RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 12:16 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?

Though I have cleaned it repeatedly with Windex and the like, the top of my dashboard seems to emit a greasy covering (a little like too much Armorall) when the car is parked in the sun or when it gets very warm inside. [I live in Miami, so this is not unusual.] Has anyone else had the problem?
I originally thought that some overactive car-wash employee had spread Armorall or similar on teh dash, but even when it appears to be removed, the greasy covering re-appears.
I have a 2009RX350.
Thank you for your comments....
Old 01-14-14, 08:13 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Armorall is a bad product for on the RX dash and is most likely the problem here. The best product for the dash is Aerospace Protectant 303. Even more so in hot climates like FL since it provides UV protection. I would use a vinyl cleaner to remove the existing product first.
Old 01-14-14, 08:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

AS303 is the best protectant.
Old 01-14-14, 09:25 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Armorall is a bad product for on the RX dash and is most likely the problem here. The best product for the dash is Aerospace Protectant 303. Even more so in hot climates like FL since it provides UV protection. I would use a vinyl cleaner to remove the existing product first.
To my knowledge, nothing has been applied to the dash. I have cleaned it several times, and the 'greasy' covering re-appears in the sun, but not where the "A" pillar has cast its shadow. Really strange. I'll have to take the car in to Lexus to get their feedback. I just wondered whether anyone else had the same problem...
Old 01-14-14, 03:04 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Someone before you must ave used Soul Glo.

Watch 'Coming to America' to better understand.
Old 01-14-14, 03:47 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could the plastic itself be oxidizing or breaking down? Some "protectants" can possibly hasten this.(Armorall?) I'd get a sunshield before damage permanently occurs. +1 on the aerospace 303 stuff.
Old 02-01-14, 04:40 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Band
Could the plastic itself be oxidizing or breaking down? Some "protectants" can possibly hasten this.(Armorall?) I'd get a sunshield before damage permanently occurs. +1 on the aerospace 303 stuff.
The problem was not that someone cleaning the car had put any product on the dashboard. The problem is that the vinyl is faulty: it oozes out a greasy substance in the sun, which dries when the car cools. Dealer says they had the problem in some ES's, first time he sees it in the RX. It seems Lexus attributes it to "Florida weather" and it is a "Florida problem". From my point of view, of course, it is a "Lexus problem". You would assume that, if they sell cars in FL, they would test the cars in FL or in FL-like conditions.
The dealer is advising Lexus and it seems they may 'make a gesture', i.e. offering the part and I would pay the labor (we are talking $700 labor here). We'll see where we go with this but I'm pretty upset about it and I believe that Lexus should pay for the entire replacement job, parts and labor. The car is under extended warranty, five years and 36500 miles old, and always garaged and well-taken care of. Obviously, this is due to faulty materials and lack of quality control. The first RX (RX300) was mis-engineered as seen by the auto-transmission and rear main seal failures, and this one was not engineered for FL (rear hatch switch and dashboard). Maybe Lexus should cease and desist selling in FL? Anyway, it may be time for me to cease and desist buying Lexus if this is not resolved satisfactorily....
Old 02-02-14, 03:56 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I am also in FL and my RX has started doing the same thing in the past year. It has a 'coating' in front of the passenger and I now have a small crack over the air vent to the left of the driver. It is always garaged, low mileage, and I had been using Lexol.
Old 02-02-14, 06:38 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jer
I am also in FL and my RX has started doing the same thing in the past year. It has a 'coating' in front of the passenger and I now have a small crack over the air vent to the left of the driver. It is always garaged, low mileage, and I had been using Lexol.
Same thing (except for the crack) happened to me. It started in front of the passenger and little by little 'spread'' to the entire dash. It disappears when the dash is cold and not in the sun, and then reappears when the dash is hit by the sun. There is a 'shadow' - less density of ooze - where the shadow of the A pillar is/was. My dealer said that he had previously seen cracks in the RX dashes. Again: he saya he sends a message describing the problem to Lexus and they decide what/if they will offer some compensation/part/help or not. It takes about a week. I would suggest you show your dealer what your problems are, and they will probably do the same as mine. The problem gets worse with time, doesn't improve..... Someone at Lexus sugggested that I wait to see what Lexus offers, and then call 1-800-25Lexus to speak to them if I consider it insufficient.....
Old 02-11-14, 12:39 AM
2Phast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have this problem too, but someone has tried to fix it

I just bought the car, It is from Florida. The dash has cracks all over it and someone has carefully attempted to "paint" the dash. The attempt was a Fail.

The cracks are still evident and the paint feels sticky. I was able to negotiate the dealer significantly because of how poor it looks. A dash used on ebay is around $600. The dealer said he had someone who would do it for $700 L&M.

I have a solution though; actually two. I haven't decided which I wish to pursue. I would love your input:

Have a professional wrap it. I see kits as cheap as $15 for 4 by 5' sheets. They have them in all designs, many carbon fiber. I have also seen matte, gloss, twill, 3D carbon, and velvet. I think either a texture or the velvet (in black) for be best as they will cover the cracks hidden below the wrap.

OR

Have a professional upholster it. Perhaps swede or leather or felt so not to reflect any light. The thickness should cover the cracks perfectly.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?-felt.jpg   Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?-carbon.jpg  
Old 02-11-14, 12:57 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2Phast
I just bought the car, It is from Florida. The dash has cracks all over it and someone has carefully attempted to "paint" the dash. The attempt was a Fail.

The cracks are still evident and the paint feels sticky. I was able to negotiate the dealer significantly because of how poor it looks. A dash used on ebay is around $600. The dealer said he had someone who would do it for $700 L&M.

I have a solution though; actually two. I haven't decided which I wish to pursue. I would love your input:

Have a professional wrap it. I see kits as cheap as $15 for 4 by 5' sheets. They have them in all designs, many carbon fiber. I have also seen matte, gloss, twill, 3D carbon, and velvet. I think either a texture or the velvet (in black) for be best as they will cover the cracks hidden below the wrap.

OR

Have a professional upholster it. Perhaps swede or leather or felt so not to reflect any light. The thickness should cover the cracks perfectly.

Thoughts?
Those are great ideas. I would be concerned that the wrap would (maybe) bubble when exposed to heat and sun, so I would see if a professional could upholster it in leather (which the vinyl is supposed to ressemble (!!)). I was told by Lexus that the removal and reinstallation of the dash are a 'long' job, and that is why they were talking about $700 labor only. Of course, tehy also said the Lexus dash (new) costs around $1300 or so.....
Old 02-11-14, 12:58 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2Phast

OR

Thoughts?
What year is your car? Could you see if Lexus will help?
Old 02-12-14, 03:22 PM
2Phast
Driver School Candidate

mine is a 2005, I'm confident that Lexus won't do anything. I plan to attempt an upholstery shop and aim for vinyl (fabric) or leather 1st. We are snowed in now so it will be next week at the earliest.
Old 02-12-14, 03:36 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pauljcl
To my knowledge, nothing has been applied to the dash. I have cleaned it several times, and the 'greasy' covering re-appears in the sun, but not where the "A" pillar has cast its shadow. Really strange. I'll have to take the car in to Lexus to get their feedback. I just wondered whether anyone else had the same problem...
There is a known problem with some dashboards in certain models of Lexus (typically in warm
Stares)... Understand that the potential problem has been addressed in the newer models. At least that's my understanding.
Old 02-12-14, 10:43 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexi66
There is a known problem with some dashboards in certain models of Lexus (typically in warm
Stares)... Understand that the potential problem has been addressed in the newer models. At least that's my understanding.
Thank you for the info. Just my luck that mine is one of the faulty ones. I have yet to hear from Lexus...

Quick Reply: Does anyone have oozy greasy dashtop?