RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

expensive windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 07:47 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default expensive windshield

Miss fortune driving in PA/Philly over the weekend. Something hit the windshield with so much force that it sounded like gun shot. It was so loud that my kids watching movie in the back heard it. Luckily it didn't shatter the windshield but left a nickle size "star" with three line of hairline crack. I got a quote of $160 for repair but $1650 for OEM windshield. $675 aftermarket windshield doesn't have acoustics or any GPS antenna mounting "slots". For those who had windshield replaced on 10RX, how much did you pay for OEM/aftermarket? And user input on aftermarket if you have. Looks like GPS antenna is permanently mounted on the windshield. I think the windshield didn’t crack all the way through because of acoustics film that may have prevented more severe damage. I am also calling insurance to figure out if my policy covers windshield damage even though I don’t see any entry referencing windshield replacement.
Old 06-01-10, 07:50 PM
Orbit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago I had a winshield replaced, and my insurance covered it under my comprehensive (not collision) coverage, less the deductible.
Old 06-01-10, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

all lexus windshields are now around 1100 - 1200 plus labor. do you have rain sensor wipers? if so, it can get a bit more expensive.

are you sure the gps antenna is mounting on the windshield? most other lexus vehicles i know of, the gps antenna is on the dash.

when i got my ls460l and gs350, the biggest problem was lack of aftermarket windshield coz' the cars were so new and they didn't even have the rain sensors ones

otherwise, to be honest, aftermarket might be just fine
Old 06-01-10, 10:19 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have HUD? I wonder how much that adds. My insurance has glass coverage incl windshield. I asked the insurance company, when I bought the car, if they would cover OEM replacement since I had the HUD. They said they would cover it.
Old 06-02-10, 05:25 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Do you have HUD? I wonder how much that adds. My insurance has glass coverage incl windshield. I asked the insurance company, when I bought the car, if they would cover OEM replacement since I had the HUD. They said they would cover it.
I don't have HUD but with HUD would cost even more. Mine is a typical RX with prem/comfort/Navi package. On SC, GPS antenna was mounted outside the vehicle but on 10RX, it looks like its mouted on very top inside the windshield with plastic cover. I believe rain-sensing is standard in all Gen3 RX. one of the member here from NY had his windshield replaced twice in 6 months period so if you are reading this, give me some feedback befor I call my insurance. thanks.
Old 06-02-10, 05:32 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
Miss fortune driving in PA/Philly over the weekend. Something hit the windshield with so much force that it sounded like gun shot. It was so loud that my kids watching movie in the back heard it. Luckily it didn't shatter the windshield but left a nickle size "star" with three line of hairline crack. I got a quote of $160 for repair but $1650 for OEM windshield. $675 aftermarket windshield doesn't have acoustics or any GPS antenna mounting "slots". For those who had windshield replaced on 10RX, how much did you pay for OEM/aftermarket? And user input on aftermarket if you have. Looks like GPS antenna is permanently mounted on the windshield. I think the windshield didn’t crack all the way through because of acoustics film that may have prevented more severe damage. I am also calling insurance to figure out if my policy covers windshield damage even though I don’t see any entry referencing windshield replacement.
If you have proper insurance, they should cover it. They may try 1st to 'fill' it but if that doesn't work, they should replace with OEM. My w/s was replaced under warranty due to crack right up center. They did have to determine there was no impact point to rule it as a strange stress crack. Replacement has not been a problem at all.

It's my understanding your GPS antenna is the shark fin so many cars are using now. It's rear center on roof.
Old 06-02-10, 06:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
I don't have HUD but with HUD would cost even more. Mine is a typical RX with prem/comfort/Navi package. On SC, GPS antenna was mounted outside the vehicle but on 10RX, it looks like its mouted on very top inside the windshield with plastic cover. I believe rain-sensing is standard in all Gen3 RX. one of the member here from NY had his windshield replaced twice in 6 months period so if you are reading this, give me some feedback befor I call my insurance. thanks.
Not standard.I thought it was too.
Comfort package option.
Should be standard along with HIDs.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-02-10 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 05:22 PM
dennison17
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield Cost

I was cruising down the freeway in my 2010 450h and took a mean rock that cracked the glass immediately. I have extremely high deductible ($1000) because I NEVER need to make a claim...ya right on! I had SafeLite Autoglass replace with an OEM ($700) because the Lexus replacement was double the price. It was then that I started talking to the installer...who showed me the replacement windshield was actually made by the same folks who make the Lexus glass, but they have to scratch off (no kidding…. it was etched out) the name on the glass. So far no problems with the new window... it is identical to the one that came with the car. All shading, mirror mount, etc is the same.
Old 06-02-10, 06:24 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dennison17
I was cruising down the freeway in my 2010 450h and took a mean rock that cracked the glass immediately. I have extremely high deductible ($1000) because I NEVER need to make a claim...ya right on! I had SafeLite Autoglass replace with an OEM ($700) because the Lexus replacement was double the price. It was then that I started talking to the installer...who showed me the replacement windshield was actually made by the same folks who make the Lexus glass, but they have to scratch off (no kidding…. it was etched out) the name on the glass. So far no problems with the new window... it is identical to the one that came with the car. All shading, mirror mount, etc is the same.
$700 is the aftermarket windshield, if its the same glass, it would be awesome. Do you have Navi? I have what seems to be a GPS antenna mounted on the glass so I am not sure how that is reattach with windshield change. Shark-fin one member mentioned above is radio antenna which is found on all 10RX and many other vehicles.
Old 06-03-10, 06:22 PM
garfull
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the rx windshield also has a rain shedding coating on the surface.
Old 06-04-10, 09:36 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

I have decided to repair it instead of replacing. repair looks good and I am hoping i don't have to replace the windshield as long as I own the vehicle.