RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How can I tell if my struts are bad or not?

Old 03-22-12, 07:56 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if my struts are bad or not?

I've seen many topics about bouncing the car and see how many times it'll bounce back.

But I was wondering if there are any other ways to tell.

I only got my strut mounts changed a couple of weeks ago (along with the front two sway bar links) because of a rattling noise. I should of probably changed my struts too since it's @ 178k miles and was never changed.

My ride is pretty bouncy too. So I would assume the struts have gone bad?

And my mechanic told me to buy a strut ASSEMBLY. Good idea?
Old 03-22-12, 11:44 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

He told you that because then the job is a lot easier for him, and I doubt he'll charge you less because of it. Don't ya just love lazy mechanics?
And cars with struts don't generally bounce (with the bounce test) anything at all like a car with coil springs and shocks did when the shocks are worn. You have to more determine whether they need changing from driving it than bouncing it.
Old 03-23-12, 02:42 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I am NOT an expert but I have read a fair amount on this topic. The bounce test is useless for struts. As Code58 said, you must assess the struts performance while you drive it under load. Theoretically you could have them removed and tested, but that would cost a whole lot more than replacing them.
Old 03-23-12, 03:38 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The mechanic should have been able to test the struts when he had them apart to replace the strut mounts.

In some cases, a good mechanic can tell just by driving the car over a bad road that the struts are bad.
Old 03-23-12, 11:12 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I think we are over complicating the issue.

Struts are more than a shock-absorber, but here the discussion is about the shock-absorber action ... the damping effect of spring-shock set up.

So load the vehicle (full tank) and seat 4 adults and do the bounce check. Proper loading will ensure proper inertia is being added.

Look for leaks and any strange steering behavior (or tire wear pattern) and that should suffice.

The only issue is that you will be testing the system ... [struts and springs]. So if there is a problem with springs only or strut only or both you will not able to distinguish.

Rest is very subjective.

Salim
Old 03-23-12, 05:57 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes you probably should have changed them. I just changed mine at 195k and there were no clunking sounds, bouncyness or leaks but the ride was a little squishy and you could feel the tires hopping around over bumpy uneven roads. New shocks made a big difference...im sure they will on any worn 100k+mile shocks
Old 03-24-12, 02:44 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think we are over complicating the issue.

Struts are more than a shock-absorber, but here the discussion is about the shock-absorber action ... the damping effect of spring-shock set up.

So load the vehicle (full tank) and seat 4 adults and do the bounce check. Proper loading will ensure proper inertia is being added.

Look for leaks and any strange steering behavior (or tire wear pattern) and that should suffice.

The only issue is that you will be testing the system ... [struts and springs]. So if there is a problem with springs only or strut only or both you will not able to distinguish.

Rest is very subjective.

Salim
As I understand it, you can not bounce the vehicle fast enough to mimic road conditions. The strut may offer little resistance to a hand bounce but work just fine under driving condition. If the struts are totally shot the bounce test will show it. But you would already know that.

Last edited by artbuc; 03-24-12 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-26-12, 08:33 AM
Sturds
Driver School Candidate

I have been wondering this for a while now I have a 99 with 125k miles and it feels really squishy when riding in it and it doesn't feel like its really hugging the road. Is this just the nature of the vehicle or is it most likely bad struts?
Old 03-30-12, 09:08 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't have an rx, but when driving over rough roads, i hear a rattling type noise, like something is loose. Does this mean a bad strut?/ bad mount? or both. I have kyb's that have almost a 100k miles on them, but only 3 years old
Old 03-30-12, 09:17 AM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I don't have an rx, but when driving over rough roads, i hear a rattling type noise, like something is loose. Does this mean a bad strut?/ bad mount? or both. I have kyb's that have almost a 100k miles on them, but only 3 years old
Could be either the strut mounts or maybe even the sway bar link causing the noise.

Have your mechanic check it out.
Old 03-30-12, 11:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Sounds like a strut mount. But, the only way to know for sure is to look underneath the car and make sure all of the other suspension components are in good condition, including any bushings.
Old 03-31-12, 10:47 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Ya, im pretty sure the mounts are done then, there was a slight noise before, but now they are bad. So i will just replace the rear struts again cause they are leaking and put th mounts in, just going to keep the springs
Old 10-15-15, 12:06 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if my struts are bad or not too. I *think* that they are.

2nd owner at 140K, and I'm pretty sure that the struts have never been replaced.

The ride quality to me seems like it's more bumpy than it should be. It almost feels like the tires are bouncy a little bit around rough road corners. It's a weird loose feeling- not sure if I'm imagining it. When I hit hard bumps, the dash rattles pretty hard sometimes. Not sure if that is an indicator as well. When you drive the car every day and slowly get used to things, I think it's hard to remember how things originally felt.

I'm trying to figure out what all should be done to my vehicle besides the struts.

I was told by the dealership to replace my strut mounts already, (clunky clunk noise when driving over small bumps) does a brand matter for this?

I have a chattering noise when driving over rough road, I was told that this is caused by the tie rods. I am not a mechanic so I'm not sure what this means. I have googled it and it appears that there are inner or outter tie rods?

What about sway bar links? I was told by a Big O Tires location that they think I should replace my sway bar links.

Basically I get a feeling that the suspension needs a refresh. I am only planning on keeping the car until next September 2016 so I just want to get rid of the clunky clunk and chattering noises and maybe make the car drive smoother.

Hopefully I make sense. Recommendations on things I should do or things I should check first are much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Jas2015 (03-29-21)
Old 10-15-15, 02:49 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're trying to buy a year of quiet, simply replace the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. Those parts are inexpensive, easy to change, don't require realignment, and account for a substantial amount of the clunky noise you hear. If you're still not happy, then look at struts (KYB are fine), spring cushions, and strut mounts (OE only!). If that doesn't fix your problem, then maybe consider front control arms, ball joints, and tie rods.
Old 03-29-21, 06:36 AM
Jas2015
Driver School Candidate

i am experiencing the same problem. I hear Clunking noise when i go over bump/cracks. I changed my sway bar links and they make a bit of a difference. however, i still notice clunking noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can I tell if my struts are bad or not?