RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

power trunk door

Old 10-21-13, 05:17 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to my dealer today and asked that they program the button on the rear door to Auto Open, when pressed. Their tech made the other programming changes I wanted, but said that this option was greyed out.

The SA said this could be because my 2010 model is an early one. The manufacture date is May 2009. Could this be true, or is the tech just clueless?
Old 10-21-13, 05:23 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
I went to my dealer today and asked that they program the button on the rear door to Auto Open, when pressed. Their tech made the other programming changes I wanted, but said that this option was greyed out.

The SA said this could be because my 2010 model is an early one. The manufacture date is May 2009. Could this be true, or is the tech just clueless?
After going through the programming screens myself on my 2010 Rx450h, I believe this is true. The early 2010 model did not have that option in the software programming.
Old 04-21-14, 06:17 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know it's an old thread, but what they do is plug in a ruggedized (rubber-cased) laptop running software called "Techstream". It connects through the OBD2 socket, and uses pins which are specific to Toyota in addition to the standard J1850 CAN pins.
Much of the discussion regarding what can and cannot be done is due to three factors:
1. The mfg date of the car. E.g. early 2010s had different firmware from later production. This early version had slightly different functions/options available to be programmed. If there is a firmware update for the car (again, e.g. the early 2010s) you could get the new version installed, but would probably have to pay Lexus service for their hourly rate. I believe that the minimum is 1 hour, but you could possibly negotiate this with the SA.
2. Version of the Techstream software. As you would expect, the software is updated periodically, both for new cars, and to match new/added function on older ones. So, you might get different answers from the same tech over time.
3. Training/experience of the individual tech. You might get different answers from different techs at the same dealer.

For those who like computer adventures, there are several vendors who sell Techstream and the required cable.
I am not endorsing any of them, you will have to do careful research. Be aware that AFAIK, Techstream will not run on the 64-bit versions of Windows (but 64-bit hardware seems to be OK).
Old 04-21-14, 01:54 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
I know it's an old thread, but what they do is plug in a ruggedized (rubber-cased) laptop running software called "Techstream". It connects through the OBD2 socket, and uses pins which are specific to Toyota in addition to the standard J1850 CAN pins.
Much of the discussion regarding what can and cannot be done is due to three factors:
1. The mfg date of the car. E.g. early 2010s had different firmware from later production. This early version had slightly different functions/options available to be programmed. If there is a firmware update for the car (again, e.g. the early 2010s) you could get the new version installed, but would probably have to pay Lexus service for their hourly rate. I believe that the minimum is 1 hour, but you could possibly negotiate this with the SA.
2. Version of the Techstream software. As you would expect, the software is updated periodically, both for new cars, and to match new/added function on older ones. So, you might get different answers from the same tech over time.
3. Training/experience of the individual tech. You might get different answers from different techs at the same dealer.

For those who like computer adventures, there are several vendors who sell Techstream and the required cable.
I am not endorsing any of them, you will have to do careful research. Be aware that AFAIK, Techstream will not run on the 64-bit versions of Windows (but 64-bit hardware seems to be OK).
Slight correction there: actually, the pins in the OBD2 port that their hardware uses for changing personalized settings are the standard CAN pins. The actual application-layer protocol for changing settings is non-standard, but the hardware communication happens on the standard pins. That allows standard/cheap hardware like the ELM327 bluetooth modules to be able to do the same thing.

If you want an alternative to going to the dealer and/or installing drivers with old 32-bit versions of Windows, you can change these same settings with Carista, our Android app for Lexus customizations and diagnostics. We don't have ALL the settings for the power trunk yet, but we have a lot of them and we're working on adding some more. We support 50+ settings for a 3rd-gen RX, depending on the exact year and factory-installed options. Check out the link in my signature.

Plus, that way you don't have to rely on what the dealer knows how to do or what they're willing to do. And if you don't like your new settings, you can change them as many times as you like with Carista, from the comfort of your own car.
Old 04-21-14, 08:50 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Hi, Carista. Thanks for the update. I had forgotten exactly which functions require the non-CAN pins.
If you can shed any light on this, I will edit my previous post.
Also, many thanks for the Android app! I have only recently started using an Android tablet machine (an Asus) but it would be a good hardware platform if it has the needed connectivity for the cable.
I will definitely check out the software!
Old 04-22-14, 03:54 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Hi, Carista. Thanks for the update. I had forgotten exactly which functions require the non-CAN pins.
If you can shed any light on this, I will edit my previous post.
Also, many thanks for the Android app! I have only recently started using an Android tablet machine (an Asus) but it would be a good hardware platform if it has the needed connectivity for the cable.
I will definitely check out the software!
There's no cable required for Carista It works over Bluetooth, wirelessly. You do need a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle though. But in any case, your Asus Android tablet should be compatible, as long as it has Bluetooth (which almost all tablets and phones do).

About the pins: all diagnostics, customizations, and live data for Toyota/Lexus cars that use the CAN protocol goes over the standard CAN pins on the OBD2 port (pins 6 and 14). I don't know about ECU reflashing, but I would guess that it goes over those standard ones as well. Older models that don't use CAN use the "K" line pins, which are also standard, but I don't have much experience with those yet. Actually, Toyota is pretty good about using standard protocols, at least at the lower layers... unlike VW/Audi, which is a nightmare for us to deal with.

So anyway, yes, please check out our app and let us know if you have any feedback. The app is free to download and free to use, up to the point where you want to CHANGE a setting. Then you have to buy the Pro Package, which is currently $9.99 for unlimited use. But you can see what settings are available on your particular car (and what their current values are) for free. With the latest beta version, you can even email yourself the list of settings from your car (again, free).
Old 04-23-14, 07:39 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Very cool!
And thanks for the additional information.
SInce you have quite a bit of experience with Lexus', do you happen to know when (mfg date) that the version was changed from 3350 to 3357?
I understand that version 3350 does not allow the trunk opener to be customized so the hatch can be opened using the switch on the hatch itself.

Last edited by Gene01; 04-23-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 06:48 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Very cool!
And thanks for the additional information.
SInce you have quite a bit of experience with Lexus', do you happen to know when (mfg date) that the version was changed from 3350 to 3357?
I understand that version 3350 does not allow the trunk opener to be customized so the hatch can be opened using the switch on the hatch itself.
I don't have that info, sorry. The good thing about the Toyota/Lexus protocol is that diagnostic software (like Carista) can "ask" each car what settings it supports. That way we don't have to have a database with the supported settings for each year and model. All we need is a database of the settings themselves (along with their identifiers), but not what models or years they apply to. So that's why I don't have to know about the differences between the 3350 and 3357 - Carista can just determine them dynamically when it connects to the vehicle.

Anyway, that was a bit of a technical tangent, sorry if I bored you guys
Old 05-03-14, 07:56 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Not bored at all - thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-28-23, 08:44 PM
mainiac34
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread may be too old to draw any readers now but I've recently read it through at least 4 times and did not find the answer to my problem " the PBD would not power up or down by any of the various means available". The power was probably turned off inadvertently by me and my PBD stopped working. Throughout this thread there are those that have had this issue and have sought out a dealer for a programming fix. I'm here to say for those that still have a power issue it's not a programming at all but rather a customization option left to the owner of the vehicle by an ON/OFF selection within the Multy-Information Display (MID) in the Instrument Cluster. Page 101 of my 2017 RX Owners Manual says the power can be turned on and off to the PBD but is lax in telling you how. The steps are too involved to list here but they are laid out in this YouTube video:
I followed this and my door now powers up and down which is all I wanted to accomplish anyway.
Old 11-29-23, 04:21 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

^^ Your 2017 RX is a 4th generation model. Our 3rd generation models (2010 to 2015) may not have this particular capability. Anyone know for sure?
Old 12-06-23, 04:01 PM
jaykremm
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the same issue (door not working) and watched this video. Checked my dash and confirmed that this setting wasn't listed for my 2014. Checked the manual and it showed me that an enable/disable button exists behind the glovebox door on the left side. Amazing... my rear hatch works now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power trunk door