RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 03:28 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 276 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I use Sport+ all the time, but I do not have a comparison of Sport+ pre-Pedal Commander vs. Sport+ with Pedal Commander. What is very noticeable is the "lag", or lack thereof, in the throttle response when you press the accelerator pedal. I forget the number of possible settings -- seems like it is 32, or some two-digit number like that. If you set it too aggressively, the throttle gets "twitchy" -- not nice, especially rounding corners. So I had to experiment for awhile and find the balance point where I get immediate, but not twitchy, response to a press of the accelerator. I wasn't happy with the laggy (to me) response of the factory throttle setting. Not sure everyone cares about stuff like that -- the Pedal Commander is not cheap and probably not worth it to anyone who is already satisfied with their car.
Did you experience any CEL with it? I saw a number of Youtubers about that issue? It's all over the internet also.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Challenger/...commander_cel/

I don't need this tool but curious about it.
Old 05-29-21, 04:33 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Did you experience any CEL with it? I saw a number of Youtubers about that issue? It's all over the internet also.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Challenger/...commander_cel/

I don't need this tool but curious about it.
Normally if the CEL light comes on it's an emission problem nothing to do with the transmission so it could be a coincidence.
Old 05-30-21, 12:53 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Did you experience any CEL with it?
I've never seen a CEL on my 2018, while it is running.
Old 05-31-21, 05:29 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 276 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I've never seen a CEL on my 2018, while it is running.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-21, 08:30 AM
sz8
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rough gear shifting during acceleration?

So, I have been driving the 2017 RX (base model) for a month now. Compared with my 2013 model, I found the acceleration of my 2017 model is not as smooth. It is especially true when starting moving from still. I can feel the transmission shift. Not too harsh but can be felt. Also, in the high way, if I push gas hard at 50 mph, it hesitates a bit before speeding up (transmission downshift?)..

By the way, I am drive in normal mode. Do you guys have the same feel about the transmission shifting?

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
NX200 (06-02-21)
Old 06-02-21, 09:49 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,716 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8
So, I have been driving the 2017 RX (base model) for a month now. Compared with my 2013 model, I found the acceleration of my 2017 model is not as smooth. It is especially true when starting moving from still. I can feel the transmission shift. Not too harsh but can be felt. Also, in the high way, if I push gas hard at 50 mph, it hesitates a bit before speeding up (transmission downshift?)..

By the way, I am drive in normal mode. Do you guys have the same feel about the transmission shifting?

Thanks.
We have a 17 and no real issues with the trans. Unlike my 2019 ES which has an annoying jerky trans at times.
Old 06-02-21, 10:53 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 360 Posts

Give Sport mode a try. It's all I ever used. You just have to select it each time you start it.
Old 06-02-21, 04:05 PM
sz8
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Give Sport mode a try. It's all I ever used. You just have to select it each time you start it.
Sports mode feels better. But needing to select it every time is annoying.

My 20-year old Camry seems to have smoother shift. But I think it only has 4 speed AT. It may shift at higher speed which makes it less obvious. It is possible that shifting in low speed (like from still) makes it easier to feel. I think the RX shift from gear 1 to 2 and to 3 at quite low speed.
Old 06-03-21, 05:45 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8

My 20-year old Camry seems to have smoother shift. But I think it only has 4 speed AT. It may shift at higher speed which makes it less obvious. It is possible that shifting in low speed (like from still) makes it easier to feel. I think the RX shift from gear 1 to 2 and to 3 at quite low speed.
Smoother shifts are NOT good for the transmission as that means there is a longer overlap which causes clutch wear. The best shifting for a tranny long life is one that you can feel, but that's not acceptable to the buyers so they try to compromise by giving an overlap that fits both purposes and it does to a certain extent, that's why it's important to change the ATF if one wants to keep it healthy for a long time.
Old 06-03-21, 06:03 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sz8

Has the car had TSB: L-SB-0032-19 completed on your car do you know. Your Lexus dealer can do it for, changes the software mapping for the transmission to hold the gears a little longer and is more like Sports Mode when in Normal Mode. Worth a try.
Old 06-03-21, 07:03 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Smoother shifts are NOT good for the transmission as that means there is a longer overlap which causes clutch wear. The best shifting for a tranny long life is one that you can feel, but that's not acceptable to the buyers so they try to compromise by giving an overlap that fits both purposes and it does to a certain extent, that's why it's important to change the ATF if one wants to keep it healthy for a long time.
Have you ever changed a modern Toyota transmission fluid? I sure haven’t! There is no dipstick, as the transmission is sealed.
Old 06-03-21, 07:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Have you ever changed a modern Toyota transmission fluid? I sure haven’t! There is no dipstick, as the transmission is sealed.
There's a thread in the forum on RX trans fluid drain and fill.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ferential.html
Old 06-03-21, 08:10 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
There's a thread in the forum on RX trans fluid drain and fill.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ferential.html
I have never kept a Toyota past 100,000 miles, so the transmission was never changed & it wasn’t required. Perhaps that’s something that isn’t a bad idea to have done on these problem transmissions. I would also recommend sending a fluid sample off to an oil analysis lab like Blackstone, so they examine it for various metal particles & provide you with a full readout. A fluid sample can pinpoint various components that are experiencing extreme wear. It will not however indicate a problem with the passage of fluids needed to operate specific components, such as a passageway that wasn’t drilled or molded correctly or has become clogged. If something does clog, there would probably be remnants of that material still in the fluid. It’s not 100% accurate, but it’s an extremely useful tool, especially if needed for court cases, like lemon law claims.
Old 06-03-21, 08:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I have never kept a Toyota past 100,000 miles, so the transmission was never changed & it wasn’t required. Perhaps that’s something that isn’t a bad idea to have done on these problem transmissions. I would also recommend sending a fluid sample off to an oil analysis lab like Blackstone, so they examine it for various metal particles & provide you with a full readout. A fluid sample can pinpoint various components that are experiencing extreme wear. It will not however indicate a problem with the passage of fluids needed to operate specific components, such as a passageway that wasn’t drilled or molded correctly or has become clogged. If something does clog, there would probably be remnants of that material still in the fluid. It’s not 100% accurate, but it’s an extremely useful tool, especially if needed for court cases, like lemon law claims.
Yeah I hear many folks who drive vehicles 200K and more miles and never touch the trans fluid. In fact, I have a co-worker who now has 300K on a Hyundai Elantra - original trans fluid. I'm personally on the fence with the RX fluid change as I normally don't keep cars much past 100K miles but that one we may.
Old 06-03-21, 09:41 AM
WingDenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2017 RX 350 on March 12, 2021 with 49,000 miles on it. I began to experience the shifting problems/hesitation about 2 weeks into it. I took it to Lexus of Akron/Canton (OH) and they installed the TSB0032-19 and it seems to be about the same. It is intermittent based upon driving conditions and throttle usage. I ran the AC today for one of the first times, went to climb a small incline and felt NO POWER probably around the 4th gear!!!! I was also getting a "droning" noise and they applied TSB0003-16 to help "reduce" (not eliminate) the noise. It now seems to occur for a longer period of time while bringing the vehicle up to speed!!!!!!!!

Tell me this is not as good as it gets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)