RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 +$4,000 over a 2012 is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 12:36 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 +$4,000 over a 2012 is it worth it?

I can get $5,000 off a 2012 that lists for slightly under $50K or a 2013 with the same options but only $1,000 off.

On the backend I should get most of it back shouldn't I?

Are there a lot of differences in the 13 versus the 12??

Thanks Dorothy
Old 06-03-12, 12:37 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

dctex99 gave me the following reply where i posted it earlier (in error

with the new Front End some will think of the '13 as the fourth generation even tho not alot of
big changes. I got $2800+ tax equaling $3115 off my '13 so a no brainer! Just the improvement in the mouse really helps; they truly make every year better!!
Old 06-03-12, 01:42 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a few differences: 1) new front styling with new LED driving lights; 2) new color (red) in portion of tail light; 3) new Lexus Enform system (but, will not matter if you don't subscribe to service); 4) tiny change to NAV controller on console. Depending on which wheels you select, they might be slightly different. Some colors have been dropped, new colors added. May be a few other small items I missed? But, it appears that a few things were also taken away. I don't think you can get the the heallights that move with your steering wheel movements and the CD player has been reduced from six disc's to one. The main difference is the styling of front end.

I should mention that Lexus is now offering a new F-Sport version in 2013 if you want sportier look to the car. The sportier front-end and wheels can also be ordered as an option on the regular 2013's.

If you pay $4,000 more, you will not get the difference out when you sell. You will get a percentage of it ... the percentage is unknown since it will vary based on how long you own the car. It will be smaller the longer you own the the car (think something like $1,000 or $1,500).

If you look at the 2013's and you prefer that option, you can just wait a couple of months until the 2012 inventory is depleted and they start dealing on the 2013's. Some people have gotten more than $1,000 off the 2013's so a little patience and bargaining might get you a discount now. The more dealers that you can work with the better chances you will have of getting a good discount.

If you are shopping 2012's, a few things to consider. My dealer is offering $5K PLUS off 2012's so bargain hard. In addition, they are offering $1,000 Lexus loyalty $ if you are a current Lexus owner. Also, 0% or .9% financing (calculate the value in your situation, it can add up). So add up the value of all of this and it will add up to much more than $5K ... perhaps $8,000 +.

I've been down to look at the 2013's a few times ... the new front-end is growing on me and I think that I like it now. Regardless of your decision, look at the tires on the car you are buying. Three brands of tires are offered and getting a car with a good tire will make a positive difference in you experience.

If given your situation, you need to buy today and are stuck with a $4K difference in cost, then only you can tell if the revised front-end is worth $4K to you. Before you make your final decision you might drive a 2012 and 2013 back to back on the same roads. There has been one report (unconfirmed at this point, may be true or not) that Lexus might have slightly tweaked the ride quality on the 2013 to make it a slight bit better. But, if you do this test look at the tires on the car and the air pressure in the tires because these factors can make more of a difference.

Last edited by UCSB; 06-03-12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 02:46 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
There are a few differences: 1) new front styling with new LED driving lights; 2) new color (red) in portion of tail light; 3) new Lexus Enform system (but, will not matter if you don't subscribe to service); 4) tiny change to NAV controller on console. Depending on which wheels you select, they might be slightly different. Some colors have been dropped, new colors added. May be a few other small items I missed? But, it appears that a few things were also taken away. I don't think you can get the the heallights that move with your steering wheel movements and the CD player has been reduced from six disc's to one. The main difference is the styling of front end.

I should mention that Lexus is now offering a new F-Sport version in 2013 if you want sportier look to the car. The sportier front-end and wheels can also be ordered as an option on the regular 2013's.

If you pay $4,000 more, you will not get the difference out when you sell. You will get a percentage of it ... the percentage is unknown since it will vary based on how long you own the car. It will be smaller the longer you own the the car (think something like $1,000 or $1,500).

If you look at the 2013's and you prefer that option, you can just wait a couple of months until the 2012 inventory is depleted and they start dealing on the 2013's. Some people have gotten more than $1,000 off the 2013's so a little patience and bargaining might get you a discount now. The more dealers that you can work with the better chances you will have of getting a good discount.

If you are shopping 2012's, a few things to consider. My dealer is offering $5K PLUS off 2012's so bargain hard. In addition, they are offering $1,000 Lexus loyalty $ if you are a current Lexus owner. Also, 0% or .9% financing (calculate the value in your situation, it can add up). So add up the value of all of this and it will add up to much more than $5K ... perhaps $8,000 +.

I've been down to look at the 2013's a few times ... the new front-end is growing on me and I think that I like it now. Regardless of your decision, look at the tires on the car you are buying. Three brands of tires are offered and getting a car with a good tire will make a positive difference in you experience.

If given your situation, you need to buy today and are stuck with a $4K difference in cost, then only you can tell if the revised front-end is worth $4K to you. Before you make your final decision you might drive a 2012 and 2013 back to back on the same roads. There has been one report (unconfirmed at this point, may be true or not) that Lexus might have slightly tweaked the ride quality on the 2013 to make it a slight bit better. But, if you do this test look at the tires on the car and the air pressure in the tires because these factors can make more of a difference.
An interesting thing about the 19'" Michelins on the 2013 is that Lexus recommends 32PSI,,,AND the maximum pressure on the tire on the sidewall is 35!! I am used to running 35 in all my vehicles but none of the others have such high profile wheels/tires! My Goodyear F1 Z rated tires on my GTO have a Max air of 44PSI, but I run them at 35??
Old 06-03-12, 04:24 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its up to you.

2012 has AFS, the 2013 has a new grill, new headlights, powered folding side mirrors, new colors to choose from, upgraded/3d enform (which is a paid service), and a few other tweaks.

I finally seen the 2013 in person last friday, test drove it, and spent some time looking it over and playing with the options and comparing it to the 2012. IMO its not much different from the 2012 at all. The front looks a bit better but not much better. The more I seen it in person the more the two didn't seem different at all.

I'm still trying to decide if its better to have AFS, or have the power folding mirrors, and new grill front (love the dtr).

On top of that, thousands more can be saved with the 0.9 financing being offered with the 2012.

I even did some addtional research and figured out the longer you keep a lexus, the less the trade in price difference is between models within one year of the other. I posted my results in another thread, but the difference between a 2010 and 2011 (two-three years old) was around 1400 and the difference between the 2008 and 2009 (4-5 years old) was only about 700.

So basically if you are keeping the car at least 5 years, you won't be getting much of anything back in trade in value bc the rx is a year younger, especially if you consider inflation.

WIth that said if you feel the rx 2013 is 4k better than the rx 2012, than go for it. Many peope here has, and I bet they are loving their decision. But I really think it will come down to preference, bc in all honesty they are pretty much the same when its all said and done, and the small differences will depend on you as a potential owner and whetehr or not you think its worth x amount of dollars.
Old 06-03-12, 04:26 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Originally Posted by dotbowels
dctex99 gave me the following reply where i posted it earlier (in error

with the new Front End some will think of the '13 as the fourth generation even tho not alot of
big changes. I got $2800+ tax equaling $3115 off my '13 so a no brainer! Just the improvement in the mouse really helps; they truly make every year better!!

Thats why I always look to see what state the poster who got more than 5k off the 2012, or more than 1k off the 2013 purchased their suv from.

I am on the east coast and the best I have found is 1k off MSRP

And it doesn't take into the account the 3k - 5k saved with the 0.9 percent financing being offered with the 2012 rx.

Last edited by gqscholar; 06-03-12 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 05:22 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gqscholar
The deals in CA are much better than those found elsewhere.

Thats why I always look to see what state the poster who got more than 5k off the 2012, or more than 1k off the 2013 purchased their suv from.

I am on the east coast and the best I have found is 1k off MSRP

And it doesn't take into the account the 3k - 5k saved with the 0.9 percent financing being offered with the 2012 rx.
Yes, everything is playing with figures; I put 23K down because the stock market is too frail right now to be in, so financing the rest thru my CU at 2.49% doesn't cost that much; butg everyone has a different situation. I could have paid cash too, but didn't want to pull any out of anywhere!!
Old 06-03-12, 05:28 PM
yipster222
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dealers are selling 2013 $1000 under invoice for cars in the lot. Wait till the end of the month when the dealers need to meet their quota to get the best deal.
Old 06-03-12, 05:36 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yipster222
Some dealers are selling 2013 $1000 under invoice for cars in the lot. Wait till the end of the month when the dealers need to meet their quota to get the best deal.
here is what I got Remember Lexus holdback is 2% of base price; so only $786 on my car. so if it was $1000 under invoice they would lose money!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 2013 +,000 over a 2012 is it worth it?-dsc_0015-3-.jpg  

Last edited by dctex99; 06-03-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-03-12, 05:47 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Originally Posted by yipster222
I haven't heard of anyone getting 1k under invoice, the best deal I heard was someone say around 300 or so under invoice including the free tint they got or something like that.

I have contacted at least 5 different dealerships on the east coast and the best they are offeering is 1k off of MSRP
Old 06-03-12, 07:59 PM
yipster222
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

East cost are tough.

But in California there are many deals.

Some dealerships are hurting and if they do not move some cars off their lot they will lose some allocations.
I guess it is better to buy a car in California and have it ship to you. You will save about $2000 to $3000.

There are many deals to be made and all the salesman are all BS telling you they cannot sell the car at anything but MSRP. Just be patience and you let them know how much you are willing to pay.

I am in the market for a 2013 RX 350 F-Sport maybe $1000 above invoice for this car.

Below is the email I received from a Lexus of Valencia.

Take delivery any 2013 LEXUS RX350 we have in stock before May 31st, 2012 for:

$1000 UNDER INVOICE!!!

We have the following color combinations of 2013 RX350s physically on the lot and available today, first come first served:

Starfire Pearl White w/Parchment
Starfire Pearl White w/Light Gray
Starfire Pearl White w/Saddle
Tungsten Pearl Silver w/Black
Tungsten Pearl Silver w/Light Gray
Black w/Saddle
Black w/Parchment
Claret Mica w/Parchment
Fire Agate w/Black
Fire Agate w/Parchment
Old 06-03-12, 08:27 PM
data2009
Pole Position

The dealers are not giving discounts on 2013 while their inventories are still full of 2012s. Since 2013 is not much different under the hood and where it matters, paying 4K more for only slightly dressed up model does not make much sense, even on a lease. This is very different from 2010, when dealerships were giving deep discounts for 2009s after Lexus introduced 3rd gen that was IMO drastically different, and vastly improved.
Old 06-03-12, 10:05 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Get the 2013 RX
Old 06-03-12, 11:51 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dctex99
here is what I got Remember Lexus holdback is 2% of base price; so only $786 on my car. so if it was $1000 under invoice they would lose money!!!!!!
According to the dealers I spoke to, Lexus has now eliminated the 2% holdback. They did this so they could keep MSRP about the same as last year. This means there is less room to negotiate.

I was able to negotiate invoice price + free tint here in AZ at a few dealers. Those of you in CA can probably do better.
Old 06-04-12, 03:41 AM
gqscholar
Driver

Originally Posted by krypttic
According to the dealers I spoke to, Lexus has now eliminated the 2% holdback. They did this so they could keep MSRP about the same as last year. This means there is less room to negotiate.

I was able to negotiate invoice price + free tint here in AZ at a few dealers. Those of you in CA can probably do better.
so they tinted your front two windows and its legal in arizona?

did they use tint film or did they manufactor tint it?

NICE

Quick Reply: 2013 +$4,000 over a 2012 is it worth it?