RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

how not to lose key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 04:11 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
They say the trim tool is highly recomended because it is made to lift off body panels without doing any damage to the part or the surrounding area. The tool is a flattened screw driver with a v notch in it to get around the pin that holds the part down. It spreads the prying force out over a larger area and thus reduces the pressure as a whole.

If you use a screwdriver all the force is concentrated in a small area and you are likely to mar or scratch the plastic parts. The orangatang comment was a car reference to how Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear does any sort of delicate work. You do not need it but it can help. I did not use mine.
InRBigness,
do you need to disconnect the battery for connecting the device ?

(I bought it last night and shipping to France within a week or so)
I suppose we receive installation instructions by e-mail in between.
Thx
Al
Old 01-31-12, 07:04 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instructions come in the package. I did not remove the battery cable as I would lose some of my settings. There really isnt any need to disconect as you are just unplugging 2 plugs on the nav controller and disconnecting some other plugs such as the heater control and seat heaters.

The module has 4 plugs on it that match the factory plugs. One large set and one smaller set. Unplug the male Nav unit connector, plug it into the female connector on the module, take the module male connector and plug into the female Nav unit. Repeat with smaller connector. Plug back in the connector you had to unplug to get to the large connector and start to reassemble.

You dont really need to label any of the connectors that you have to remove to get to the Nav unit as they all have different shaped connectors, so you can not mix them up. Just make sure all the recepticles have plugs in them when you are done and that the clips are firmly seated. My background light on the shifter wasnt on far enough so I did not have those lights. I did not realize this until it was dark out. I fixed it in the parking lot of a hockey rink while waiting for my daughters game to start. Took about 5 minutes.

When you restart the system after its all back together it will say that the NAV system is rebooting and reinitializing. This is normal and happens when you disconnect the battery or in our case disconnect the Nav system plug which to the Nav system is the same thing. Let it boot and voila you are done. To activate the system push -,-, +,+ on the steering wheel. You will see the GPS symbol in the top left corner disappear. The module is active and your GPS is suspended. You can make all the changes you want and to reactivate the GPS just push the -,-,+,+ again and you will see the GPS come back. It someimes takes a few seconds depending on where you are. It will also automatically reset when the car is restarted. Thats it, thats all.

My final word of advice is to use a magnetic 10mm socket to remove the four bolts that hold in the head unit. Two are easy to see but the other two you have to sort of get on the floor and look up. They are sort of hidden. I dropped one off them off the socket while pulling the socket out and it took me a while to fish it out.

Let me know how you make out.

Last edited by InRBigness; 01-31-12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 10:59 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Thanks Jairus
How long does it take to remove all plastic to access to connectors?
Any "hazardous" steps (which could result in breaking small clips or else...) while removing panels?
Is there an instructions for replacing the panels after connections?

Alain
Old 01-31-12, 01:08 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

No hazzards except the whole bolt retrieval thing. The panels have very stout clips on them and wont break unless you pull and twist really hard. You dont have to, they pop off. To put back the panels just reverse the order and they pop back into place on the push clips.

As far as time goes I could now take all the plastic off in less than 10 minutes being very careful. The whole thing I could do in about a half hour now that i see how it is done.

Dont wory Alain, you will be fine. The instructions are good and here is a link that has some pictures. I was going to post some then I saw I was beaten to it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...50-rx450h.html
Old 01-31-12, 02:41 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Thanks Jairus for the link, I 've got it already when looking at various posts on this matter (even though the picks have been reversed).

Last question on this today:
- assuming you have programmed a route on the Nav screen, is the route programmed erased when you switch to the device for another function. Am I correct?
- Does this mean that reprogram is required when coming back to "normal" system when using Nav ?
Old 01-31-12, 02:46 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Question to all readers having a pick or slogan, or else attached at the end of your message; how do you do this?
I've tried once but it was attached to a reply / message cannot remember the procedure.
Can we attach in other way for all messages?
Old 01-31-12, 03:02 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

if you have a route that is programmed it will be saved on the hard drive and wont be erased. At least mine were not. I assume you mean when you unplug the nav unit.

If you mean when you activate the system when driving then also no you dont loose anything. What the override does is fool the Nav into thinking that the car is stopped thats all.

To add a signature: click on the quick links button at the top of the page over the search bar and select "Edit Signature". Create your signature and save it.
Old 01-31-12, 03:11 PM
BertL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpy64
Question to all readers having a pick or slogan, or else attached at the end of your message; how do you do this?
I've tried once but it was attached to a reply / message cannot remember the procedure.
Can we attach in other way for all messages?
Try editing your "signature" here