RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 09:02 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snowman22
Those low numbers are what prompted me to trade that car in for the RX450h. The Hybrid is as advertised. Great mpg summer and winter. Though winter numbers are about 15 percent lower. I also use Sunoco gasoline. I have had five hybrids. I learned a long time ago to go easy on the pedal. I tried everything with that 2013 RX to no avail. Dealer several times to check. Never found anything wrong. I just gave up. I pity whoever bought it.
Glad you're happy with the 450. Your numbers for the 350 were extremely low, and out of the ordinary. My best guess is that you got a Lemon, with something inherently wrong with the car. You might be very lucky that you got rid of it.
Old 03-19-17, 05:13 PM
splee99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 RX 350 gives me 15 mpg in the city, short trips. On the high ways it can reach 23.5 mpg. Even in the city the fuel economy is better when you drive with a warmed up engine.
Old 03-22-17, 07:19 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like my wife's 2013 RX appetite is inline with what others are getting, daily mixed driving around 18-20 mpg and long distance hwy trips 21 - 22mpg. It is hard to get a steady 20mpg in a daily mixed driving. Might add these numbers are a bit worse by 1-2 mpg than our previous 2nd gen RX330. The figures IMHO are dismal compared to other luxury and even bigger SUVs, and smallish gas tank is causing us to visit the gas station bit more often than we would have liked to. Hoping that non-hybrid 4th gen delivers more respectable MPG.
Old 03-23-17, 07:53 AM
Iqbala88
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys I read a lot of the gas post on here.

I recently purchased a RX350 2014 with 27k on the clock. I purchased it out of Maryland and I live in NYC. A lot of stop and go traffic.

I'm a bit more worried this car will burn a hole in my wallet before i can finish off the payments for this car. I'm always seeing 10,11 or 12 mpg after refueling or average. Even at gas station fills ups I manually calculate it that's what I'm getting in town. I understand EPA is never on the ball park for NYC residents. However my highway drive from Maryland to NYC the max I got was 16 mpg this is rediculously low. Anyone else in NYC with a 3rd gen receiving alittle better gas mileage?

I have no codes no lights nothing on

2014 black/blk RX350 AWD. Not a heavy foot keeping it under 2000rpm driving like a grandmother to see if I get any better gas mileage. Please help guys. Idk if it's the cats because at 1500-1700 rpm there's quiet a noticeable sound and vibration felt thru passenger side belt. Got it checked out mechanics say it's the new sport sound nothing is wrong.
Old 03-27-17, 04:55 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Default Mpg

Originally Posted by coachlkg
Doesn't the hybrid version require premium gas? I just filled my tank with regular for $1.89/gal, so 13 city & 22 highway isn't so bad right now.
Regular gasoline is in the manual. About a year ago I was getting a consistent 26-27 mpg. I thought what the heck try a tank of higher grade and see what happens. Well just the opposite of what I thought took place. Mpg dropped down to low 20-21 mpg. Stayed that way for several months. No matter what I did it stayed that way. Keep in mind this was all because of one tank of higher octane. Finally out of the blue-- filled up one day and walla-- mpg jumped back up to my old higher mpg. Took a bit of time but now back up to respectable numbers once again. Go figure. Anyone out there have a similar experience. I can't explain it but my guess would be the computer. That's runs everything. For some reason it went bonkers and then corrected. So to your question --- use regular like the manual says.
Old 03-27-17, 05:04 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Default Sorry

Originally Posted by Iqbala88

I recently purchased a RX350 2014 with 27k on the clock. I purchased it out of Maryland and I live in NYC. A lot of stop and go traffic.

I'm a bit more worried this car will burn a hole in my wallet before i can finish off the payments for this car. I'm always seeing 10,11 or 12 mpg after refueling or average. Even at gas station fills ups I manually calculate it that's what I'm getting in town. I understand EPA is never on the ball park for NYC residents. However my highway drive from Maryland to NYC the max I got was 16 mpg this is rediculously low. Anyone else in NYC with a 3rd gen receiving alittle better gas mileage?

2014 black/blk RX350 AWD. Not a heavy foot keeping it under 2000rpm driving like a grandmother to see if I get any better gas mileage. Please help guys. Idk if it's the cats because at 1500-1700 rpm there's quiet a noticeable sound and vibration felt thru passenger side belt. Got it checked out mechanics say it's the new sport sound nothing is wrong.
if you read some of my previous posts you will,see I had horrid mpg on my 2013 RX. I was down to 10-13 mpg. At one point 8 mpg. I traded it in as soon as I could. Some people report average of 20-21 mpg. I think they are in denial of their real mpg. I truly hope they get that but I know several neighbors with RX's and they all agree mpg is nothing short of horrendous.
All have traded in.
Old 03-27-17, 06:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ LOL yeah we're all lying about our real mpg...
Old 03-27-17, 08:53 AM
erom43
Rookie

Not sure what kind of mileage I would get in NYC, but I would have to think it substantially lower than I get in Orlando suburbs. Every time you press on the gas pedal, or the brake pedal, you are lowering your mileage, and the harder you press, the worse the mileage. Also affected, when sitting at idle waiting for the light to change. NYC traffic has to be extremely bad for mileage. Also, I would think the AWD models would get a little less than the FWD cars. Please note that only the mileage since last fill up is remotely accurate. The "average" figure in my car is way off the mark, unreliable and for me unusable.
Old 03-27-17, 02:33 PM
Iqbala88
Driver School Candidate

if you read some of my previous posts you will,see I had horrid mpg on my 2013 RX. I was down to 10-13 mpg. At one point 8 mpg. I traded it in as soon as I could. Some people report average of 20-21 mpg. I think they are in denial of their real mpg. I truly hope they get that but I know several neighbors with RX's and they all agree mpg is nothing short of horrendous.
All have traded in.
i understand nyc isn't the place to hold EPA's numbers accountable.however I do feel it has to deal with the computer memory and the previous driver.

With epa or close to it those outside states I do believe getting those numbers because EPA has mix or highway like 25 or so some are getting 21-23 highway makes sense. I purchased this vehicle and brought up from from Maryland to NYC all highway driving getting 15-18 mpg sucks. I spoke to 4th gen owners and 2nd and 3rd gen owners in NYC. My neighbor has a 2016 4th gen. Agreesive driving gets him 200-216 and normal driving 220-230. Were talking about 50 mile difference here. Other 3rd gens here are getting 200-215 and 2nd gen is lighter weight, my uncle has an 09 gets 230, he's a fire department inspector so a lot of stop and go, start stop engine and still gets 230 which says a lot.

In my theory it may be the change of gas as I suspect last guy wasn't putting high octane to the vehicle.

Also all 3rd gen owners do you hear a distinct noise or vibration or droining at 1500-1750 rpm? I think it's the exhaust system and that maybe causing more gas consumption. My wife feels it thru her seatbelt or if the holds the seat belt buckler when I'm at 1500-1750rpm she feels the vibration. Anyone else experiencing that?
Old 04-03-17, 06:22 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

i
3rd gen owners do you hear a distinct noise or vibration or droining at 1500-1750 rpm? I think it's the exhaust system and that maybe causing more gas consumption. My wife feels it thru her seatbelt or if the holds the seat belt buckler when I'm at 1500-1750rpm she feels the vibration. Anyone else experiencing that?
I have a 2013 AWD. I have never experienced vibration at any RPM.
Old 04-03-17, 07:22 AM
Iqbala88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coachlkg
I have a 2013 AWD. I have never experienced vibration at any RPM.
it's only felt thru passenger side when it sounds like a droning sound.
Old 05-15-17, 11:03 AM
New2L
Driver School Candidate

Regular gasoline is in the manual. About a year ago I was getting a consistent 26-27 mpg. I thought what the heck try a tank of higher grade and see what happens. Well just the opposite of what I thought took place. Mpg dropped down to low 20-21 mpg. Stayed that way for several months. No matter what I did it stayed that way. Keep in mind this was all because of one tank of higher octane. Finally out of the blue-- filled up one day and walla-- mpg jumped back up to my old higher mpg. Took a bit of time but now back up to respectable numbers once again. Go figure. Anyone out there have a similar experience. I can't explain it but my guess would be the computer. That's runs everything. For some reason it went bonkers and then corrected. So to your question --- use regular like the manual says.
I just brought home a 2015, FWD, CPO, had less than 15k miles. Dealership told me the computer was programmed to get best fuel economy using low octane regular. Drove it 11hrs home mostly 75-80 mph highway speeds. Haven't calculated exact mileage, but it was very good, I'd guess right 25mpg. Used low test fuel.
Now here's a question...Are these 3rd Gen. RX350's designed to tolerate ethonol blends common now in low test gas????
Old 05-22-17, 04:23 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Default Mpg

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ LOL yeah we're all lying about our real mpg...
My intent was to be informative. I was not questioning anyone's mpg. It was just a statement of thought.
Old 05-22-17, 06:43 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

it's only felt thru passenger side when it sounds like a droning sound.
My passengers (mostly my wife, who is a complainer) have never mentioned a vibration or a droning sound.
Old 05-22-17, 08:51 AM
erom43
Rookie

Question Sudden loss of gas mileage.

I too have had an unexplained loss of mileage. My 2013 RX with 60K on it would get a very consistent 23.5 average on the interstates. All of a sudden, it dropped to 21.5. Local driving seems to follow the same pattern. The only variable would be the gasoline source. I used to attribute the loss to the local Costco station, but now it is appearing with other sources as well. One possibility is that more local stations have increased their ethanol percentage to the maximum.....unlikely? Is it possibly engine related? Could I need new plugs, cleaning or tune up? Anyone else have similar mileage drop?

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread