RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 03:19 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
There may or may not be any other examples of your "strong push" downshift on this forum -- I don't remember hearing about it.

Do svedanjia!
I think it's just the way he describes it - when the transmission is in a higher gear and suddenly it changes down a gear as you have given it more throttle. Just the normal trait of the mapping for this car.
Old 09-12-21, 03:27 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by WingDenny
Took our 2017 RX 350 back to the Lexus dealership after previously having 2 service bulletins done to address the "shifting" hesitation and the drone noise in the low gears around the 3rd and 4th.They confirmed that ALL of the 2016-2021 RX350 models have the same "issue" and as stated above some drivers notice it while others do not. It all depends of how the driver accelerates and what the driving conditions are (start from a dead stop, ascending a grade, rounding a corner and then accelerating, etc.). I have driven the 2011 RX 350 for years without any such issue but it is a 6 speed as compared to this 8 speed. I was told the other day by the dealership master mechanic and garage supervisor that Lexus is well aware of the "concern" and have noticed the ES does not perform the same way and there is some discussion in future builds to use the ES transmission in the RX 350s. He encouraged me to contact Lexus corporation, as I have already done and been assigned a case number, to further voice my displeasure with the driving experience. He will channel additional data from his position up through the channel as well.
It's not the actual transmission, it works fine, it's the software mapping.
The mapping was specifically designed to try to improve fuel consumption, it's a heavy car and does chew through the fuel so they made it change up gears sooner then you often would like. It depends on your driving style and if the area is hilly or flat, driving gently around a flat area the car can perform faultlessly, smooooth as, but drive harder and/or throw in some hills where you are turning at intersections and the constant up-changing of the gears too soon becomes annoying. That's when I use Sports mode where it holds the gears longer and feels much smoother.
If they did the TSB correctly the new software "should" make it feel better, more like Sports mode in Normal mode.
Again, it's all purely in how Lexus have written the software, nothing to do with the actual mechanical side of things.
The following users liked this post:
WingDenny (09-13-21)
Old 09-12-21, 03:49 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
It's not the actual transmission, it works fine, it's the software mapping.
The mapping was specifically designed to try to improve fuel consumption, it's a heavy car and does chew through the fuel so they made it change up gears sooner then you often would like. It depends on your driving style and if the area is hilly or flat, driving gently around a flat area the car can perform faultlessly, smooooth as, but drive harder and/or throw in some hills where you are turning at intersections and the constant up-changing of the gears too soon becomes annoying. That's when I use Sports mode where it holds the gears longer and feels much smoother.
If they did the TSB correctly the new software "should" make it feel better, more like Sports mode in Normal mode.
Again, it's all purely in how Lexus have written the software, nothing to do with the actual mechanical side of things.
Unless I was on I95 going from NY to FL, I always used Sport mode in my 2017 RX. Never had an issue.
WingDenny (09-13-21)
Old 09-12-21, 03:55 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Unless I was on I95 going from NY to FL, I always used Sport mode in my 2017 RX. Never had an issue.
Yep, you probably drive around in a high density area, lots of stops/starts, hills, etc and it will work far better in Sports mode. I live in a small town (30,000), mostly flat, usually drive gently as I'm not rushing around and it drives fine, love it. But when I visit a city where you need more "go" I use Sport mode otherwise that gear changing going up gear too soon becomes a pain.
Old 09-12-21, 06:27 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Yep, you probably drive around in a high density area, lots of stops/starts, hills, etc and it will work far better in Sports mode. I live in a small town (30,000), mostly flat, usually drive gently as I'm not rushing around and it drives fine, love it. But when I visit a city where you need more "go" I use Sport mode otherwise that gear changing going up gear too soon becomes a pain.
Yes, I live on Long Island, NY. It is busy!
The following 3 users liked this post by ravenuer:
Cocal (09-13-21), GSFRX350 (09-12-21), raylor4 (09-13-21)
Old 09-13-21, 07:18 PM
LoganRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the 2021 have these problems?
Old 09-13-21, 09:52 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WingDenny
As per service bulletin, I had the exhaust center pipe replaced because of the loud "droning" noise when the vehicle shifted in lower gears. It now sounds somewhat loud all of the time!!!! I also had service bulletin0032-19 for "bucking and surge" or hesitation but believe it has done NOTHING!!!!!!!! I was told secretly by the dealership service writer that ALL of the RX 350s have a hesitation problem?? Was at a July Christmas party and another guest has a 2017 like mine and I asked her. She immediately brought her husband over and said, "see, I am not nuts, I told you the suv does not shift right". She mainly drives the vehicle. Very disappointed in this vehicle after having a 2011 for 7 years, I want it back!!!
We sold our '11 to get the new electconical features. Overall, I think the '11 is a better car, but my wife likes the '21's electronic features. Our engine sounded awful until we put in a tank of premium. The engine sounds great now. There was hesitation when accelerating out of a turn at an intersection, but I don't notice it anymore. Maybe artificial intelligence is working.
WingDenny (09-14-21)
Old 09-13-21, 09:56 PM
Dima009
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loganrx
do the 2021 have these problems?
​​​​​​Все без изменений. Эти проблемы существуют
Old 09-14-21, 08:49 AM
WingDenny
Driver School Candidate

Going to give the premium gas a try even though I believe it is a mapping issue but who knows.
Old 09-14-21, 08:51 AM
WingDenny
Driver School Candidate

It is my understanding that the 2021s have the same "concern" as per a conversation with the master mechanic at the Lexus dealership but some people do not notice it.
Old 10-13-21, 01:34 AM
kms518
Driver School Candidate

Default 2016 RX Sport Slow acceleration

Anyone have the RX 350 Sport? I have noticed after braking at a light or stop sign, the RX is slow to move, even when given more gas. This is a recent purchase as I am very disapointed this is my 3rd Lexus and I have never had any problem with acceleration.
Old 10-14-21, 05:18 PM
eddie420

Received 613 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by kms518
Anyone have the RX 350 Sport? I have noticed after braking at a light or stop sign, the RX is slow to move, even when given more gas. This is a recent purchase as I am very disapointed this is my 3rd Lexus and I have never had any problem with acceleration.
Are you driving in ECO mode? Have you tried changing it to Sport or Sports+ mode?
Cocal (10-15-21)
Old 10-14-21, 06:15 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by kms518
😀😀 you are asking your question on page 111 of people expressing their similar experience with the same issue.... 😀😀
Old 10-16-21, 08:51 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I’m curious of those that are having the hesitation issues, if they are at a high altitude or a low altitude or if that plays any part in the issue? I’m at 1500ft above sea level & our octane levels are lower because of it. Places like Denver are even higher & have even lower octane levels. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this, as our engines are supposed to self adjust for altitude & octane levels, so that should not be a factor in the hesitation.
Old 10-16-21, 08:57 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

There is only so much that the computer can compensate for lower octane level, that's why the manual says not to go below 87.
In cases like this there is no choice but to move up to 89 or even better 91 octane.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)