly tapped the brake then cancelled the cruise. Very scary to say the least. The car is going back the dealer ASAP.
Old 08-26-19, 02:12 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Lexus clearly does not have a fix at this time. Took my 2019 RX 359L in last week for hesitation problems and no change, though I thought that the “hunting” for gears on an incline was possibly better, after a 1300 mile trip since the re-flash, it’s no better. Low speed acceleration from 3-5 mph is terrible; it hesitates for maybe 2-3 seconds, then downshifts, and with a jerk, accelerates dangerously towards cars just ahead. Then, at freeway speed, it will hesitate as long as 4 seconds after slowing to about 60 mph in traffic then accelerating to catch up to traffic flow of 75 to 80. The wild low geared downshift jerks hard, revs to 5000 - 5500 rpm and bolts forward. There are times when the engine revs very high, but acceleration is lacking as though it’s slipping. This software, and drive by wire system that Toyota has installed in these cars, is IMO, dangerous! Remember the Toyota that accelerated out of control in 2009 in Santee, CA? Be careful folks, my car accelerated similar to that while traveling to San Francisco last week and it exceeded the preset speed of the cruise control. I quickly tapped the brake then cancelled the cruise. Very scary to say the least. The car is going back the dealer ASAP.
Are you 100% sure they did the new 0032-19 TSB and not the old one? Do you have it on the receipt? The new TSB actually helps the most in the lower RPM range so it’s weird that you have those issues. The way you describe it just sounds like they reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, not actually updating it.
Old 08-26-19, 06:49 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Are you 100% sure they did the new 0032-19 TSB and not the old one? Do you have it on the receipt? The new TSB actually helps the most in the lower RPM range so it’s weird that you have those issues. The way you describe it just sounds like they reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, not actually updating it.
After describing the drivability issues to the service writer (before the re-flash), the service writer and shop foreman didn’t know about this TSB; I had to enlighten them. Interestingly enough, the notes in the techs narrative stated that this should solve the higher speed issue, and nothing said about the low speed hesitation?
Old 08-26-19, 08:20 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

After describing the drivability issues to the service writer (before the re-flash), the service writer and shop foreman didn’t know about this TSB; I had to enlighten them. Interestingly enough, the notes in the techs narrative stated that this should solve the higher speed issue, and nothing said about the low speed hesitation?
They're playing dumb. These issues have been around since the 2016 model year. This thread and the drone&vibration threads say it all. They'll wear you out and drain you emotionally so that you'll move on.
The following users liked this post:
xxx350L (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 02:27 PM
johnhey
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BensonTT
Anyone in Canada got the new TSB fix? Please
For Canadian:
I went to dealer in Toronto 8 days ago and asked for TSB. they performed L-TCI-5285 on my car. it is stated in my invoice so no doubt about TSB number. (equivalent for US is: L-SB-0032-19)
Please post your result if you got same.

Result:
I drove the car for a week, absolutely zero improvement for hesitation, the car is same as before.

Question:
I see in L-TCI-5285 (Canada)/L-SB-0032-19(US) pdf document (thanks computerwi for posting) that they should affix the Authorized Modifications Label under my hood bottom right .
I do not see it in my car, those who did the TSB, do you have that label?
Old 08-28-19, 06:33 AM
Eric0201
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhey
For Canadian:
I went to dealer in Toronto 8 days ago and asked for TSB. they performed L-TCI-5285 on my car. it is stated in my invoice so no doubt about TSB number. (equivalent for US is: L-SB-0032-19)
Please post your result if you got same.

Result:
I drove the car for a week, absolutely zero improvement for hesitation, the car is same as before.

Question:
I see in L-TCI-5285 (Canada)/L-SB-0032-19(US) pdf document (thanks computerwi for posting) that they should affix the Authorized Modifications Label under my hood bottom right .
I do not see it in my car, those who did the TSB, do you have that label?
I did not apply L-TCI-5285 yet. I will ask dealer check this TSB in next time. I need to replace the side mirror and I am waiting the part now.
I will give you an update when I finish it. Can you PM me the invoice?
Old 08-28-19, 11:57 AM
Dugout
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BensonTT
Anyone in Canada got the new TSB fix? Please
Yes. 2018 RX 350. I live in Toronto. Had it in for the hesitation in acceleration, a tach that kept revving up and down while at stops, and the RPM's getting stuck at 4,500 when cruise control was on. This was BEFORE I received the ECU recall. Lexus dealership said they were aware of the issues (but not the cruise control issue) and would reset the ECU. Was better for a brief period (Maybe 2-3 weeks) then reverted back to the hesitation in acceleration - although the revving of RPM's and cruise control seemed fixed. Brought it back in for the recall after I had received the recall notification a few months later and mentioned the hesitation hadn't improved. They said the recall would fix it. It did not. Same thing...was better for a few weeks. I called Lexus back and they said it was because the computer learns to adapt to my driving style. Not sure there's ever a situation where I make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic and my driving style is such that I choose to NOT accelerate at that exact moment to avoid getting T-boned.
This is my 3rd RX and I've never had this issue before. I can only assume it's the new 8 speed transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dugout:
BensonTT (09-03-19), xxx350L (09-17-19)
Old 08-28-19, 12:53 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Dugout
Yes. 2018 RX 350. I live in Toronto. Had it in for the hesitation in acceleration, a tach that kept revving up and down while at stops, and the RPM's getting stuck at 4,500 when cruise control was on. This was BEFORE I received the ECU recall. Lexus dealership said they were aware of the issues (but not the cruise control issue) and would reset the ECU. Was better for a brief period (Maybe 2-3 weeks) then reverted back to the hesitation in acceleration - although the revving of RPM's and cruise control seemed fixed. Brought it back in for the recall after I had received the recall notification a few months later and mentioned the hesitation hadn't improved. They said the recall would fix it. It did not. Same thing...was better for a few weeks. I called Lexus back and they said it was because the computer learns to adapt to my driving style. Not sure there's ever a situation where I make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic and my driving style is such that I choose to NOT accelerate at that exact moment to avoid getting T-boned.
This is my 3rd RX and I've never had this issue before. I can only assume it's the new 8 speed transmission.
Did you receive any paperwork from them when you got the car back saying it was in fact the equivalent of the US TSB 0032-19? Sounds like they simply reset the ECU, not upgraded it. Of course the problem comes back
Old 08-28-19, 04:06 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dugout
Wow! I experienced the exact same thing while using the cruise control recently. The car accelerated and would not come down from 4500 rpm; disengaged the cruise and rpm remained high. Scary! I spoke with Lexus customer service just today, and I stated that this car is “unsafe.”

Last edited by xxx350L; 09-02-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 07:16 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new software fix has been wonderful for my RX. The hesitation before was driving me crazy and driving in ECO was as bad. Thank you Lexus for fixing the problem before I seriously considered trading my RX for the new Audi Q8.
Old 08-31-19, 06:45 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
The new software fix has been wonderful for my RX. The hesitation before was driving me crazy and driving in ECO was as bad. Thank you Lexus for fixing the problem before I seriously considered trading my RX for the new Audi Q8.
What year is your RX? Thanks.
Old 09-01-19, 07:08 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a late 2016
Old 09-01-19, 07:30 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
It is a late 2016
Thanks for the reply. I find it interesting how later models, such as mine (2019), don’t improve with the TSB.
Old 09-02-19, 09:16 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! I experienced the exact same thing while using the cruise control recently. The car accelerated and would come down from 4500 rpm; disengaged the cruise, and rpm remained high. Scary! I spoke with Lexus customer service just today and said that this car is “unsafe.”
Add my '17 to the list of RPM getting stuck high sometimes but not only on cruise but also while using S modes and pushing it a bit then letting off and the thing stays at very high RPP for several seconds. I usually then switch to eco to try to bring it down to reality.
Old 09-03-19, 06:24 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrmonster
Add my '17 to the list of RPM getting stuck high sometimes but not only on cruise but also while using S modes and pushing it a bit then letting off and the thing stays at very high RPP for several seconds. I usually then switch to eco to try to bring it down to reality.
Drove 2 hrs in Orange County, CA traffic today to the dealer that sold me the car 5 months ago, and that was Newport Lexis in Newport Beach, CA. A total waste of time, as service writer says “there’s nothing we can do”, the TSB was done and there are no further updates. Seriously! The sales manager doesn’t want it back because it’s “ defective “ and would go to auction. Really, then every RX on the lot with an 8 speed needs to go to auction! WTH. We spend 60K on a Lexus and this is what we get. My fight is far from over. Stand by.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)