RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Car decors on dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 09:21 AM
aparupal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car decors on dashboard?

Hello friends,
Have any of you put any decors on the leather trimmed dashboard in your Lexus? I have an RX 350 and I want to put an auto perfume bottle and a God's idol on the dashboard using the double sided adhesive tape. But I am worried if I ever want to remove them, will they leave any scratches on the dashboard? Please share your experiences if anyone of you have done this. Thank you.
Old 06-08-13, 10:30 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, i would say that double sided tape will not do any harm. Just dont use super glue. Is there no chance you could possibly just put a sticker on the dash? Itll be much easier to take off and less risky.

I think the only problem you will have will be that when you remove the decor, itll be lighter underneath than anywhere else on the dash.
Old 06-08-13, 10:39 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally don't put anything on my dash and wouldn't recommend it, but I have a couple of cautions... if you use double-sided tape, do some research on the brand first. I have no specific recommendations myself. I had a friend of one of my relatives attempt sticking similar things on his dash a few years back, and while the items stayed where they should for a while, one eventually came off and left a partial hard sort of adhesive stuck to the dash. I believe it basically "baked on" to the synthetic material with the extreme temperatures that happen in that area over time. While the adhesive remnants eventually came off with a lot of careful work and a bunch of sweat on our brows, there was a visible shadow where the items had been. The sun either did it's thing even with the UV protection in the glass, or there was some chemical interaction between the adhesive in the tape and the dash -- and while subtle, the outline remained of the two objects after they were removed and never came out.
Old 06-08-13, 05:07 PM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aparupal
Hello friends,
Have any of you put any decors on the leather trimmed dashboard in your Lexus? I have an RX 350 and I want to put an auto perfume bottle and a God's idol on the dashboard using the double sided adhesive tape. But I am worried if I ever want to remove them, will they leave any scratches on the dashboard? Please share your experiences if anyone of you have done this. Thank you.
That auto perfume bottle could fly off the dash board and hit any person in the car if there was a collision. I would use velcro to put that bottle in the back of the trunk., it's more secured.
Old 06-09-13, 07:54 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

That's a bad idea. Find another location.
Old 06-09-13, 08:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm unfamiliar with an "auto perfume bottle". What's it's function? Do you have riders who may be sensitive to perfume? Allergies, sinus sensitivities or asthma?
Old 06-09-13, 09:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not sure what an auto perfume bottle is either, probably some kind of deodorizer. I have to agree that placing anything on the dash is not a good idea. One short stop or airbag deployment could turn it into a dangerous projectile. It's in the safety information section of the owners manual under SRS airbags too. You're better off using one that clips to the vent. Same with the God's idol.
Old 06-09-13, 10:33 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

It seems to me that auto perfume can be placed pretty much anywhere in the car, and I don't think the Almighty cares much about preferred seating.
My question is why does aparupal's car smells so bad that it needs artificially enhanced aromas?
Old 06-09-13, 10:46 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Rather than deodorizer, it's more of an 'orderizer'. Some folks like them, some don't. I fall into the latter. Mine after four years now, still has a 'leather' aroma (tho less than when new). No water in the carpet, and a no eating or drinking (except water) policy plus vacuuming, cleaning windows, and wiping down interior occasionally works wonders.
Originally Posted by kitlz
I'm not sure what an auto perfume bottle is either, probably some kind of deodorizer. I have to agree that placing anything on the dash is not a good idea. One short stop or airbag deployment could turn it into a dangerous projectile. It's in the safety information section of the owners manual under SRS airbags too. You're better off using one that clips to the vent. Same with the God's idol.
Old 06-26-13, 10:04 AM
aparupal
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
It seems to me that auto perfume can be placed pretty much anywhere in the car, and I don't think the Almighty cares much about preferred seating.
My question is why does aparupal's car smells so bad that it needs artificially enhanced aromas?
it doesn't smell bad but I want to odorize it to increase the aroma.
Old 06-26-13, 10:58 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with double stick foam tape. Some will come off clean and some will be a nightmare. There's one we use called Twin-Stick that has a permanent acrylic adhesive and will basically separate in the foam layer when you go to remove it, thus leaving very hard to remove residue on both surfaces.

Look for a rubber based adhesive. 3M sells some that you can cleanly remove by pulling a tab pror to removal. The tab essentially stretches the rubber based adhesive, thus weakening the bond.

All that said, there is no guarantee you will not experience long term effects to the dash surface.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android