RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 07:59 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by technodis
I’m out of warranty now but going to a Houston dealer to have this TSB applied. Anyone have a good service advisor/dealer who will not give me the runaround and just apply the TSB like I ask? I hate the normal “unable to reproduce the problem” or “operating as normal” lines. Nothing drives me more crazy than that.
Can anyone just go in and pay for an update and if so, I wonder how much it costs?? In this case you would not have to "prove" you have the hesitation problem.
Old 07-27-19, 08:17 AM
keneaise
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the update free of charge yesterday. the bulletin applies to all rx 350 from 2016 through 2019 providing they have fewer than 80,000 miles on them. My dealer does it for anyone who asks (only 2 including me so far in Melbourne, FL). The service bulletin does give the technician an "out" if he does not want to do it because the tsb asks he check to be sure the symptoms are there when he test drives it. My guy did not test drive. The update made a big difference in acceleration and hesitation. Unless they just want to be a jerk, they should do it for you. If you have a previous record of taking it in for the problem, they would certainly have to do it. Again, although they dont consider it a "repair", they did not charge me anything to do it.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (07-27-19)
Old 07-30-19, 03:33 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
I'm on day 3 of the latest TSB and driving in Normal mode and no hesitation or shifting issues! So far a favorable response.
Brought car in today for 5000 mile service. I just copied the TSB description in my complain and they applied the TSB with no questions asked. Service advisor even asked if I wanted to drive with a tech - I said no thanks, just apply the TSB and she said ok.

I've only driven the car about 10 miles but my my initial thoughts are the 1-2 shifts which where at times abrupt (almost like fuel was being cutoff mid-way through the shift) seem smoother and the whole drivetrain seems more responsive.
Old 07-30-19, 03:40 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by autotech13
PWMDMD, the bucking seems to be only when the car is first started in the morning and leaving the driveway with a light throttle. The dealership cannot make it happen because they are on a very busy 4 lane road, which is rt 9, so you cannot leave their place without hitting the gas to move with traffic. This is why maybe they can't produce the bucking, your going too fast in the first place. So, they should be telling me this instead of refusing to apply the TSB.
Common sense you think????
Lexus of Northborough applied the TSB TSB L-SB-0032-19 at my 5000 mile service no questions asked. I just copied the TSB description in the complaint section of the online appt system. I worked with Paula - she didn't ask too many questions and in the end the appt was uneventful.
Old 07-31-19, 12:08 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Subjectively, the car seems to shift smoother and acceleration seems smoother and more responsive. Very happy with TSB -SB-0032-19.
Old 07-31-19, 04:15 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

PWMDMD, you are so lucky to get the TSB L-0032-19 at Northborough! They refused to apply it to my 2018 RX even when I told them that I am a retired automotive instructor, plus I even gave them the TSB number! I am not happy with them at all.
Old 07-31-19, 04:30 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

PWMDMD, you are so lucky to get the TSB L-0032-19 at Northborough! They refused to apply it to my 2018 RX even when I told them that I am a retired automotive instructor, plus I even gave them the TSB number! I am not happy with them at all.
What is their reason for not doing it? If it applies to your car they shouldn’t be able to refuse you. I just checked them out, 3.5 stars on yelp, no wonder. Try finding a dealer with at least 4 stars on yelp and drive there. It makes a difference as crazy as it sounds. Those dealers strive for the best service. Did you buy the car from Northborough?
Old 08-01-19, 07:30 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

DMPesso, the reason according to the service writer was that the tech could not find anything to validate the TSB. So I guess that the tech has the last word no matter what the customer wants! And yes, I did buy the car from them, and it will be my last too!
Old 08-01-19, 12:58 PM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

DMPesso, the reason according to the service writer was that the tech could not find anything to validate the TSB. So I guess that the tech has the last word no matter what the customer wants! And yes, I did buy the car from them, and it will be my last too!
Just had the transmission TSB done at Lexus of Hingham. No questions asked, it was done in a day. So far I am very happy with the results.
Old 08-01-19, 01:02 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Leave as many bad reviews around the web detailing your experience as you can.
Old 08-01-19, 03:38 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Leave as many bad reviews around the web detailing your experience as you can.
Or....and call me a grown up here....he could try calling the service advisor and speaking to them about how his last service did not meet his expectations and explain why. My guess is the service advisor had no idea this meant as much to him as it did. As a business owner who sometimes feels completely sideswiped by a seemingly random review I can say in most cases if the person had just voiced their issue nicely it could've been resolved easily. If after speaking to someone at Northborough they are still not receptive to his request then he can spend time smearing their good name on the internet.
The following 4 users liked this post by PWMDMD:
GSFRX350 (08-01-19), PeeVee (08-02-19), rxtimes2 (08-02-19), xxx350L (08-01-19)
Old 08-02-19, 11:51 AM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to this thread. I convinced the dealer to do the TSB update and the RX drives so much better to the point I'm getting a 3mpg improvement
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (08-03-19)
Old 08-06-19, 08:12 AM
Eric0201
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone did this software update in Canada?
Old 08-06-19, 08:42 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric0201
If anyone did this software update in Canada?
I did a mandatory software update late fall early spring (cant remember) even though by my VIN it wasn't needed, dealer insisted I do it. Had to do with the front radar stopping cars in auto-car washes.

I dont have any of the problems mentioned herein.
Old 08-09-19, 03:49 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I now have 2,100 mi on my ‘19 RX350L, and only one complaint: 8 speed shift strategy. After every startup I immediately go to sport mode and, depending on conditions, this trans will quickly try to upshift and then hunt back and forth on uphill grades. Very annoying and, since I came from a BMW X3 M40i with a ZF 8 speed, this makes me not want to get behind the wheel because the Bimmer spoiled me. My personal fix, for now, is to go to “S” mode, limit the up shifts to 5 or 6, and take it to 3500 or 4000 rpm on every shift. Once out on the freeway, upshift to 7 and eventually 8. Once back on surface streets I manually downshift back to 4th and go from there. A PITA for sure. The car has not yet been back to the dealer for anything since the purchase in March. I’m aware of the TSB, but this car does not have the drone issue, just poor shift strategy. Anyone else experience this and have a solution?
Also, it’s never been fueled with anything less than Chevron 89 octane (for what it’s worth).

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)