RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How Does Your Suspension Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 03:42 PM
gookies
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How Does Your Suspension Feel?

Just curious, because mine is crap, I can feel every bump and it's especially bad when I'm on really bad road (live in Michigan, we have tons of those). Do your RX300s feel smooth when going over rough roads? I did change my struts last year and some other suspension components.
Old 01-30-19, 05:21 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Which struts did you buy? And what other parts did you replace?

I replaced the front struts with FCS struts, as well as the lower control arms, front & back sway bar links, and sway bar bushings. There was improvement, but I have now developed squeaks in the rear when going over bumps. Not sure if I am going to try to fix those, but will try to identify what is making the noise and see how expensive and difficult it would be.
Old 01-30-19, 05:23 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus

I replaced the front struts with FCS struts, as well as the lower control arms, front & back sway bar links, and sway bar bushings. There was improvement, but I have now developed squeaks in the rear when going over bumps. Not sure if I am going to try to fix those, but will try to identify what is making the noise and see how expensive and difficult it would be.

​​​​​​​KYB struts, also did LCAs and sway bar end links.
Old 01-30-19, 05:43 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you replace the strut mounts and if so what brand?
Old 01-30-19, 05:48 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAB
Did you replace the strut mounts and if so what brand?
Yeah, also KYB, at the time of replacement, KYB didn't make a complete assembly, seems like the only company that does (at least for the front) is FCS, I haven't read that many good reviews about that, but the convenience of having a complete assembly and price may make me want to buy a pair in the future.
Old 01-30-19, 06:20 PM
JAB
Instructor

KYB strut mounts are crap.
Old 01-30-19, 07:03 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAB
KYB strut mounts are crap.
What do you recommend then? Stating "KYB mounts are crap" doesn't help much. Pretty sure KYB is the OEM manufacturer and recommended by most if it's available for your car.
Old 01-30-19, 07:39 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine rides like a 19yr old RX. lol
KYB struts as well
~100k on rears
~60k on fronts
Strut tops still original. at 342k

I do need to replace front s/b bushings (2mm play) and a R/R track rod. (bushing noise over sharp bumps)
Just being lazy right now.
Old 01-31-19, 02:52 AM
JAB
Instructor

Pretty sure KFB was not the OEM. Search this forum and you will find that I am not alone in this assessment. KYB struts are fine; KYB mounts are not. What do I recommend? OEM, and if in doubt, go to the dealer.
Old 01-31-19, 11:33 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

My 2c:

Suspension to an owner/driver is all by feel. Simple things as tire pressure can impact that substantially and there is no gold standard to compare.

On the farthest point is the condition of the seat ... the springs and paddings and leather all impact the feel.

Typically I would rule out the springs in the wheel .. unless the RX has consistently been overloaded.

Then is the shocks .. is there any leak? Bounce test is not tell all, but can be applied to verify basic working of the shocks. [Push each end down a much as you can ...2" .. and let go .. the RX should move past normal and go up and then settle back to normal.

The most difficult part to diagnose of the suspension would be the bushings .. unless there is clear rip/play. Please have that examined. With time the bushings will get stiffer and make your suspension feel different.

Anything you do will change the feel and at some point you will have to say that is the way the vehicel is.

I feel my post contributed nothing ... but guys keep in mind that it could be that you re chasing a ghost.

Salim
Old 01-31-19, 07:00 PM
SVRX300
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2000 still has the stock everything in suspension, can't tell any difference. It's got only 98K miles.
Old 01-31-19, 07:14 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAB
Pretty sure KFB was not the OEM. Search this forum and you will find that I am not alone in this assessment. KYB struts are fine; KYB mounts are not. What do I recommend? OEM, and if in doubt, go to the dealer.
I did, you are correct about the KYB mounts for the RX300 according to this forum, one statement said the welds end up cracking.
Old 01-31-19, 07:16 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus

How are the FCS struts so far + how many miles have you put? I may end up changing mine in the near future, my struts could be messed up due to the crappy roads and if the consensus is right about KYB strut mounts being bad, maybe I just have to replace those.

Edit: Also I found out that Monroe makes quick struts for the highlander, to my knowledge, it shares the same chassis as the RX300, the Monroe quick struts aren't listed under the RX300 though, are they still compatible?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174

Last edited by gookies; 01-31-19 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 10:57 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gookies
How are the FCS struts so far + how many miles have you put? I may end up changing mine in the near future, my struts could be messed up due to the crappy roads and if the consensus is right about KYB strut mounts being bad, maybe I just have to replace those.
it is not

I have had them for a few months and about 4k miles. They seem fine so far, and for the price I think they are a good deal and being quick struts the install was not a problem.