RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 05:07 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxyen
On a different note, is there something we can do to bring this issue to the attention of Lexus or maybe even the NHTSA? Given how widespread this issue is and the fact that there's been 1600 posts on this thread about this issue, is there something we can do as a collective?
Lexus is well aware, they have issed 3 TSBs over the years to alleviate the issue. There's 1600 posts, not 1600 different people, there are a number of multiple posts by the same people.

Not everyone find the hesitation a problem, it depends on driving style and/or the terrain so Lexus only update the software as requested by customers.

Old 05-19-21, 08:58 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Aha, so they didn't check to see if the car actually DID have the update. You could just do it yourself, keeping in mind you'll lose your settings for everything but as you are so fed up with it you MAY be keen to try anything.
I am desperate and will try anything. Do you know where I can find step by step instructions on how to disconnect the battery? I am useless when it comes to this stuff so the more detailed the instruction, the better. Thanks.
Old 05-19-21, 09:02 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rxyen
I noticed something interesting recently. I've been using Costco regular gas in the past but just switched to Shell yesterday. There was a marked improvement in the hesitation issue. Felt better throttle response, shifting, and power delivery. Wanted to share in case someone want to try switching gas.

On a different note, is there something we can do to bring this issue to the attention of Lexus or maybe even the NHTSA? Given how widespread this issue is and the fact that there's been 1600 posts on this thread about this issue, is there something we can do as a collective?
That is really interesting because I exclusively use Costco gas since the gas station near me is so expensive (I just checked and its $4.39 for regular & $4.69 for premium). I will look for a Shell next time, thanks for the tip!
Old 05-19-21, 10:13 AM
FLM99
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Quality

Originally Posted by joytoy999
That is really interesting because I exclusively use Costco gas since the gas station near me is so expensive (I just checked and its $4.39 for regular & $4.69 for premium). I will look for a Shell next time, thanks for the tip!
All the gasoline your area is generally the same. It comes through to same pipeline and terminal. There are some locations that have multiple terminals, but most of these use the same source. What is different is the detergent/additive package added to the tanker when it fills at the terminal. Both Costco and Shell fuels are 'Top-Tier' rated for their additives. (Google it) Cheap no-name fuels have minimal additions - just what is required by law. Even Consumer Reports recommends the use of Top-Tier fuels.
Old 05-19-21, 11:12 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 403 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by joytoy999
I am desperate and will try anything. Do you know where I can find step by step instructions on how to disconnect the battery? I am useless when it comes to this stuff so the more detailed the instruction, the better. Thanks.
See
. Scotty is the man and a Toyota fan boy. It's probably sufficient to disconnect the cable from the negative terminal and leave it that way for 30 minutes. You'll need a socket or wrench (pliers are a lousy substitute.) The video shows a more sure-fire way to remove all current. If you aren't comfortable, any decent independent shop would do this for next to nothing. An auto parts store, like Autozone, might disconnect the negative terminal for free if you buy something.
Old 05-19-21, 12:18 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Good information, but the guy's hand gestures drive me nuts! Ray A.
Old 05-19-21, 04:04 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 403 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Good information, but the guy's hand gestures drive me nuts! Ray A.
Yeah, Scotty Kilmer is an acquired taste. 4 million+ people have acquired it though, and he makes a killing on YouTube.
Old 05-21-21, 02:18 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2017 Base with the towing prep pkg. I used to have several gears that had hard downshifts in both normal and sport modes along with auto mode and auto stick mode. There was some sort of vacuum hose TSB for the 2016’s. That they did for me and it fixed all but one. My 6 to 5 downshift is still very bad. It’s at least controllable in auto stick mode but not while in total auto mode. Not safe when you don’t know it’s going to be a hard downshift when slowing down and or while possibly in a turn. Have complained many times. Dealer says it’s ok. The other dealer out of town said don’t drive the car hard it’s not meant to be driven that way. Lexus dont get me started.
Old 05-22-21, 12:46 AM
umpire
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larryu
I am a new member and first time Lexus owner of the 2016 RX 350. I am finding a real hesitation issue with my car. I took it into the dealer and after several days told me it is working as it should?

Am I the only one with this problem? Please let me know if anyone else has it. I am in conversation with Lexus HQ about this issue.
------------

The dealer could be right. I said the exact same thing about my car when I first got it. TBH, I think OEM put in that slight lag. I bought Pedal Commander to offset the throttle body response. I have not regretted since
Old 05-24-21, 07:20 PM
Rigatony
Driver School Candidate

I got the TSB completed at the Dealership. It’s much better but I’m getting some of the same gear indecision at different speeds. Can they run the TSB again?
Old 05-27-21, 08:39 PM
BlueNxT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by umpire
------------

The dealer could be right. I said the exact same thing about my car when I first got it. TBH, I think OEM put in that slight lag. I bought Pedal Commander to offset the throttle body response. I have not regretted since
What pedal commander model you purchased? I'm thinking to try this out. My 2017 RX was having exact same issue with hestitation and gear shifting issues. Brought it in to a few local Lexus dealers multiple times and had TSB done, but no luck. Almost at a point of selling it. Thanks
Old 05-27-21, 09:17 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNxT
What pedal commander model you purchased? I'm thinking to try this out. My 2017 RX was having exact same issue with hestitation and gear shifting issues. Brought it in to a few local Lexus dealers multiple times and had TSB done, but no luck. Almost at a point of selling it. Thanks
I've don't have a RX but I watch a number of pedal commander videos on YouTube regarding this product. Some people like it and some found it not good to use. Probably want to do some time researching.
Old 05-28-21, 09:35 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Pedal Commander has zero effect on the transmission gear-hunting issue. It only provides a means of adjusting the throttle responsiveness when you press the accelerator. I use it because I like a little brisker response than the factory setting.
Old 05-29-21, 02:22 PM
eddie420

Received 614 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Pedal Commander has zero effect on the transmission gear-hunting issue. It only provides a means of adjusting the throttle responsiveness when you press the accelerator. I use it because I like a little brisker response than the factory setting.
Does it make a noticeable difference while in Sport or Sport+ mode? I have tried neither Pedal Commander nor Sprint Booster so I am ignorant on this subject.
Old 05-29-21, 02:45 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Does it make a noticeable difference while in Sport or Sport+ mode? I have tried neither Pedal Commander nor Sprint Booster so I am ignorant on this subject.
I use Sport+ all the time, but I do not have a comparison of Sport+ pre-Pedal Commander vs. Sport+ with Pedal Commander. What is very noticeable is the "lag", or lack thereof, in the throttle response when you press the accelerator pedal. I forget the number of possible settings -- seems like it is 32, or some two-digit number like that. If you set it too aggressively, the throttle gets "twitchy" -- not nice, especially rounding corners. So I had to experiment for awhile and find the balance point where I get immediate, but not twitchy, response to a press of the accelerator. I wasn't happy with the laggy (to me) response of the factory throttle setting. Not sure everyone cares about stuff like that -- the Pedal Commander is not cheap and probably not worth it to anyone who is already satisfied with their car.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (05-29-21)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)