RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key detected in vehicle issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 07:33 PM
elshaffsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key detected in vehicle

I started getting this warning message after traveling over a bump in the road.
The problem was caused by a microswitch in the hatch lock assembly.
I removed the black plastic cover and slightly bent the microswitch lever away from the switch and the problem is gone.
Did not cost any money to fix.

I don't know how to post a picture of the microswitch showing the actuator arm that I bent with needle nose pliers. Can this be done?

Last edited by elshaffsta; 09-23-16 at 06:27 PM. Reason: I would like to post a pictureof the microswitch.
Old 09-21-16, 12:22 PM
CyberCop
Driver School Candidate

Default Key Detected in Vehicle (Bump Related)

This is a reply to Kris posting about "Key Detected in Vehicle" coming up when hitting a bump.
I too own a 2011 RX350 and have been seeing and having this issue since we owned the car (bought Used)
It is certainly related to hitting bumps or when going over a low place in the road.
I have taken it to the dealer and of course the problem never reveals itself and they look at me and wife and think we are crazy.
Well- I not only have a video of it happening on my phone - we have taken pictures of the message on the dash.
I cannot explain the exact cause yet and I am not convinced it has to do with back latch. The last time it was occurring it was happening very often- but dealer never saw it when it was in for oil change.
The other owners who have reported the problem are spot on with the symptoms and related causes (small bumps). This is definitely an issue with this vehicle but the exact cause and resolution is yet to be found.
I will stay on it.
Thanks
Todd
Old 12-02-22, 03:18 PM
Gruia
1st Gear

Originally Posted by elshaffsta
I removed the black plastic cover and slightly bent the microswitch lever away from the switch and the problem is gone.

I don't know how to post a picture of the microswitch showing the actuator arm that I bent with needle nose pliers. Can this be done?
Hi! I encountered the same problem with my 2011 RX. Could you please send me o picture showing the microswitch that you adjusted?
newgruia@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Gruia
Old 12-03-22, 10:39 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by elshaffsta

Yes ... look at the thumbnail row for attachment [paper clip] and picture.

Salim