RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The annoying droning engine sound

Old 05-30-18, 08:22 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You need to jack it up and place jack stands or use ramps to do this at home. I did the jack stands route. I would never ask a dealer to do this, they would either laugh or charge too much or both. However it is something your local independent mechanic could easily do for far less than a dealer. Just show them the above photo and bring them the parts.
Agree completely
Old 07-02-18, 08:02 AM
EagleEye99
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Raising the Resonance Frequency Worked!

Thank you man. I did the same thing after seeing your post and it worked. I couldn't fit one of the dampeners on the CAT part, so I had to install it behind the doughnut flange. Still did the job

Originally Posted by RealWing
I finally gave up waiting on a fix from Lexus so I did my own engineering assessment. I isolated the vibration down to the section of exhaust that has the cat converter in it. It was definitely vibrating at certain engine rpm's and transmitting that into the cabin via the support hanger on this section. Another poster on the 4th generation forum had installed a similar damper some time ago, so I decided to buy a couple of them and just finished installing them today. I'll need to wait for warmer weather to be sure, but the drone/vibration is now GONE!!! I installed one damper on each side of the cat converter because I wanted to dampen the vibes at both ends. Not sure if I needed both or not. Maybe engineering overkill!!!
Amazing coincidence, but the recently released Lexus(supposed) fix for the 4th Generation has a damper on this section of pipe as well!!! (last photo) No idea why it took Lexus all these years to come up with a solution?????????
I used a damper p/n 17581-31010 but there are other similar dampers available from Toyota/Lexus if you cant find this one. The damper has some fibre washers on the mounting holes. I removed them to provide more room to install the nuts on the 2-1/4" muffler clamps.
Old 07-02-18, 09:32 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Fantastic! Good to hear.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
EagleEye99 (07-11-18)
Old 11-30-18, 01:03 PM
Googleplex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing this this weekend. Vibration from 1.5k to 2k rpms. Wish me luck! Thank you for this write-up. It's like... the only thing "wrong" with the car. My wife was freaked out about it... mostly because other than the sound, it's eerily quiet. She can barely drive our Honda Odyssey anymore, she says it's SO NOISY when she didn't notice anything for like the past 6 years. I identified the noise as coming from under the car after reading this all... making me believe this is exactly what needs to happen. I thought it was the engine and was also nervous about it.
Old 11-30-18, 08:43 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Googleplex
I'm doing this this weekend. Vibration from 1.5k to 2k rpms. Wish me luck! Thank you for this write-up. It's like... the only thing "wrong" with the car. My wife was freaked out about it... mostly because other than the sound, it's eerily quiet. She can barely drive our Honda Odyssey anymore, she says it's SO NOISY when she didn't notice anything for like the past 6 years. I identified the noise as coming from under the car after reading this all... making me believe this is exactly what needs to happen. I thought it was the engine and was also nervous about it.
Please do let us know. I am curious as I have been holding off on the fix. The noise drives me up the wall but my wife is the primary driver, I only take it on long trips on the highway where the sound is more mellow
Old 12-03-18, 06:23 AM
EagleEye99
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Please do let us know. I am curious as I have been holding off on the fix. The noise drives me up the wall but my wife is the primary driver, I only take it on long trips on the highway where the sound is more mellow
Fairly cheap and easy to do if you have a creeper and jack stands. Don't hold off, just do it

Old 12-03-18, 08:04 AM
Googleplex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sigh... my guy did it, only on one side, only used one u-bolt instead of two. Didn't use locking washers or locking nuts. I'm going to have to redo it myself, I guess in the spring. Instructions couldn't have been any clearer, I even printed the pictures from this thread.

It definitely worked, but it's freezing where I am, will have to do it when it warms back up. At least I know it works. Waiting to make it work even better.
Old 12-03-18, 10:01 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The damper is just some dead weight, right?
Can I just attach a similar chunk of steel and save the $50?
Did anyone weigh the damper? Or do you know how much it weights?
Old 12-03-18, 11:02 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Non
The damper is just some dead weight, right?
Can I just attach a similar chunk of steel and save the $50?
Did anyone weigh the damper? Or do you know how much it weights?
No, it is not just a piece of steel. It is rubber mounted to allow it to control the vibrations. (red arrow points to rubber)
Jim

The following users liked this post:
Non (12-03-18)
Old 12-03-18, 01:27 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Googleplex
Sigh... my guy did it, only on one side, only used one u-bolt instead of two. Didn't use locking washers or locking nuts. I'm going to have to redo it myself, I guess in the spring. Instructions couldn't have been any clearer, I even printed the pictures from this thread.

It definitely worked, but it's freezing where I am, will have to do it when it warms back up. At least I know it works. Waiting to make it work even better.
Which side do you have it on? I'd save the money and only do one if I can get away with it.
Old 12-03-18, 07:51 PM
uclabrruin
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

i had a drone on my cpo 2015 with 40k miles. it was happening during acceleration from about 10-25 mph at relatively low revs. i was running 87 gas, which is what the manual says is ok. i switched to 89 and the drone is gone.
Old 12-04-18, 07:39 AM
Non
Intermediate

I just got my 2015 RX350 a few days ago, I did notice the noise but I assumed it's the engine and it's normal.
I will try to install one damper, and see what happens. Amazon sells them for about $47
Old 12-04-18, 08:40 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin
i had a drone on my cpo 2015 with 40k miles. it was happening during acceleration from about 10-25 mph at relatively low revs. i was running 87 gas, which is what the manual says is ok. i switched to 89 and the drone is gone.
That may have been true, but it had nothing to do with the gas.
Old 12-10-18, 07:15 AM
Non
Intermediate

Last night I installed the damper mentioned above, and it made a difference. The "droning" sound is gone, I can hear the engine noise that is steady with the RPM.
I feel one damper is all that is needed.
Old 05-28-19, 08:14 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow I tried

Hey everyone... I tried the solution suggested here but I still get the noise.. I used the exact part number everyone else was using and I bought the 2 1/4 exhaust clamps from autozone. At first I put just the back one on (after the cat) and I noticed it made it better, maybe 30% better than before. So I decided I would do the other side and I felt it's still the same. I was thinking about maybe moving the one before the cat to after the cat but I'm unsure.

I'm 100% my noise is exhaust related. It's definitely not a wheel bearing as it only happens when I press on the gas at low RPM around 40-50 mph. High RPM I don't notice it, and if I take my foot off the gas even for a second it instantly goes away.

Any advice? See pics of my fix... I wasn't able to preserve the rubber washers on mine either, I had to remove them to fit the locking nuts on the end. Also how tight should I get the clamps? I didn't measure the torque but I really cranked them down pretty far ( still could have wrenched them more but was worried about damaging the clamps... or even worse my exhaust, so I stopped) but I was barely able to get that second nut on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The annoying droning engine sound