RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 11:19 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks. I will call the local Toyota dealership parts department tomorrow morning and ask if they sell just the refills.
Old 11-19-18, 05:48 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Update:

My local Toyota dealership parts department does indeed sell just the wiper blade rubber refills for $9.99 each. The driver-side 26-inch refill is Toyota part no. 85214-0T050, and the passenger-side 22-inch refill is Toyota part no. 85214-0T040. I will grab a couple pair of these refills before the prices go up in 2019.

Last edited by RX in NC; 11-19-18 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 08:31 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Update:

Picked up a couple pair of these wiper blade refills from the local Toyota dealership parts department this morning. They are indeed a perfect fit. Just be aware that the new refills do not come with the long metal edges on either side of the refill that serve to keep the refill straight and firm once the refill is installed on the wiper blade assembly. So you need to transfer the long metal edges from the old refill over to the new refill before you install it on the wiper blade assembly.
Old 11-19-18, 03:49 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Update:

Picked up a couple pair of these wiper blade refills from the local Toyota dealership parts department this morning. They are indeed a perfect fit. Just be aware that the new refills do not come with the long metal edges on either side of the refill that serve to keep the refill straight and firm once the refill is installed on the wiper blade assembly. So you need to transfer the long metal edges from the old refill over to the new refill before you install it on the wiper blade assembly.
I think this is why many people choose to just replace the entire blade rather the just the refill.
Old 11-19-18, 04:05 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 151 Posts

2015 RX350 FWD

I am looking for the appropriate wiper blade refills (just the rubber inserts, not the entire metal blade-holder assemblies). It appears that these vehicles use the beam-type refills (26-inch driver side, 22-inch passenger side, both with what looks to be a 6mm claw width). Has anyone found a set of beam-type refills that will fit properly and lock into the factory metal blade-holder assembly channels? If so, what is the refill brand name and model number?

Not interested in the refills that the Lexus dealership parts departments sell for five times what they should cost in a typical auto parts store such as NAPA.
I've bought mine from a dealer via eBay in the past and they haven't been "OMG" expensive.
Old 11-20-18, 04:53 AM
RX in NC
Racer

At $9.99 each, I will just keep purchasing them as needed from the local Toyota dealership. If they start jacking the price up, I will then check out the online sources. The two pair I purchased yesterday should fill the need for at least the next three to four years.
Old 12-08-18, 02:48 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

2015 RX350 FWD
Not interested in the refills that the Lexus dealership parts departments sell for five times what they should cost in a typical auto parts store such as NAPA.
It was said already that Toyota Parts would sell identical inserts/refills for $10/piece.
But I still advise to check with local Lexus dealer - mine sells refills for $10, too, and also installs (complimentary) right there on the spot. No appointment needed.
Old 12-17-18, 05:39 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I ordered the OEM refills from some Toyota dealer via Ebay, all three for $22. The should arrive this week.
From my experience, the cheap wiper blades are no good. I've had better experience with the OEM refills in the past.
If you want to buy the whole wiper blade, make sure it's silicone type and not the rubber. Silicone are more expensive but they last longer and perform better.
Old 12-17-18, 08:42 AM
RX in NC
Racer

PIAA wiper blade inserts are some of the best in the industry. I have used them for years on several of our vehicles. Unfortunately, they do not fit our 2015 RX350 factory blade arm slots due to a different claw width.
Old 12-17-18, 09:05 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I too get my inserts off ebay from one of the few lexus dealers that sell direct there. I seem to replace about once a year. My blades experience 4 seasons here in NE though, so some may get longer or shorter life depending on their location.
Old 12-29-18, 10:11 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Great. Thx for these instructions. Makes it easier to replace wife's blades
Old 12-30-18, 08:29 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by smknkeyz
I too get my inserts off ebay from one of the few lexus dealers that sell direct there. I seem to replace about once a year. My blades experience 4 seasons here in NE though, so some may get longer or shorter life depending on their location.
I'm lucky to get a year out of them. They start streaking in 6-8 months.
Old 01-28-19, 06:36 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just called Lexus of Oakville here in Canada. The wiper blade inserts are $ 9.95 Cad each and they do a complimentary replacement for free. Can't beat that. Thanks for this post, I would have not realized that you could only replace the blade.
Old 07-19-20, 09:26 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denso, Lexus OEM with no refill ability, Lexus OEM

I've read the prior posts, some from years ago already, and learned alot. My front windshield wipers are streaking, so I have to make a move, and my 2012 RX 350 was used when I leased it from dealer Certified, back in 2015, and then I purchased it last year. I have never changed out the wiper blades, or the rubber, I don't know what to say....but for the first time, I noticed that the wiper blades on the car are Bosch. Don't know why, maybe dealer swapped them when I first leased the used car, maybe the prior owner did it.. But based on research, I have a few options here, and welcome your thoughts:

1. Denso: I read a post which said Denso manufactures for Lexus. Two front Denso wiper blades are $51.61, from Amazon;
2. Lexus OEM: Lexus OEM 2 front wiper blades are about $54, incl. shipping, purchased on Ebay from a Lexus dealer;
3. Lexus OEM, three wiper blades: Lexus OEM 2 wiper blades for the front, and 1 for back, are *onl*y $51.50 incl. shipping, from the Ebay Lexus dealer, but the catch is that these can't accept refills. Lexus apparently has identified a market of its customers who'd rather swap out the entire wiper blade on a consistent basis than take the time to insert a rubber refill; and Lexus is happy to oblige them. Toyota has been offering this too, apparently for many years..
4. Bosch Refill: Identify which Bosch wiper blade was put on the car (I really don't know how to go about this, a;ll I know is that they're several years old), and find a rubber refill for them. Something tells me that even though the Bosch has lasted, it may not be as good quality as the Denso or Lexus OEM, because they were installed on the car either by dealer at time it certified the car for leasing or by the former owner,.... but who knows.

So, there are my choices. Your thoughts/ recommendations are welcome, I'd like to make this purchase in the next several days ...
THX!
Steve in Stamford CT
Old 07-19-20, 10:18 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

None of the above. The original blades had been long gone when you got the car.
Don't waste your time on refills or OEM blades. Most Lexus OEM blades in the North American made models are Trico. You will overpay getting OEM and they are no better than aftermarket. OEM is only worth buying if you are getting the rubber blade refills which is not an option for you. The Bosch refills may not fit your blades as they are old. Not worth the risk.
You can get any beam type blade that you like the looks of and it will work just fine. Any name brand will be fine. Most blades only last a year or so anyway. Amazon or your local chain auto parts store or Wal-mart will have a good selection.
Bosch is fine, as is Denso and Trico and many other name brands you can find at any auto parts store.
I am currently using the Goodyear blades I got at Costco and they are just fine for the price. I had been using Trico on the RX and still have a bunch for my HS250h.

Now the rear blade is strange and it may be worth getting a refill, but eBay is a good source for those. There are many discount Lexus dealers selling OEM on eBay and it is likely you have the original blade back there. The trick to replace the rear is to turn on the wiper, then when it is in the middle of the window shut off the car. Then you can access it to swap the blade. Youtube has videos.

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-19-20 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
drivemycar (07-20-20)

Quick Reply: Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)