RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 10:20 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoyances

My wife and I have had a very good experience with our claret red 2013 RX350 during the more than 6 months that we've had it. But there are a few annoyances. Heading the list is the lack of a simple way to suspend the proximity alarm on the intuitive parking assist system. Driving on a street next to a median with large bushes is almost guaranteed to set off the alarm if you can't move far enough to the right. I gather from earlier posts by others here that I'm not alone in wanting this feature.

Next is the fact that if the front passenger seat is moved back too far against a child car seat behind it, the front passenger seat seatbelt alarm will be triggered even though there's no one sitting in the seat. Connecting that seatbelt stops the alarm, of course, but this shouldn't be happening.

And last is the fact that a slip indicator light sometimes comes on when the car is stopped and I press the brake pedal. Our dealer is at a loss to explain or fix the problem.

Other than these things and a slightly ill-fitting gas cap holder on the fuel door, the car has been a delight!
Old 10-31-13, 02:37 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JG45
And last is the fact that a slip indicator light sometimes comes on when the car is stopped and I press the brake pedal. Our dealer is at a loss to explain or fix the problem.
Sounds like your service writer needs to go back to Lexus school. Like many topics, this one has been discussed previously here at CL:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tor-is-on.html
Old 10-31-13, 03:39 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Turning off the proximity alert is just two pushes of the buttons on the wheel. (At least on the 2010-2012) You don't even need to look down. "Page button" "Enter" turn it back on the same way. Just don't forget to turn it back on.

Your second issue is interesting. I don't have a child's seat, but I think I can simulate your issue by lowering the rear seat and backing the front seat into the lowered head rest. I would think only having weight on the front seat would trigger the seat belt alert, not pressing against the seat back. hmmmm....?

RX330inFL points out your other concern.
Old 10-31-13, 07:24 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

That annoying seat belt alarm can be disabled by the dealer. I've done that on my Prius and was very happy. It's on my list of custom things to change next time I'm in for service.
Old 10-31-13, 07:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Judging by the lack of complaints regarding the Nav or lack of an AC button, I take it you did not opt to get this feature. Those are my major annoyances.
Old 10-31-13, 09:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have one irritation. I like to keep my fuel economy since last refuel showing on my dash. Whenever I engage or reset my cruise control, the display disappears and I need to push a button on the steering wheel to restore it. I wish this would be a persistent setting.
Old 10-31-13, 09:25 AM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JG45

This is not a problem. Check this out:
. You must have engaged the Hill Assist accidentally.
Old 10-31-13, 02:33 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I didn't even know the RX had this feature.
Old 10-31-13, 10:47 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Sounds like your service writer needs to go back to Lexus school. Like many topics, this one has been discussed previously here at CL:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tor-is-on.html
Thanks. What I mistook for an error is actually a feature!
Old 10-31-13, 10:48 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
That annoying seat belt alarm can be disabled by the dealer. I've done that on my Prius and was very happy. It's on my list of custom things to change next time I'm in for service.
I was tempted. But moving the front seat forward a bit seems to have resolved the matter for now.
Old 10-31-13, 10:50 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Turning off the proximity alert is just two pushes of the buttons on the wheel. (At least on the 2010-2012) You don't even need to look down. "Page button" "Enter" turn it back on the same way. Just don't forget to turn it back on.

Your second issue is interesting. I don't have a child's seat, but I think I can simulate your issue by lowering the rear seat and backing the front seat into the lowered head rest. I would think only having weight on the front seat would trigger the seat belt alert, not pressing against the seat back. hmmmm....?

RX330inFL points out your other concern.
Thanks for this useful information, which I somehow missed in the manual. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-31-13, 10:55 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Judging by the lack of complaints regarding the Nav or lack of an AC button, I take it you did not opt to get this feature. Those are my major annoyances.
I do have Nav. Early on I didn't realize how to suspend navigation guidance at those times when you need help initially, but don't need to hear further directions once you reach a familiar area. I eventually found out how to suspend the guidance.
Old 11-01-13, 06:57 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

"Hill Assist"?
No wonder nobody knows about this "feature."
The car has an automatic transmission, and the great majority of drivers have two feet.
I might understand such a feature in a car with a stick shift, especially for those drivers who, for some mysterious reason, elect not to practice and learn how to accelerate from a stop on a hill without rolling backward (usually done after the first encounter of a stop sign at the top of a hill), but I would think that even the most inexperienced driver could quickly realize that he can use his left foot to prevent rolling until sufficient acceleration is obtained.
Or am I missing something?
Old 11-01-13, 07:05 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfischer
"Hill Assist"?
No wonder nobody knows about this "feature."
The car has an automatic transmission, and the great majority of drivers have two feet.
I might understand such a feature in a car with a stick shift, especially for those drivers who, for some mysterious reason, elect not to practice and learn how to accelerate from a stop on a hill without rolling backward (usually done after the first encounter of a stop sign at the top of a hill), but I would think that even the most inexperienced driver could quickly realize that he can use his left foot to prevent rolling until sufficient acceleration is obtained.
Or am I missing something?
Toyota deployed it across the board. My old Prius had it as well. It's just one of those technologies that trickled down.
Old 11-01-13, 07:37 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Technologies don't just trickle down, unless is costs more to remove it than to include it. Somebody must have decided that we can make money by providing this feature to our customers.
My question is "why"?
It's unnecessary in any vehicle, sad but understandable for the manual transmission, and just stupid when incorporated into an automatic transmission.
As my two Lexus cars are more than 10 years old, I do a lap around the showroom from time to time, and I've been looking through the brochures (especially for the RX and GS models in the last few years) and I do not recall seeing any mention of "hill assist." Either I missed it, it's not on these cars, or it's on the cars but not mentioned, none of which makes any sense.
I test drove a new RX and a new GS last week while my RX was being serviced, and the (excellent) salesman did not mention "hill assist," leading me to believe that it's not something that would push a prospective customer over the edge of the buying decision.
I'm perplexed to learn of this, and a little dismayed, but I will get over it soon. (Did you see how I turned the conversation back around to me?)
I thank the poster for bringing "hill assist" to our attention.

Quick Reply: Annoyances