RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key detected in Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 06:19 PM
dwilco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Key detected in Vehicle

After reading 100's of posts and finally going on a 45 minute drive with constant alternating ". Key detected in vehicle" warning alternating with "rear door open" warnings and 45 minutes of constant beeping. I knew I had to come to a conclusion. Either find a fix, or drive the vehicle over a cliff.
I searched 100's of posts of people spending money, time, and energy at the dealer attempting to find a fix with very little luck among any of the posters.
. I ended up fixing the problem for 48 cents.
. I was unable to find the original post that recommended this , so that I could thank the person that came up with this idea, but I will pass it on.
First, I took electronic spray cleaner and thoroughly sprayed the inside of the rear hatch door latch. There is a small rectangular carpeted cover the can be easily removed with a flathead screw driver to allow you to spray into the latch itself. This definitely improved, but did not fix the problem. You can get electronic contact spray cleaner at Walmart or RadioShack.
You then need to buy 1/4 inch lock washers. This cost me 48 cents.
Open the rear hatch door, and on both sides of the bottom of the door you will see, rubber bumpers sticking out from the door.
Look down by the rear bumper where those rubber bumpers hit when the door is closed.
With a Phillips head screwdriver, remove the rubber washers down near the rear bumper.
Place two lock washers under each of the rubber washers to help raise them up and screw them back into place.
I have driven over speed bumps, I have gone over a curb and no alarms have gone off. Prior to this fix I could not hit a pebble in the street without an alarm going off. For a year, I have been dealing with this problem and it only took 48 cents to fix it
Attached Thumbnails Key detected in Vehicle-lexus-1.jpg   Key detected in Vehicle-lexus.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by dwilco:
ColAngus (12-21-16), vlad_a (12-21-16)
Old 12-21-16, 07:10 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Thank you for sharing! Awesome solution.
Old 12-26-16, 04:27 PM
dwilco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwilco
After reading 100's of posts and finally going on a 45 minute drive with constant alternating ". Key detected in vehicle" warning alternating with "rear door open" warnings and 45 minutes of constant beeping. I knew I had to come to a conclusion. Either find a fix, or drive the vehicle over a cliff.
I searched 100's of posts of people spending money, time, and energy at the dealer attempting to find a fix with very little luck among any of the posters.
. I ended up fixing the problem for 48 cents.
. I was unable to find the original post that recommended this , so that I could thank the person that came up with this idea, but I will pass it on.
First, I took electronic spray cleaner and thoroughly sprayed the inside of the rear hatch door latch. There is a small rectangular carpeted cover the can be easily removed with a flathead screw driver to allow you to spray into the latch itself. This definitely improved, but did not fix the problem. You can get electronic contact spray cleaner at Walmart or RadioShack.
You then need to buy 1/4 inch lock washers. This cost me 48 cents.
Open the rear hatch door, and on both sides of the bottom of the door you will see, rubber bumpers sticking out from the door.
Look down by the rear bumper where those rubber bumpers hit when the door is closed.
With a Phillips head screwdriver, remove the rubber washers down near the rear bumper.
Place two lock washers under each of the rubber washers to help raise them up and screw them back into place.
I have driven over speed bumps, I have gone over a curb and no alarms have gone off. Prior to this fix I could not hit a pebble in the street without an alarm going off. For a year, I have been dealing with this problem and it only took 48 cents to fix it
FIX: For two weeks I have hit numerous bumps in the road and still have a rare occasion where the alarm goes off . If you lock and unlock the door it will shut it off right away . I may end up adding one more washer on each side which will probably cure the problem. I finally like driving my vehicle again .