RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Transmission hesitation

Old 07-24-14, 03:56 AM
chuckeb84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission hesitation

My dad recently bought a 2011
He says now there is a hesitation on acceleration??
Don't know if it was always like that or not he's owned the used car only a few months.
Any ideas???
Old 07-24-14, 04:00 AM
chuckeb84
Driver School Candidate

It has about 40k miles on it
Old 07-24-14, 06:33 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Would be helpful to know more specifically under what conditions this hesitation occurs. Some Toyota automatic transmissions in general I've found can hesitate in certain conditions at certain speeds especially when transitioning from coasting to accelerating at lower speeds maybe after a maneuver such as a parking lot turn out. Varies from model to model and the RX350 is not immune. It's not a common occurrence, but it's not what I would call rare either. If he notices a momentary hesitation once or twice a week under these conditions, I'd say normal. If it's happening all the time, or happens at higher speeds or accelerating from a stop, then not normal.
Old 07-24-14, 07:01 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Check that the air cleaner is reasonably clean. Add some Techron fuel system cleaner or Redline fuel system cleaner to the gas tank. Slight engine issues such as a clogged air filter or dirty fuel system can manifest themselves in ways that make you think it is the transmission. (I Learned this from my late Uncle who had a car repair shop for 45 years)
Some shift hesitation is normal. I sometimes use manual mode as I can shift faster than the system.
Old 07-24-14, 07:15 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found the same on my 2013 f sport. I think what is happening is the electronic tranny mapping keeps the car in too high a gear for your given speed. For example if you pull out of a parking lot after coasting to the turn, you may only be going ten mph, but for some reason the car keeps you third gear, which way too high a gear given how slow you are going. So after you make the turn you either accelerate like a snail in third gear (because now you are still only going ten mph) or you have to wait 1 -1.5 seconds for the car to downshift into second after pressing down firmly on the gas pedal. When another car is barreling down on you that feels like an eternity. Some reviewers in car magazines commented about the seemingly strange choice of gears in the RX as well. The reason I think this is what is happening is that I completely fixed the problem by manually downshifting in those situations with the paddle shifters I have in the f sport, and there is no more hesitation. I realize non-sport versions don't have paddle shifters but I found it interesting that the problem went away when I used them. So now when I have to slow down before a turn or do a rolling stop, I blip the left paddle shifter to downshift one gear and after I make the turn the car takes off with in hesitation no all.
Old 07-24-14, 08:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I have found the same on my 2013 f sport. I think what is happening is the electronic tranny mapping keeps the car in too high a gear for your given speed. For example if you pull out of a parking lot after coasting to the turn, you may only be going ten mph, but for some reason the car keeps you third gear, which way too high a gear given how slow you are going. So after you make the turn you either accelerate like a snail in third gear (because now you are still only going ten mph) or you have to wait 1 -1.5 seconds for the car to downshift into second after pressing down firmly on the gas pedal. When another car is barreling down on you that feels like an eternity. Some reviewers in car magazines commented about the seemingly strange choice of gears in the RX as well. The reason I think this is what is happening is that I completely fixed the problem by manually downshifting in those situations with the paddle shifters I have in the f sport, and there is no more hesitation. I realize non-sport versions don't have paddle shifters but I found it interesting that the problem went away when I used them. So now when I have to slow down before a turn or do a rolling stop, I blip the left paddle shifter to downshift one gear and after I make the turn the car takes off with in hesitation no all.

I believe it is just the way Toyota maps the ecm`s. Or in other words, the software they use. plus too many darn gears to choose from doesn't help either.
Old 07-24-14, 07:30 PM
chuckeb84
Driver School Candidate

Thanks
I'll ask him more questions...
But maybe he just needs to get used to it.
i think he can manually shift but doubt he ever will
You guys are great
Thanks
Old 07-24-14, 09:06 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

on a non F sport model, use the S mode.
i use it a lot especially from a traffic light to the next, or when climbing (1,000-4000 ft).
having the transmission at higher speed than needed ( default) helps improve fuel economy.

it's best to give us a scenario of this " transmission hesitation" especially on acceleration because i don't believe everyone is on the same page.
Let say are you coming from a complete stop?
Most automatic cars today suffer from this! they just go by in different names. even the Germans suffer from " turbo lag" which is in a way transmission hesitation on acceleration.
Old 07-26-14, 10:03 AM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed this when you merge into a carpool lane where cars are going a good 30-40 mph faster. That's when you desperately need immediate acceleration and you feel vulnerable that nothing is happening for what seems a long time. In reality, perhaps less than 5 seconds. I have just learned to merge only when the gap is large. Not sure if this is expected or whether I should inform the dealer. 2013 model year, purchased new last September and clocked about 11,000 miles.
Old 07-26-14, 05:43 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elba123
I have noticed this when you merge into a carpool lane where cars are going a good 30-40 mph faster. That's when you desperately need immediate acceleration and you feel vulnerable that nothing is happening for what seems a long time. In reality, perhaps less than 5 seconds. I have just learned to merge only when the gap is large. Not sure if this is expected or whether I should inform the dealer. 2013 model year, purchased new last September and clocked about 11,000 miles.
Yep. Exactly what used to really bother me, until I realized that the paddle shifters in the f sport fix this problem nicely. The shift isn't instantaneous, but it is MUCH faster than having to wait for the downshift after depressing the pedal. Another solution that works very well is to get a throttle controller. I have an APEXI brand in my car, and it allows you to select multiple throttle sensitivities. All it does is vary the signal from the gas pedal to the throttle body, so if you are in an aggressive mode, a little gas goes a LONG way. Almost eliminates the throttle lag.
Old 07-26-14, 09:36 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

use S mode
put it in gear 4
Old 07-27-14, 09:30 AM
elba123
Rookie

Thanks.. I forgot to add that I own the RX350 non-F-sports model. S-mode always defaults to 4 regardless of whether you are going at 10mph or 60mph. Unlike cars like Ford Escape or Hyundai Sonata, etc., which choose the right gear when you choose manual mode. So I have rarely used S-mode because you have to first downshift and 'find' the right gear to most effectively use the manual F-sport acceleration method described above by Markrivers and Riverdoc. If there's a trick to get it right when in a rush, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll experiment with the S-mode tomorrow afternoon when the freeway isn't crowded.
Old 07-27-14, 12:15 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

^ even though the display says 4 on S mode.
You're not starting from 4... You're limited to 4th gear.
A lot of people get this confused.

So if you're coming from a complete stop, like a traffic light.
Even though it's says 4, you're probably starting at 2nd gear.
Old 07-28-14, 04:48 AM
chuckeb84
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.. I forgot to add that I own the RX350 non-F-sports model. S-mode always defaults to 4 regardless of whether you are going at 10mph or 60mph. Unlike cars like Ford Escape or Hyundai Sonata, etc., which choose the right gear when you choose manual mode. So I have rarely used S-mode because you have to first downshift and 'find' the right gear to most effectively use the manual F-sport acceleration method described above by Markrivers and Riverdoc. If there's a trick to get it right when in a rush, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll experiment with the S-mode tomorrow afternoon when the freeway isn't crowded.
I have to take his RX out this week for a test drive too..
He had the 1st generation RX and I guess he didn't have the same feeling with acceleration...
Thanks
Old 07-30-14, 04:44 AM
elba123
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
^ even though the display says 4 on S mode.
You're not starting from 4... You're limited to 4th gear.
A lot of people get this confused.

So if you're coming from a complete stop, like a traffic light.
Even though it's says 4, you're probably starting at 2nd gear.
Markrivers, Thank you for a fantastic solution. Tried it out and it works like a charm. Resolves what I thought was the one shortcoming of the RX350.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission hesitation