RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil change intervals

Old 01-07-15, 03:45 PM
jsmchow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change intervals

new to this forum..

I know there is a standard mileage recommendation for changing oil, but does anyone know the equivalent time interval?

for example, I thought it was every 6 months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km)
Old 01-07-15, 04:06 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

10,000 miles or one year.
Old 01-07-15, 04:15 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The services guide for my RX350 states every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Unless you operate under special conditions...
dirt road driving
repeated trips under 5 miles when outside temperature below freezing
extensive idling, - (use as a taxi, or a pizza delivery vehicle, or you pretend it's a police car idling in front of a donut shop)
Old 01-07-15, 05:43 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's pretty good. Just bought an rx today. Stumbled onto this thread. Glad I did and now I know.
Old 01-07-15, 05:54 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I keep my oil changes between 7.5K and 10K and 1 year max.
Last time I dumped oil when it had about 9.5K on it. Visually, it appeared to be in normal condition.
Old 01-07-15, 06:39 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kjang
Wow, that's pretty good. Just bought an rx today. Stumbled onto this thread. Glad I did and now I know.

What year? Lexus went to synthetic oil I believe in 2012. Prior to that the oil changes were more frequent and I believe at 5000 miles.
Old 01-07-15, 06:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lexus changed to synthetic oil back in February 2010. Here's the letter and the reasoning behind it in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails Oil change intervals-img_0669.jpg  
Old 01-13-15, 02:22 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankfully synthetic oil lasts about twice as long as conventional oil since an oil change costs at least twice as much. $125 at the Lexus dealership -- they've lost their minds.
Old 01-13-15, 04:25 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by klwagoner
Thankfully synthetic oil lasts about twice as long as conventional oil since an oil change costs at least twice as much. $125 at the Lexus dealership -- they've lost their minds.
It's always been around $100, so not much has changed. Gotta pay for the Starbucks coffee in the waiting room.

DIY costs much less, though.
It's grand to have it done at greater intervals.
Old 01-13-15, 08:43 PM
jsguillet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Lexus changed to synthetic oil back in February 2010. Here's the letter and the reasoning behind it in case anyone is interested.
"We are also pleased to advise you that the 12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary."

Does that mean free oil changes?
Old 01-13-15, 09:54 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsguillet
No, not free, you had to purchase the Lexus. No additional charge would be a better description. The 5,000 and 10,000 mile service are included in the purchase price of your Lexus.
Old 01-14-15, 03:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jsguillet
"We are also pleased to advise you that the 12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary."

jsguillet, the complimentary 12 month/10,000 mile service includes a free oil change. Some early 2010 RX owners were able to get two free oil changes. Prior to the letter, the first two complimentary services were at 30 days/1,000 miles and 6 months/5,000 miles with an oil change. The 12 month/10,000 mile service with an oil change was added when Lexus switched to synthetic. No more 30 day/1,000 mile service. Still, two years before having to pay for an oil change isn't bad at all.
Old 01-14-15, 06:07 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation

Almost always getting it serviced will cost more at Lexus stores just as if you were taking your Rolex watch to the authorized selling dealer for service. However the good news is your warranty only requires you to have it serviced by the stated schedule with oils/filters etc., meeting the stated specifications. I've found most Toyota stores with do your routine service for fees between $60 & $75 bucks. They'll even file it in your online service record for your VIN. You still get coffee and treats but probably not espresso and sticky buns . How much are those two things worth?

For Warranty work of course you'll still have to use Lexus but no charge for that .

Just FYI

Old 01-14-15, 08:59 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Almost always getting it serviced will cost more at Lexus stores just as if you were taking your Rolex watch to the authorized selling dealer for service. However the good news is your warranty only requires you to have it serviced by the stated schedule with oils/filters etc., meeting the stated specifications. I've found most Toyota stores with do your routine service for fees between $60 & $75 bucks. They'll even file it in your online service record for your VIN. You still get coffee and treats but probably not espresso and sticky buns . How much are those two things worth?

For Warranty work of course you'll still have to use Lexus but no charge for that .

Just FYI
I read the posts yesterday about going to Toyota -- I don't think I knew you could do that. I just bought my RX on March 1, 2014 so I'm only on my second oil change (but I've used the 10,000 mile freebie).
So I went home and looked up local Toyota dealerships - we have four. Wouldn't you know NOT one of them is conveniently situated? BUT to save approximately $50, I can be a little inconvenienced. We only have one Lexus dealership and it's certainly not convenient (it sure is nice though).

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-15, 02:24 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I read the posts yesterday about going to Toyota -- I don't think I knew you could do that. I just bought my RX on March 1, 2014 so I'm only on my second oil change (but I've used the 10,000 mile freebie).
So I went home and looked up local Toyota dealerships - we have four. Wouldn't you know NOT one of them is conveniently situated? BUT to save approximately $50, I can be a little inconvenienced. We only have one Lexus dealership and it's certainly not convenient (it sure is nice though).

Thanks for the help.
Many people have reported great results having non-warranty service handled by Toyota. A suggestion though, given my personal experience: Be sure to call the Toyota dealer before you go in. Where where I live, my closest Toyota dealer is owned by the same lady that owns two nearby Lexus dealerships. ...at least when I tried a few years back, the Toyota dealer would not service Lexi, and pointed me at the Lexus dealership for even non-warranty work. My point being, your mileage may vary with some Toyota dealers performing service on Lexus or not. :roll eyes: Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change intervals