RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 08:36 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RXman4me
I haven't done anything - just inquiring if those who had recently done some type of reset were satisfied with their results and if their dealers charged them to do it. Based on reading through many pages of this thread and responses to a review thread I posted, the results are a mixed bag at best. I realize no car is perfect, (although I would state without hesitation that my old Infiniti M35 - it was a 2007 and even then had features that most cars don't have today - including the RX, was damn close) so I can either live with it or move on to something else. I'm torn because of the known reliability and quiet ride it offers.
Okay, getting a reset done in your case could be of benefit. You don't know how it was driven before (hard, gentle) and your driving could be totally different. The transmission in this car learns your driving habits and adjusts. A hard reset brings it back to a factory state and will start learning again for YOUR driving. The easy way is to just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, BUT you will have to reset all your settings (seats, audio, steering wheel, etc).

In case you don't know there really isn't a "problem" or fault with the car it's just how it drives with a priority on lower fuel consumption. In Normal Mode it changes up gear sooner than ideal for performance but better for fuel consumption. Put it in Sports Mode and it holds the gears longer. making it feel more responsive, smoother BUT hurts the fuel consumption. The TSB that was issued changed the mapping of the software to be more like Sports Mode in Normal Mode.

The thing with this car is it's a luxury car, not a sports car and many people will only drive it gently, while others want to punt it along hard. There's just a massive difference between driver types. I drive gently around my home town, it's flat and not busy and the car feels fine in Normal Mode. When I go to a city where the pace is fast and there's hills using Normal Mode means it starts to jerk around trying to find the right gear. That's when I throw it into Sports Mode and it feels much better.

Something that seems to help, although I haven't done extensive testing is to let the car warm up for a couple of minutes in the morning BEFORE moving at all. This means your first movement is with a warmer engine which will change it's behaviour compared to a cold engine.
Old 04-02-22, 05:01 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I haven't done anything - just inquiring if those who had recently done some type of reset were satisfied with their results and if their dealers charged them to do it. Based on reading through many pages of this thread and responses to a review thread I posted, the results are a mixed bag at best. I realize no car is perfect, (although I would state without hesitation that my old Infiniti M35 - it was a 2007 and even then had features that most cars don't have today - including the RX, was damn close) so I can either live with it or move on to something else. I'm torn because of the known reliability and quiet ride it offers.
Go have the TSB completed. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The last RX 350 loaner I had was a horrible dog. That transmission couldn’t decide what gear it needed, even on flat roads. It was pathetic & that’s an understatement. Good luck & let us know what you do.
Old 04-02-22, 09:27 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

'17 fsport, when I got it I was ready to sell it because of the shifting pattern. Get the TSB, it's free at the dealership and for me it cleared up most of the hesitation, at the very least I wasn't constantly thinking about it. I drive in m-mode at some point in all of my drives (I live in the hills) except for short trips around town. The only shifting problems in m-mode is me. lol
Old 04-02-22, 10:01 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
'17 fsport, when I got it I was ready to sell it because of the shifting pattern. Get the TSB, it's free at the dealership and for me it cleared up most of the hesitation, at the very least I wasn't constantly thinking about it. I drive in m-mode at some point in all of my drives (I live in the hills) except for short trips around town. The only shifting problems in m-mode is me. lol

Does it help with a harsh 6-5 downshift? Mine has always slammed since new most of the time ever since new. It’s worse in sport mode.
Old 04-02-22, 10:48 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
Does it help with a harsh 6-5 downshift? Mine has always slammed since new most of the time ever since new. It’s worse in sport mode.
I presume your talking about manual mode. Yes you are correct, for some reason downshifting into 5th is harsh and clunky as opposed to any other shifts, however when shifting rapidly while going down a long hill it's not so bad as opposed to just slowing down for an exit. I guess I'm just getting used to it.
Old 04-02-22, 11:56 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes… Exactly.
Old 04-19-22, 02:32 PM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if the reset ultimately helped in anyway. I'm in the same boat as you with my used 2017. The shifting up and down looking for the right gear makes me want to trade it after only 7 months. I like pretty much everything else about it but its driving me crazy.
The reset did not help in my situation and upon advice from this thread, I ordered the Power Tune High Performance Tuner Chip off Amazon for $90 and its the only thing that has made a difference. Don't get me wrong, I do not love my car now but at least I do not HATE it like I did before.
Old 04-20-22, 07:48 PM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joytoy999
The reset did not help in my situation and upon advice from this thread, I ordered the Power Tune High Performance Tuner Chip off Amazon for $90 and its the only thing that has made a difference. Don't get me wrong, I do not love my car now but at least I do not HATE it like I did before.
Any different in fuel consumption?
Old 04-27-22, 07:21 AM
joytoy999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BensonTT
Any different in fuel consumption?
I have no idea....sorry, I do not usually track my fuel consumption.
Old 05-20-22, 07:44 AM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Change your transmission oil...

Hello All,

I bought a high mileage CPO 2016 RX350 recently and after 1k miles of driving, I went back to the dealer and asked to TCU reflash. Well, that didn't work! I was experiencing erratic shifting when I first drive in the morning, when the transmission is cold. Then when I am on the freeway and the car is in normal operating temp., I feel some sharp shifting thuds when I let up on the gas, and more thud when I quickly press the gas pedal. It was such a unpredictable 8-Speed transmission as far as learning how/doing everything to make the shifting right!

Initially, drained some transmission oil then rechecked the level according to temp setting and letting out some excess oil. That also didn't work, shifting issues continued.

Then I drained the transmission oil again after a few hundred miles, but this time around I purposely measured the oil that came out of the 17mm hex plug - a bit less than three quarts of oil came out as measured.
After realizing what I have experienced doing transmission oil changes in the past, I put it a little over three quarts of oil in the transmission.
Approximately "3.2" quarts of oil later was added and without checking the oil level at this point and what a surprise - everything is back to normal (smooth) shifting is evident (so far).

This weekend, I will disconnect the battery overnight to refresh everything, just to make sure after the reboot, this RX starts with a fresh memory, relearning everything according to my driving inputs.
My theory is, having owned different Lexus vehicles over the past twenty-five years, when it comes to transmission oil drain and refill, the magic number is 3.1 - 3.2 quarts (for me that is)!
I also intend to do one more drain and refill (D/R) after 10k miles of driving, then follow the 50k-60k mile D/R interval.

Last edited by GXGSAm; 05-20-22 at 08:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GXGSAm:
ravenuer (05-20-22), rxtimes2 (05-21-22)
Old 05-21-22, 01:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 758 Likes on 509 Posts

Disconnecting battery doesn’t reset anything.
Old 05-21-22, 01:59 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Default LOL, I wish I could say the same thing.

Originally Posted by 703
Disconnecting battery doesn’t reset anything.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised if you try.
Old 05-21-22, 02:07 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Default Oil level could be the fix.

Originally Posted by Larryu
I am a new member and first time Lexus owner of the 2016 RX 350. I am finding a real hesitation issue with my car. I took it into the dealer and after several days told me it is working as it should?

Am I the only one with this problem? Please let me know if anyone else has it. I am in conversation with Lexus HQ about this issue.
My “own” experience with Lexus vehicles’ transmission shifting issues are due to incorrect oil level. When I followed my own way of fixing it, I always fix the problem. One the worst experience was buying a 200k plus mile 2007 IS250. I had to replace a few solenoids, replaced the filter, and drain and refilled the transmission twice and the shifting was better/smoother than the 2013 IS350 FSport I gave my son.
Old 05-21-22, 11:00 PM
Lead Lap

Received 758 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by GXGSAm
You’ll be pleasantly surprised if you try.
i know exactly what it does. Fully documented in the service manual. Don’t need to try.
Old 05-22-22, 07:45 AM
GXGSAm
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
i know exactly what it does. Fully documented in the service manual. Don’t need to try.
after changing my transmission oil A few days ago as described, then unplugged my battery Friday night. Driving the RX All Saturday felt like a totally different vehicle, shifting was very smooth, no hesitation, and I didn’t feel any erratic gear shifts. As for the effect of unplugging the battery, I lost all my programmed settings on my seat, side view mirror tilt on reverse, side view mirror fold-in on car lock, etc. My wife wasn’t happy she had to redo hers too. Long story short, some things happen when you unplug your battery for a while. Speaking based on my own experience, I am not saying it helped with the much smoother shifting, but I proved to myself (only), for having worked on my own Lexus vehicles in the past that my procedures worked for me each time and I honestly and proudly can say, with the intent of informing others my failures and successes owning a Lexus.
The following 3 users liked this post by GXGSAm:
bamalam (05-24-22), BumbleD (06-21-22), jollick (05-22-22)

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)