RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer won't replace Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 01:28 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
360LexusEs:

We are here to listen and give advice and share our opinions. But at the end your problem has to be solved by a shop.

1. Does the dealership agree that there is a problem even after making all the attempts to fix it?
2. Have they given up?
3. Have they checked for play in suspension and proper torque on bolts and nuts? [Once a shop did not torque the bolts down ... yes it happens]
4. Have they done an alignment? [This may not be a warranty item]

Assess the above and maybe go to a speed shop for items 3 & 4. Usually they do 3 for free, but you can pay them for the time. They will also tell you that the struts are good/bad. Take the information back to Lexus.

Salim
ps: I personally think the problem you describe can not be attributed to bad struts/shocks [I have been wrong many times, so use it as one person's opinion]

I know and trust me its greatly appreciated. I just like to put as much info as I've gathered in my situations and present that in the discussion.

As far as the vehicle being road tested I usually go for a ride with the technician but this day was late and no one was there to do the road test so I'm not 100 percent sure they did it.

I'm going to look into everything you've presented. They definitely didn't say anything was wrong with the alignment but on a smooth even road it doesn't seem to be pulling any specific way until I hit uneven pavement which then has the car going all over the place. I think I'm going to go the route you suggested as far as having a shop look at it and presenting the findings to Lexus, I'll post an update once I have the info and as always greatly appreciate each and everyones feedback!
Old 11-03-17, 04:26 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

360 - You say your steering wheel is "all over the place". What do you mean? Literally it reads like the steering wheel is going up to the windshield, then down to the floor, then over to the passenger's side. I know this sounds silly, but your description of the steering wheel symptoms is out of my wheelhouse. If you are letting go of the steering wheel on a rough road, you can expect the steering wheel to rotate both ways due to the road action on the wheels. You also say the car is "all over the place" on uneven pavement. What do you mean by that? Swerving left and right? Up and down too much? A combination of both?
The bottom line here is that you say you have a problem, you have diagnosed the cause, and now want everyone's opinion of your diagnosis and related warranty.
My opinion is that you have a STEERING problem, as others have said, and needs to be diagnosed by an expert who will look at the tires and steering linkage for clues as to the source of the problem.
I think you are looking for another set of free shocks like you got last time for your ES.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 11-03-17 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Punctuation, clarity.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (11-03-17)
Old 11-04-17, 04:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 360LexusEs
I have the Platinum extended warranty.

I don't see where it says shocks and struts are not covered, but I do know they are 100 percent covered under this extended warranty because I had them replaced on my 05 ES 330 that had the same warranty extension. Maybe because they were leaking and making a sound? Also, the service advisor told me over the phone that if they did found them to need replacement then they will be covered under the warranty and even suggested it on the paper. Apparently the adjuster for the warranty company was the one that said no because they weren't leaking and or making noise but IMO it shouldn't get to that when the car is a hazard to drive and it's clear as day that its the suspension. Its more than just a rough ride its the steering wheel all over the place, every rough patch in the road essentially grabbing the vehicle.
leaking/making noise = defect

loose or springy and uncomfortable/rough ride = wear
Old 12-06-17, 09:12 AM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

So right after this post I complained to corporate. I explained that on the last trip to the dealer they clearly stated that in writing that it was suggested shocks and struts be replaced but since there was no noise or leakage they wouldn't be able to do it under the warranty even though the steering wheel was shaking back and forth very bad over bumps (not a normal back and forth it was clearly excessive and indicative of an issue with the suspension. Corporate just went with whatever the dealer said so I pretty much waisted my time with them. No surprise that my RX just continued to feel like crap and after the phone call from corporate I took my car in to a local shop for a break pad and rotor job and asked them to check out the front suspension. They road tested it and immediately said the front struts need replacement (keep in mind this is about 3 weeks after I was just at the dealer with the same complaint.) Ok, so
I have since brought the car back to Lexus AGAIN for the same complaint. Now, ding ding ding front struts and mounts need replacement and will be covered under the warranty.

In addition I have an inner tie rod that has excessive play and I'm waiting to hear whether or not that will be covered under the warranty as well.

While I'm happy that the issue is being addressed finally I have to say I'm pretty disgusted that this was not addressed earlier. Anyone that got in the car and drove it could feel that anytime it hit anything uneven the steering wheel was all over the place and the suspension felt like garbage. NOTHING has changed as far as the drive of the vehicle, it felt dangerous then as it does now.

To any Moderators that might see this post, I'm having another issue with my vehicle and I'm not sure if I should make a separate post or keep it in here because it seems like I'm getting the run around on that too.

Last edited by 360LexusEs; 12-06-17 at 09:14 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 12-06-17, 03:29 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

First, thank you for being considerate to solicit opinion. If mods feel strongly about an issue they can merge or redirect new posts. Simple rule is to keep the discussion on topic. If the topic is dealership experience then the discussion belongs in the same thread. Here is the the issue is other than the suspension/vibration then keep it here else start a new thread.

Hope it helps.

Salim