RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The annoying droning engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 11:46 AM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
This is exactly how you do it. I bought the clamps with 3/8" bolt size instead of the normal 5/16". (ie stronger and fit the damper better) I used double nuts instead of lock washers. The 2nd nut was a self locking type. I also used 2 flat washers - one on each side of the damper as shown in the photo

Jim
Jim, I just saw your thread regarding the annoying droning noise today. I brought my 2015 RE350 last year and noticed that the drone sound came around 1,500-2,000 rpm only. I like to fix the problem my self, I am wondering do I have a buy the rubber part from Lexus dealer or buy from Amazon.ca as I am in Canada?

Thanks
Patrick
Old 05-29-19, 06:47 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HeroDanny
Hey everyone... I tried the solution suggested here but I still get the noise.. I used the exact part number everyone else was using and I bought the 2 1/4 exhaust clamps from autozone. At first I put just the back one on (after the cat) and I noticed it made it better, maybe 30% better than before. So I decided I would do the other side and I felt it's still the same. I was thinking about maybe moving the one before the cat to after the cat but I'm unsure.

I'm 100% my noise is exhaust related. It's definitely not a wheel bearing as it only happens when I press on the gas at low RPM around 40-50 mph. High RPM I don't notice it, and if I take my foot off the gas even for a second it instantly goes away.

Any advice? See pics of my fix... I wasn't able to preserve the rubber washers on mine either, I had to remove them to fit the locking nuts on the end. Also how tight should I get the clamps? I didn't measure the torque but I really cranked them down pretty far ( still could have wrenched them more but was worried about damaging the clamps... or even worse my exhaust, so I stopped) but I was barely able to get that second nut on.

I would try moving them around to different positions. Maybe even try mounting them on an angle to each other. Every exhaust system is a little different and vibrates differently.
Jim
Old 05-29-19, 06:54 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VictPatman
Jim, I just saw your thread regarding the annoying droning noise today. I brought my 2015 RE350 last year and noticed that the drone sound came around 1,500-2,000 rpm only. I like to fix the problem my self, I am wondering do I have a buy the rubber part from Lexus dealer or buy from Amazon.ca as I am in Canada?

Thanks
Patrick
You can buy it from a Toyota dealer or Amazon.ca
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-30-19, 06:27 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
I would try moving them around to different positions. Maybe even try mounting them on an angle to each other. Every exhaust system is a little different and vibrates differently.
Jim
Thanks, I think i'm going to try and remove the damper from the front and mount it to the other side of the back one (using the same clamps, if they fit...) Since I believe that the back one is more important... and maybe even the front one is causing more noise because it adds extra weight on the exhaust. I did notice after fitting the front one it might have made it slightly worse (or exactly the same... hard to tell since it doesn't always sound the same).

I also was wondering... would it be feasible to replace the OEM exhaust hanger insulator dampers? I'm guessing that the RX350 didn't sound this way from the factory and it would only make sense that the original rubber damper may have worn out and caused it to start to make noise. These damper clamps may simply be a band-aid where the real problem could lie in a worn OEM part. Just a thought. I'm going to climb under my car again this weekend and try and see if I can test for play in the hanger... and i'll also move the front damper to the back like mentioned earlier... I'll report back with the results.
Old 05-31-19, 03:06 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,200 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Worth a look but I doubt the original rubber donut exhaust hangers have any issues that would warrant replacement. They usually last the life of the vehicle.
They are what they are and the exhaust noise is just the nature of the beast. Maybe moving the front one around will help. I installed the extra damper behind my cat and think it helped reduce the drone.
Old 06-03-19, 06:44 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Worth a look but I doubt the original rubber donut exhaust hangers have any issues that would warrant replacement. They usually last the life of the vehicle.
They are what they are and the exhaust noise is just the nature of the beast. Maybe moving the front one around will help. I installed the extra damper behind my cat and think it helped reduce the drone.

But this doesn't affect every car... only a (albeit a large) percentage of them. Also I seriously doubt brand new from the factory they made this hum... there has to be a reason.. something had to have gotten worn or something. I didn't get a chance to swap it over yet, but hopefully I can get to it this weekend.
Old 10-11-19, 01:01 PM
Kweigel
Rookie

First of all, let me say THANK YOU!!!

I had the same droning noise as you, it was driving me crazy as well. I inherited the car from my wife, a 2015 (the car, not the wife), and of course now I have to "relentlessly pursue perfection."
Long story short, I bought the same parts as you, took it to my local muffler shop up the street, they put them on for 1/2 hour labor, and now, the only sound I hear is the engine. What a difference!!! They scratched their heads a little while I was explaining it to them, but when I showed them the existing damper on the tailpipe, it started to make sense to them.
Hearing just the engine, and no exhaust drone, helps you realize what a strong, premium motor this car has. I love it.
I'm half tempted to stop at the dealer, and tell one of the service advisors what I did. Maybe it would help someone who comes into the dealership for help.
But most likely, they wouldn't care, and have a good laugh about me "re-engineering" their wonderful perfect Lexus product.

Again, thank you for sharing, and making this forum a great place to be.
Old 10-11-19, 01:50 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kweigel
Long story short, I bought the same parts as you, took it to my local muffler shop up the street, they put them on for 1/2 hour labor, and now, the only sound I hear is the engine. What a difference!!!.
Can you maybe post a picture of your install to show future users what location worked for you?
Old 10-12-19, 10:36 AM
Kweigel
Rookie

My 2015 RX350 Claret Mica/Saddle Leather.

Newly Installed Vibration Damper Ahead of the Catalytic Converter.

Behind the Catalytic Converter.

Both Dampers.

Got a chance to take some quick pictures. Even the wife notices how much quieter the car is now.

Last edited by Kweigel; 10-12-19 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add text
Old 10-16-19, 01:57 PM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kweigel

Got a chance to take some quick pictures. Even the wife notices how much quieter the car is now.
Nice, mine are in the same spot and although the drone is about 90% gone, I still hear it when going maybe 40-50 and slowly accelerating.

It's much better and I can live with it, but maybe i should try re-arranging them a bit and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-19-19, 08:31 PM
Kweigel
Rookie

Glad to hear it (or not hear it!) Let me know if you find a better arrangement!
Old 10-20-19, 09:04 AM
Dadrsk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello, i got a lexus rx 350 2012 model with mileage of about 66000. I got really frustrated with the drone sound at 1500rpm more so when the car gets to operating temperature. I started by replacing my catalytic converter which appeared clogged. It still did not work, i further tried adding a damper to the catalytic converter as advised in a lexus bulletin, still negative..so i added a rubber-like component which serves as an exhaust damper at the point the exhaust is braced to the engine underneath the vehicle. This seems to have eliminated the drone a great deal. You could give it a try and see how it goes. cheers
Exhaust drone damper i added on my 2012 rx 350. Drone sound at 1500rpm is at its bearest minimum
The following 2 users liked this post by Dadrsk:
ledz84 (01-22-23), tomy1986 (10-20-19)
Old 10-20-19, 11:33 AM
tomy1986
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is part number were you using? Please.
Originally Posted by Dadrsk
Hello, i got a lexus rx 350 2012 model with mileage of about 66000. I got really frustrated with the drone sound at 1500rpm more so when the car gets to operating temperature. I started by replacing my catalytic converter which appeared clogged. It still did not work, i further tried adding a damper to the catalytic converter as advised in a lexus bulletin, still negative..so i added a rubber-like component which serves as an exhaust damper at the point the exhaust is braced to the engine underneath the vehicle. This seems to have eliminated the drone a great deal. You could give it a try and see how it goes. cheers
Exhaust drone damper i added on my 2012 rx 350. Drone sound at 1500rpm is at its bearest minimum
Old 10-20-19, 04:49 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,200 Likes on 1,026 Posts

And provide another photo showing how it attaches to the exhaust pipe.
Old 10-22-19, 06:28 PM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomy1986
What is part number were you using? Please.

Just a guess, but maybe this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CHNMHY/?coliid=IGSXTBVA2ZYGR&colid=30GFJZXJ3M1IH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CHNMHY/?coliid=IGSXTBVA2ZYGR&colid=30GFJZXJ3M1IH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
The following users liked this post:
tomy1986 (10-22-19)

Quick Reply: The annoying droning engine sound