RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 10:44 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In two and a half years I've got about 30K miles on my Michelin Premier LTX's. The tread is not down to the wear bar, but is around 4 to 5/32. I've been told not to go below 4/32 for wet road performance. The wear is disappointing for a 60K mile tire, but I have been happy with its performance otherwise.
Now looking for replacements, and I'm considering the Defender LTX as well, since its ratings are comparable and it's supposed to wear better. Some things that need to considered: When looking at prices, and performance, you need to consider whether you're looking at 19", or 18" sizes. Also whether the tire is a V rated, or H rated tire for speed. Not sure of the effects on performance, but there is usually a noticeable price difference. Always glad to receive other's input.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (10-16-18)
Old 10-17-18, 08:30 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
In two and a half years I've got about 30K miles on my Michelin Premier LTX's. The tread is not down to the wear bar, but is around 4 to 5/32. I've been told not to go below 4/32 for wet road performance. The wear is disappointing for a 60K mile tire, but I have been happy with its performance otherwise.
Now looking for replacements, and I'm considering the Defender LTX as well, since its ratings are comparable and it's supposed to wear better. Some things that need to considered: When looking at prices, and performance, you need to consider whether you're looking at 19", or 18" sizes. Also whether the tire is a V rated, or H rated tire for speed. Not sure of the effects on performance, but there is usually a noticeable price difference. Always glad to receive other's input.
I just bought and had mounted four of these tires in the link. They are Milestar. I had never heard of them. I thought for $91 I would give it a go. The tires are made in Taiwan and are quiet and balanced easily from what the tech said. They have a treadwear number of 540 and are V rated. They ride well and the only thing that will tell is how long they last. But hay, for 90 bucks it is worth a try. I got them from Amazon and had them shipped to Sears. No tax no shipping for Prime.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-17-18, 08:37 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Milestar tires

I put a response in the sticky but thought others might like the info also. I just had the Milestar tires mounted and thought I would pass along my opinion. They are only $91 for the 19 inch variant. They have a treadwear number of 540, V rated and I got them from Amazon. The tires are as quiet as any and ride just as good. The only thing that will tell if they are worth anything is how long they last. The web site says 50K wear warranty. The tires are made in Taiwan

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-22-18, 08:51 AM
mik725
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, so i just did our tire change over to winters, pulled off the pretty much new Bridgestone Dueler HL 422 Ecopia (which I thought was a loud tire...but thought it was normal because i never experienced any other tire on the RX) and put on some Bridgstone Blizzak DM V-2s. I was quite surprised to find that the Blizzaks are much quieter than the all seasons, quite impressed I must say. Will probably try to find quieter all seasons next spring...
Old 10-22-18, 09:42 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I just bought and had mounted four of these tires in the link. They are Milestar. I had never heard of them. I thought for $91 I would give it a go. The tires are made in Taiwan and are quiet and balanced easily from what the tech said. They have a treadwear number of 540 and are V rated. They ride well and the only thing that will tell is how long they last. But hay, for 90 bucks it is worth a try. I got them from Amazon and had them shipped to Sears. No tax no shipping for Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Interesting. I went to look up these tires on Discount Tire, and on Tire Rack. Could not find them on either. Saw them only on Amazon, and then not in my size.
Old 10-29-18, 12:26 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not quite sure why your RX had Bridgestone Dueler tires installed. Duelers are typically used on trucks and off road vehicles where noise doesn't matter, not on a luxury SUV. The Ecopia 422 is not a Dueler. I would recommend the Bridgestone Potenza or Michelin Premier LTX for a comfortable quiet ride and great wet and snow traction. I bought my RX450h Michelin tires from Costco because I previously had a bad experience dealing directly with Michelin on a problem.
The following users liked this post:
SilverRX30 (10-29-18)
Old 11-01-18, 09:52 AM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexgman
went to Toyota and got buy 3 get 1 free deal on Yokohama Geolander G055 (19s)....with alignment, tax, etc... under $775 (plus I should get a $50 rebate from Yokohama)...beat the dealership by over $250. I did go to the dealership to see if they could come close to the Toyota deal but no dice.
Will update if any issues.....
Had Yoko Geos on my Frontier for two years before I sold it. Good tires and great price.
Old 11-01-18, 09:57 AM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I put a response in the sticky but thought others might like the info also. I just had the Milestar tires mounted and thought I would pass along my opinion. They are only $91 for the 19 inch variant. They have a treadwear number of 540, V rated and I got them from Amazon. The tires are as quiet as any and ride just as good. The only thing that will tell if they are worth anything is how long they last. The web site says 50K wear warranty. The tires are made in Taiwan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bought the same brand from America's Tire (Discount tire in CA) for my nieces HHR. Surprised at the quality for being a tire sold at walmart, but so far holding up fine. Not sure if I would trust them on a larger application such as a luxury SUV myself, but hope they are working out for you.
Old 11-01-18, 10:52 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

The 2015 RX350 FWD we purchased two days ago came with a new set of Kumho Solus KL21 235/55R19 105V tires and a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty. My research tells me that these are average tires at best. I know my local Discount Tire store manager will work with me on a pro-rated deal on the tires of my choosing once these Kumhos wear out even though they were not purchased from him. My guess is that we will be fortunate to get 40,000 miles out of these tires even with the best of care. Time will tell.
Old 11-01-18, 12:04 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin Premier, experience.

Hi Fellas, have not posted in a while. I want to tell you about my awful experience with Premier Tires for my 15 F sport.

I replaced my stock Latitude tires with Premier LTX set as per good reviews - with this I have gone through 6 Balance appointments and 5 dealer visits in total. My issues were:

1) Vibrations at 45mph
2) Vibrations at 80mph
3) Cradle rocking on bumps and certain speeds.

It got to the point of them offering to replace axel's - afterwards they have replaced them with another new set of Premiers. At this point same issuers persisted.

After 5 months, Michelin offered to replace the tires with original Latitudes which completely resolved all vibrations and body waves at certain speeds.

This week, I received feedback that both sets of tires had erratic wear inside and outside of the tread marks. 1 of the 8 tires was defective. In total both sets were driven for 4 months.

My experience was pretty awful to say the least. Just wanted to share.
The following 2 users liked this post by niklow:
BenRX (11-01-18), RX in NC (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 01:53 PM
RX in NC
Racer

We had similar bad experiences with the two-year-old Michelin tires on my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 Victory Edition convertible back in late 2012. After battling with Michelin Corporate for a couple of days, they offered me a 75% credit for the tires. I took it and spent it on a new set of Yokohama YK580 tires which immediately resolved all issues. I have stayed with that Yokohama tire model on that vehicle ever since. I have also had great all-weather results from the set of General Altimax RT43 tires that I installed on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R AWD in December 2016. When the current set of Kumho Solus KL21 tires that came on my wife's newly-acquired 2015 RX350 FWD wear out, I plan to put a new set of those General tires on her vehicle as well.

Old 11-01-18, 02:02 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
We had similar bad experiences with the two-year-old Michelin tires on my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 Victory Edition convertible back in late 2012. After battling with Michelin Corporate for a couple of days, they offered me a 75% credit for the tires. I took it and spent it on a new set of Yokohama YK580 tires which immediately resolved all issues. I have stayed with that Yokohama tire model on that vehicle ever since. I have also had great all-weather results from the set of General Altimax RT43 tires that I installed on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R AWD in December 2016. When the current set of Kumho Solus KL21 tires that came on my wife's newly-acquired 2015 RX350 FWD wear out, I plan to put a new set of those General tires on her vehicle as well.
Interestingly enough, i'm having a somewhat a negative experience with Premiers on my other car as well. All 4 tires are not wearing evenly...creating this awkward ride. Costco offered to replace under warranty - with difference on $ with miles driven. I chose Bridgestone Serenity Plus - which are WAY quieter and smoother than the Premiers on my sedan. I truly believe the Serenity Plus are as good as the MXV4 tires I had.

With the RX...I have sent all my dealer receipts and service records to Michelin from Lexus, they offered me a $70 rebate at first - until I forwarded all supporting documents.
Old 11-02-18, 04:51 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Michelin's quality control is not what it was 30 years ago. I was a dedicated Michelin customer in the 1970s and 1980s when they were hands-down the best tire builder on the planet. But there are multiple tire companies today that long ago surpassed Michelin in bang-for-the-buck performance, longevity, and cost with a variety of tire models. I have not purchased a set of Michelin tires for any of our vehicles in more than 25 years because with just a nominal amount of research I have always managed to find better-quality tires at more favorable prices from companies such as Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, and Yokohama.
Old 11-08-18, 04:21 PM
mkerrins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best replacement tires for RX 350

What tires are best replacement on 2015 Lexus RX 350
Old 11-09-18, 04:52 AM
RX in NC
Racer

There is no single best answer. It depends upon the tire characteristics you desire measured against how much you are willing to pay.

Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread