RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 07:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Depends if it is Japan or Canada built. Look here https://www.mylparts.com/?p=catalog&...=wiper%20blade
Old 01-10-18, 08:05 AM
BP1203
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, clutch. Found out through digging in old posts they're made by Trico. Amazing how they can gouge you at the stealership. I take my wife's RX to Toyota-went in for oil change. When advisor said $65 for wiper blades, I laughed so hard I cried.
Old 01-10-18, 09:04 AM
BP1203
Rookie

Clutch: I consider you an expert on all things Lexus. Was wondering about spark plug replacement on the RX-almost 70k on the clock. Will definitely replace at 90k-bought this car three weeks before my daughter was born. After 10 years I'll get the boss something else to drive but I want to keep this car as a third car and eventually give to my daughter when she turns 16. I want this car to last forever and know the little things are what keep them humming-your advice?

Been trying to search this thread for info and I can't find the RX spark plus thread.

Last edited by BP1203; 01-10-18 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 09:28 AM
Clutchless

Lexus says do not do it until about 100,000 miles. Considering you have to remove the intake manifold (plus a bunch of other stuff) to get at the rear ones and the job takes several hours, or several hundred dollars at a shop, I would wait until it is needed.
Check out the maintenance sticky sub forum here for the Highlander as it is a mechanical twin http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ion-2008-2013/

I would do a couple transmission drain and fills or a flush (at the dealer) if you plan to keep it a long time.

Yep, Trico makes the blades. I lucked into a clearance sale of them at Rock Auto a few years ago because they were in NAPA boxes and being discontinued. I stocked up as they were about $3 a blade. Luckily both my vehicles take the same blades!

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-10-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 09:47 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BP1203
Anyone have a part # for the blades? Not getting hit over the head by Lexus parts price, but will look for a Toyota parts dealer online...thanks in advance
The OEM blades on my 2015 are Denso low profile style. The Denso numbers are 160-3126 and 160-3122. Both are about $20 on Amazon. I do not know the Lexus or Toyota numbers. The blades are identical.
Old 01-10-18, 09:55 AM
Clutchless

Is that for the rubber refill? I don't know the metal blade part number either, but recall a few years ago the Trico Neoform or something like that was the OEM Lexus blade for 2010-2012 models (more or less) according to a friend who is an expert on such details. The blades were Teflon coated. The ones at Rock Auto were identical. Denso must also be an OEM blade supplier and they supply so many other OEM parts such as Nav systems etc.
Old 01-10-18, 11:39 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Is that for the rubber refill? I don't know the metal blade part number either, but recall a few years ago the Trico Neoform or something like that was the OEM Lexus blade for 2010-2012 models (more or less) according to a friend who is an expert on such details. The blades were Teflon coated. The ones at Rock Auto were identical. Denso must also be an OEM blade supplier and they supply so many other OEM parts such as Nav systems etc.
Those part numbers are for the entire blade, not the refill. For that price, I am not going to refill blades. The local Toyota store wanted about $36 a piece for the same thing. I took one out of the box and it is the Denso. Not unlike many items at Toyota and Lexus.
Old 01-10-18, 02:18 PM
BP1203
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Lexus says do not do it until about 100,000 miles. Considering you have to remove the intake manifold (plus a bunch of other stuff) to get at the rear ones and the job takes several hours, or several hundred dollars at a shop, I would wait until it is needed.
Check out the maintenance sticky sub forum here for the Highlander as it is a mechanical twin http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ion-2008-2013/

I would do a couple transmission drain and fills or a flush (at the dealer) if you plan to keep it a long time.

Yep, Trico makes the blades. I lucked into a clearance sale of them at Rock Auto a few years ago because they were in NAPA boxes and being discontinued. I stocked up as they were about $3 a blade. Luckily both my vehicles take the same blades!

Thanks, Clutch. Changed the tranny fluid at 63k at last oil change. I'll change that every 60k, differential every 75k. Don't do any towing, so I figured those intervals would be safe.
At 90k I figured I'd replace struts all around, spark plugs, drive belt-

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-09-18, 06:36 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Part number for the 3 rubber wiper blade inserts/refills, Lexus part number:

Fronts: (2 part numbers because they are different lengths)

Rear:

In Australia they are fairly pricey items. Converted to USD the set of 3 rubber inserts come to $32 (AUD $42)

However I will only use genuine OEM replacements as 3rd party blades simply don't last as long as OEM, just as others on this thread have alluded to.

Trivia: On the wiper rubber insert, you can generally see when the wiper blade is manufactured. There will be a string of double digits and dots. So if the wipers are made in 2017, it will have 17 followed by some dots to indicate roughly the month. My dealer didn't have stock of the wiper refills so he ordered them in. At least I know the refills have not been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Here is a picture of my one of my old rubber blade inserts:

Name:  n0txXxu.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  25.2 KB

So I can deduce that it's been on the vehicle for a few years.

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-10-18 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Clarified pars are "inserts" not blades
Old 03-10-18, 05:05 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Part number for the 3 wiper blades, Lexus part number:

Fronts: (2 part numbers because they are different lengths)

Rear:

In Australia they are fairly pricey items. Converted to USD the set of 3 rubber inserts come to $32 (AUD $42)

However I will only use genuine OEM replacements as 3rd party blades simply don't last as long as OEM, just as others on this thread have alluded to.

Trivia: On the wiper rubber insert, you can generally see when the wiper blade is manufactured. There will be a string of double digits and dots. So if the wipers are made in 2017, it will have 17 followed by some dots to indicate roughly the month. My dealer didn't have stock of the wiper so he ordered them in. At least I know the inserts have not been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Here is a picture of my one of my old blades:

So I can deduce that it's been on the vehicle for a few years.
I assume you know that the OEM blades here in the states are just Denso blades that can be had through Amazon or ebay. Nothing special. I don't know if they use other brands for the rest of the world.
Old 03-10-18, 01:49 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I assume you know that the OEM blades here in the states are just Denso blades that can be had through Amazon or ebay. Nothing special. I don't know if they use other brands for the rest of the world.
Interesting. I was not aware Denso made wiper blade rubber inserts. Do you have Denso part numbers? I did a quick search on eBay Australia and Amazon Australia but found part numbers which I couldn't correlate back to the Lexus RX. Would be handy to have the Denso part numbers - I could buy them next time, although looking at the prices on eBay, the random ones I saw seem much dearer than the Lexus dealer's pricing.

If you have part numbers and/or pricing please post onto this thread.

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-10-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 02:34 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Interesting. I was not aware Denso made wiper blade rubber inserts. Do you have Denso part numbers? I did a quick search on eBay Australia and Amazon Australia but found part numbers which I couldn't correlate back to the Lexus RX. Would be handy to have the Denso part numbers - I could buy them next time, although looking at the prices on eBay, the random ones I saw seem much dearer than the Lexus dealer's pricing.

If you have part numbers and/or pricing please post onto this thread.
You said wiper blades, not inserts. I do not know if the inserts are made by Denso. I do know that the blades that came on my 2015 are Denso. Just to give you an example. The 26 inch blade for the drivers side is $23.30 on Amazon here in the states. In my opinion, it is not worth it to try to refill them (even though they are refillable) for the difference in price. Just my opinion. The 26 inch is part number

160-3126.

Last edited by iolmaster; 03-10-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 04:12 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

OK, I've edited my original post to clearly state that it's the rubber blade inserts that I'm referring to, not the blade assembly. I see wiper blade assemblies for sale but can never figure out why there is a need to replace all that when it's just the rubber bit that has deterioriated. As an analogy, if my rubber tyres were worn, I don't see the need to replace the wheels as well. Not unless I wanted a different "look".

Thanks for supplying the part number for the Denso blade, might be useful for someone actually needing to replace the whole wiper blade assembly.
Old 03-11-18, 08:59 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
...The 26 inch blade for the drivers side is $23.30 on Amazon here in the states. In my opinion, it is not worth it to try to refill them (even though they are refillable) for the difference in price.
$23.30 for one blade vs. $18.72 for all three refills isn't worth it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252528472473
Old 04-18-18, 11:50 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Special RX350 rear wiper replacement??

I went to replace the rear wiper on my 2013 RX350, and the 16" blade did not seem to work. Do I need to get a special replacement for that blade. I did see that Trico makes one that does look like it would work. However, I have not seen anywhere that a special blade was required. I have even seen regular Goodyear blades advertised as replacements for this car. I don't mind ordering the Trico, but I do already have an Anco, and would like to know if it can be adapted. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)