RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 09:56 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Drove 2 hrs in Orange County, CA traffic today to the dealer that sold me the car 5 months ago, and that was Newport Lexis in Newport Beach, CA. A total waste of time, as service writer says “there’s nothing we can do”, the TSB was done and there are no further updates. Seriously! The sales manager doesn’t want it back because it’s “ defective “ and would go to auction. Really, then every RX on the lot with an 8 speed needs to go to auction! WTH. We spend 60K on a Lexus and this is what we get. My fight is far from over. Stand by.
What a shame, I owned Toyota for 30 years and the latest Lexus experience has undone all of it. Here are the problems with my 2019 RX 350
Hesitation - LSB helped a lot, but it still hesitates from time to time
Drone&Vibration - The drone hurts my ears and literally damages my hearing everything I drive. The car vibrates like an old used Dodge, even at idle. LSB made it worse.
Gear switching - Every time I switch into Reverse, I get a loud thunk that buckles the car.
Suspension squeaks - Squeaks coming from the rear.

I'll bring the car in one more time, but I have 0 hope. Next up, hire a lemon attorney.
Old 09-10-19, 08:47 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Pedal Commander

Here’s a solution for throttle lag/hesitation on our RX 350. I’ve checked reviews and it’s all good. I will be purchasing this soon. My review will follow after driving city and highway for maybe 500 mi.
https://pedalcommander.com/pages/pro...rk_base~qj_3-5
Old 09-10-19, 09:51 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Here’s a solution for throttle lag/hesitation on our RX 350. I’ve checked reviews and it’s all good. I will be purchasing this soon. My review will follow after driving city and highway for maybe 500 mi.
https://pedalcommander.com/pages/pro...rk_base~qj_3-5
Let us know how it works. I’m really convinced the TSB doesn’t work on the 2019 because they did something to the gas pedal for 2019. When I had a loaner the pedal was extremely stiff compared to my 2017. The throttle response was not linear, you had to press it harder then the 2017.
Old 09-10-19, 10:27 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Let us know how it works. I’m really convinced the TSB doesn’t work on the 2019 because they did something to the gas pedal for 2019. When I had a loaner the pedal was extremely stiff compared to my 2017. The throttle response was not linear, you had to press it harder then the 2017.
That is first thing I noticed about our new 2019 RX350. The pedal pressure required is far greater than that of our 2013 RX350.
Old 09-10-19, 10:30 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I will give my personal review in about 60 days. See my PM to you for more information. Thanks.
Old 09-12-19, 04:35 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Drove 2 hrs in Orange County, CA traffic today to the dealer that sold me the car 5 months ago, and that was Newport Lexis in Newport Beach, CA. A total waste of time, as service writer says “there’s nothing we can do”, the TSB was done and there are no further updates. Seriously! The sales manager doesn’t want it back because it’s “ defective “ and would go to auction. Really, then every RX on the lot with an 8 speed needs to go to auction! WTH. We spend 60K on a Lexus and this is what we get. My fight is far from over. Stand by.
I'm sorry you're having these issues but reading your description of the issues you seem to be having a different issue with the transmission. The ECU flash has completely resolved all my issues with the 8-speed with one exception - when slowing down I now occasionally feel the 3-2 downshift as the car slows - not a big deal. Absolutely no hesitation, no gear hunting, no clunk when going into reverse. In short the transmission behaves as I expect it to now.

As I said I suspect your issue is different....good luck!
Old 09-12-19, 08:23 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 144 Posts

PWMDMD, Hi. I'm from Ma. also and can you tell me what Lexus dealership you went to for service. I bought my 2018 RX at Lexus of Northborough and their service sucks! I told them about my trans. problem, gave them all the TSB numbers, and they refused to do anything but drive it around and say "it's normal". I lost all respect for the Lexus brand because of this "say one thing, do another" dealership. I want to get my RX to run like a Lexus! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 09-13-19, 04:52 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by autotech13
PWMDMD, Hi. I'm from Ma. also and can you tell me what Lexus dealership you went to for service. I bought my 2018 RX at Lexus of Northborough and their service sucks! I told them about my trans. problem, gave them all the TSB numbers, and they refused to do anything but drive it around and say "it's normal". I lost all respect for the Lexus brand because of this "say one thing, do another" dealership. I want to get my RX to run like a Lexus! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I bought and serviced my Rx at Lexus of Northborough. I simply copied the symptoms listed in the TSB into my online scheduling request and they applied the TSB no questions asked....
Old 09-14-19, 05:43 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 144 Posts

I've never tried on line scheduling. Do you think that might help me get the TSB's done? I would like to try Herb Chambers Lexus of Sharon. At least I would have the TSB's in writing with the on line scheduling.
Thanks
Old 09-14-19, 09:54 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by autotech13
I've never tried on line scheduling. Do you think that might help me get the TSB's done? I would like to try Herb Chambers Lexus of Sharon. At least I would have the TSB's in writing with the on line scheduling.
Thanks
I don't think online will make any difference. FWIW...I've always liked all the Herb Chambers dealerships regardless of which brand they are selling. They are my preferred "go to" but Sharon is significantly father away than Northborough and Northborough was willing to match whatever deal Sharon was going to give me.
Old 09-16-19, 08:21 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dugout
Yes. 2018 RX 350. I live in Toronto. Had it in for the hesitation in acceleration, a tach that kept revving up and down while at stops, and the RPM's getting stuck at 4,500 when cruise control was on. This was BEFORE I received the ECU recall. Lexus dealership said they were aware of the issues (but not the cruise control issue) and would reset the ECU. Was better for a brief period (Maybe 2-3 weeks) then reverted back to the hesitation in acceleration - although the revving of RPM's and cruise control seemed fixed. Brought it back in for the recall after I had received the recall notification a few months later and mentioned the hesitation hadn't improved. They said the recall would fix it. It did not. Same thing...was better for a few weeks. I called Lexus back and they said it was because the computer learns to adapt to my driving style. Not sure there's ever a situation where I make a left hand turn into oncoming traffic and my driving style is such that I choose to NOT accelerate at that exact moment to avoid getting T-boned.
This is my 3rd RX and I've never had this issue before. I can only assume it's the new 8 speed transmission.
You’re the ONLY other person (other than myself) who I’ve heard of that reporting the tach reving up and down at stops.

I also had the tach that would occasionally rev up and down at stops. This happened over last fall/winter. For some reason it has gone away for the last 6 months without me doing anything to it. At the time, I wondered whether it was the gasoline, but I switched brands and the problem persisted.

Anyhow, the problem is gone (for now) and hasn’t come back...
Old 09-18-19, 02:24 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default Tach rev up with CC

Originally Posted by arrowroot
You’re the ONLY other person (other than myself) who I’ve heard of that reporting the tach reving up and down at stops.

I also had the tach that would occasionally rev up and down at stops. This happened over last fall/winter. For some reason it has gone away for the last 6 months without me doing anything to it. At the time, I wondered whether it was the gasoline, but I switched brands and the problem persisted.

Anyhow, the problem is gone (for now) and hasn’t come back...
We’re on a road trip to Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes, and I’ve experienced unexplained revving and acceleration while using the cruise control. Happened while on the drive up a few days ago, and it happened three times today while driving to and from Yosemite. These incidents occurred while cruising at 65 with cruise control on, and while approaching a slight grade, the transmission downshifts to pull the grade but then accelerates past the set speed of 65 and the engine revs to 4500+ rpm. The RPM then hangs there at 4500 and requires immediate cancellation of the cruise control to stop the acceleration. The third time it happened today was not on a climb, but on a downhill...very scary. Needless to say, I will no longer use the cruise control on this trip, or anytime for that matter. I’m now convinced that the accident that occurred in 2009, killing a family in Santee, CA, was related to drive by wire/cruise control and NOT floor mats. A recall on the ECM needs to go out ASAP before an unaware driver of this issue is killed. My wife says, “I will not drive this car.”

Last edited by xxx350L; 09-18-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 02:54 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

We’re on a road trip to Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes, and I’ve experienced unexplained revving and acceleration while using the cruise control. Happened while on the drive up a few days ago, and it happened three times today while driving to and from Yosemite. These incidents occurred while cruising at 65 with cruise control on, and while approaching a slight grade, the transmission downshifts to pull the grade but then accelerates past the set speed of 65 and the engine revs to 4500+ rpm. The RPM then hangs there at 4500 and requires immediate cancellation of the cruise control to stop the acceleration. The third time it happened today was not on a climb, but on a downhill...very scary. Needless to say, I will no longer use the cruise control on this trip, or anytime for that matter. I’m now convinced that the accident that occurred in 2009, killing a family in Santee, CA, was related to drive by wire/cruise control and NOT floor mats. A recall on the ECM needs to go out ASAP before an unaware driver of this issue is killed. My wife says, “I will not drive this car.”
It's hard to issue a recall on the ECM for a problem that may affect a tiny % of cars - quite possibly a problem so small Lexus hasn't even defined it as a problem at this point. It's also a stretch to say the unintended acceleration problem in 2009 was caused by the same problem. You are clearly emotional about this and you should be - what you described sounds scary. I think you're options are to report it to Lexus and try and help them find/identify the problem (could be something as simple as a randomly malfunctioning computer that is easily replaced and not a systemic problem affecting many cars) or getting rid of it. No one will know until Lexus investigates and no I'm not convinced a single report is going to mobilize Lexus engineering to descend on your dealership for emergency diagnostics and testing but it starts with reporting it Lexus.
Old 09-18-19, 04:17 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I did not experience the high revving, but more than once on cruise control up and down grades it does not keep the set speed; it allows the speed to go above & below the set one.

My MB E350 would not allow more than 1Km in difference or maybe not even that little for I've never noticed the speedometer to change from the set speed. I expected more from Lexus in this department.
Old 09-18-19, 04:42 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
It's hard to issue a recall on the ECM for a problem that may affect a tiny % of cars - quite possibly a problem so small Lexus hasn't even defined it as a problem at this point. It's also a stretch to say the unintended acceleration problem in 2009 was caused by the same problem. You are clearly emotional about this and you should be - what you described sounds scary. I think you're options are to report it to Lexus and try and help them find/identify the problem (could be something as simple as a randomly malfunctioning computer that is easily replaced and not a systemic problem affecting many cars) or getting rid of it. No one will know until Lexus investigates and no I'm not convinced a single report is going to mobilize Lexus engineering to descend on your dealership for emergency diagnostics and testing but it starts with reporting it Lexus.
The first incident of this problem was reported to Lexus, by me in person, on August 8, 2019. They did not try to replicate, and proceeded to address the hesitation issue with a computer re-flash. No change. I’ll be talking to Lexus again soon. Thank you for your response.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)