Notices
RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The annoying droning engine sound

Old 05-29-19, 11:46 AM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing View Post
This is exactly how you do it. I bought the clamps with 3/8" bolt size instead of the normal 5/16". (ie stronger and fit the damper better) I used double nuts instead of lock washers. The 2nd nut was a self locking type. I also used 2 flat washers - one on each side of the damper as shown in the photo

Jim
Jim, I just saw your thread regarding the annoying droning noise today. I brought my 2015 RE350 last year and noticed that the drone sound came around 1,500-2,000 rpm only. I like to fix the problem my self, I am wondering do I have a buy the rubber part from Lexus dealer or buy from Amazon.ca as I am in Canada?

Thanks
Patrick
Old 05-29-19, 06:47 PM
RealWing
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HeroDanny View Post
Hey everyone... I tried the solution suggested here but I still get the noise.. I used the exact part number everyone else was using and I bought the 2 1/4 exhaust clamps from autozone. At first I put just the back one on (after the cat) and I noticed it made it better, maybe 30% better than before. So I decided I would do the other side and I felt it's still the same. I was thinking about maybe moving the one before the cat to after the cat but I'm unsure.

I'm 100% my noise is exhaust related. It's definitely not a wheel bearing as it only happens when I press on the gas at low RPM around 40-50 mph. High RPM I don't notice it, and if I take my foot off the gas even for a second it instantly goes away.

Any advice? See pics of my fix... I wasn't able to preserve the rubber washers on mine either, I had to remove them to fit the locking nuts on the end. Also how tight should I get the clamps? I didn't measure the torque but I really cranked them down pretty far ( still could have wrenched them more but was worried about damaging the clamps... or even worse my exhaust, so I stopped) but I was barely able to get that second nut on.

I would try moving them around to different positions. Maybe even try mounting them on an angle to each other. Every exhaust system is a little different and vibrates differently.
Jim
Old 05-29-19, 06:54 PM
RealWing
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VictPatman View Post
Jim, I just saw your thread regarding the annoying droning noise today. I brought my 2015 RE350 last year and noticed that the drone sound came around 1,500-2,000 rpm only. I like to fix the problem my self, I am wondering do I have a buy the rubber part from Lexus dealer or buy from Amazon.ca as I am in Canada?

Thanks
Patrick
You can buy it from a Toyota dealer or Amazon.ca
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-30-19, 06:27 AM
HeroDanny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RealWing View Post
I would try moving them around to different positions. Maybe even try mounting them on an angle to each other. Every exhaust system is a little different and vibrates differently.
Jim
Thanks, I think i'm going to try and remove the damper from the front and mount it to the other side of the back one (using the same clamps, if they fit...) Since I believe that the back one is more important... and maybe even the front one is causing more noise because it adds extra weight on the exhaust. I did notice after fitting the front one it might have made it slightly worse (or exactly the same... hard to tell since it doesn't always sound the same).

I also was wondering... would it be feasible to replace the OEM exhaust hanger insulator dampers? I'm guessing that the RX350 didn't sound this way from the factory and it would only make sense that the original rubber damper may have worn out and caused it to start to make noise. These damper clamps may simply be a band-aid where the real problem could lie in a worn OEM part. Just a thought. I'm going to climb under my car again this weekend and try and see if I can test for play in the hanger... and i'll also move the front damper to the back like mentioned earlier... I'll report back with the results.
Old 05-31-19, 03:06 PM
Clutchless
Lexus Champion

Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Worth a look but I doubt the original rubber donut exhaust hangers have any issues that would warrant replacement. They usually last the life of the vehicle.
They are what they are and the exhaust noise is just the nature of the beast. Maybe moving the front one around will help. I installed the extra damper behind my cat and think it helped reduce the drone.
Old 06-03-19, 06:44 AM
HeroDanny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clutchless View Post
Worth a look but I doubt the original rubber donut exhaust hangers have any issues that would warrant replacement. They usually last the life of the vehicle.
They are what they are and the exhaust noise is just the nature of the beast. Maybe moving the front one around will help. I installed the extra damper behind my cat and think it helped reduce the drone.

But this doesn't affect every car... only a (albeit a large) percentage of them. Also I seriously doubt brand new from the factory they made this hum... there has to be a reason.. something had to have gotten worn or something. I didn't get a chance to swap it over yet, but hopefully I can get to it this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The annoying droning engine sound

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: