GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 08:26 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED

Hey guys. I know this topic has been discussed numerous times, but I'm looking for some fresh opinions.

I need to know who out there has replaced their OEM windshield with an aftermarket replacement such as PPG or Pinkerton, and whether you've had ANY problems whatsoever (e.g., wind noise, leaks or rattles).

On Monday, a rock hit my windshield and chipped the glass. It's been two days, and cracks have spidered out from the chip across my windshield. I called Lexus on Monday and they told me that the Lexus/Toyota windshields are actually made by PPG. My dealership wants $1,200 to replace the windshield. My insurance company referred me to All Star Glass (who, ironically, happens to be the exact same company that my dealership uses), who will install a PPG windshield for around $275 installed. My insurance policy covers the replacement (less my deductible of $500), but my agent won't approve the $1,200 job from the dealership because its the same glass installed by the same company, the only difference being the fact that Lexus/Toyota is etched on the glass. I can't say that I blame him.

So, let's hear from those of you who have replaced OEM windshields with aftermarket. I (and probably Tuddy too ) would greatly appreciate it.

e
Old 05-17-06, 08:31 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my OEM windshield replaced with PPG for $210 .. no problems. it's been about.. 3 months now.. good luck with your choice!
Old 05-17-06, 08:35 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Just replaced mine last month with the PPG.....It is the same quality and looks just like the Lexus one. You wont have any issues. If you do have issues, its because the installer is a dope...not cause its bad glass.

Good luck....PPG is great quality glass
Old 05-17-06, 08:39 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Hey Kharizma and AZDesert GS. Thanks for the quick replies. Do you know whether the installer had to order an OEM molding kit or did they just re-use the existing molding?
Old 05-17-06, 08:40 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im gettin mine done tomorrow...

did anyone have any issues wih the rearview mirror or anything? was everything placed back to the original way? i hate change esp when it comes to my GS

am i gonna have that stupid blue tape on my car? haha

E-man i didnt mean to jack your thread bro..sorry
Old 05-17-06, 08:41 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tuddy
im gettin mind done tomorrow...

did anyone have any issues wih the rearview mirror or anything? was everything placed back to the original way? i hate change esp when it comes to my GS

am i gonna have that stupid blue tape on my car? haha

E-man i didnt mean to jack your thread bro..sorry
No problem at all, Tuddy. Who's doing the install, what brand glass are they using, and how much is it going to cost?
Old 05-17-06, 08:50 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
No problem at all, Tuddy. Who's doing the install, what brand glass are they using, and how much is it going to cost?

friend of mine...i think hes using PPG and bout the price i have no clue insurance is takin care of all that...im gonna miss the little lexus logo ethced in the corner of the glass but i could live without it as long as im not paying for it haha good luck E-man and ill tell you how everything goes tomorrow
Old 05-17-06, 08:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Oh, and one more question, does anyone have the definitive answer as to whether the OEM GS windshield is treated with some type of water repellant? I know a lot of guys seem to think that it is, but according to PPG, the glass they make for the GS is not treated. Anyone?
Old 05-17-06, 09:01 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your suggesting the $275 windshield is the same as the $1200 windshield. They both might be manufactured by the same company, the Lexus glass is made to a higher temper, and made to resist the chip in the first place. They don't crack as quickly when chipped.

If you have an original Lexus/Toyota windshield, it's a $1200 replacement unit. Made to Lexus standards. Not to be confused with a $250 unit. It's a softer glass that cracks at the smallest stone. Once replaced with the inexpensive glass, it's difficult to convince insurance go back to the original expensive design. Would they put used or clone body parts in your auto if they were damaged, and not factory parts? You might run that past the agent for future reference.

Chevrolet and Cadillac are both General Motors; PPG makes several grades of glass.

Just a different look at the situation. Good luck with your install and I hope it goes well.
Old 05-17-06, 09:15 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, and one more question, does anyone have the definitive answer as to whether the OEM GS windshield is treated with some type of water repellant? I know a lot of guys seem to think that it is, but according to PPG, the glass they make for the GS is not treated. Anyone?
01+ does have rain repellent in it. you can really tell too. If you do end up going oem e, have them order you an oem windshield for a GS430. If you get oem through insurance you have to pay $500 deductible, right?
Old 05-17-06, 10:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tammy
Your suggesting the $275 windshield is the same as the $1200 windshield. They both might be manufactured by the same company, the Lexus glass is made to a higher temper, and made to resist the chip in the first place. They don't crack as quickly when chipped.
If you have an original Lexus/Toyota windshield, it's a $1200 replacement unit. Made to Lexus standards. Not to be confused with a $250 unit. It's a softer glass that cracks at the smallest stone.
Thanks for the reply, Tammy. But my current glass is OEM and the stone that cracked it didn't appear to be that big. Also, it only took 2 days (in fairly mild spring temperatures) for cracks to form and spread across my windshield. Are you saying that if the glass were non-OEM it would have been much worse? I don't doubt that there are windshields made to certain standards, but are you saying that PPG makes two windshields for the 2nd gen GS -- one that comes OEM on the car and one that is used for aftermarket replacement? Could they be that different? I agree it's hard to believe that a $275 replacement could be the same as a $1,200 one, but having just gone through putting new shocks on my car, I'm not so sure. My dealer wanted about $450 for the parts. I got the same OEM parts for $220 from Sewell Lexus. They also wanted $600 for the install, but they ended up doing it for $350. So, instead of paying over $1,000, I ended up paying around $600. Does that mean that what I got for $400 is different than what I would have gotten had I paid $1,000? I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, because I really don't know the answer. I guess the question boils down to whether PPG makes two different grades of glass for the 2nd gen GS -- an inferior grade etched with PPG in the corner and a superior grade etched with Lexus/Toyota. Right?
Old 05-17-06, 10:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
01+ does have rain repellent in it. you can really tell too. If you do end up going oem e, have them order you an oem windshield for a GS430. If you get oem through insurance you have to pay $500 deductible, right?
Thanks C. So I take it that my current OEM 99 glass is not treated with repellant?
Old 05-18-06, 03:49 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tammy

If you have an original Lexus/Toyota windshield, it's a $1200 replacement unit. Made to Lexus standards. Not to be confused with a $250 unit. It's a softer glass that cracks at the smallest stone. Once replaced with the inexpensive glass, it's difficult to convince insurance go back to the original expensive design. Would they put used or clone body parts in your auto if they were damaged, and not factory parts? You might run that past the agent for future reference.

Chevrolet and Cadillac are both General Motors; PPG makes several grades of glass.

Just a different look at the situation. Good luck with your install and I hope it goes well.
So if he does go with the PPG then it is more prone to cracking? I find it hard to imagine that a company would put out a windshield that could be cracked so easily, sounds like a safety issue to me. I think we all have experienced the Lexus markup so we know what that is like. Anyway to contact PPG and ask about the strength of the windshield you are looking at in comparison to the one with Toyota/Lexus etched on it?
Old 05-18-06, 04:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks C. So I take it that my current OEM 99 glass is not treated with repellant?
pretty sure.
Old 05-18-06, 08:03 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Seriously.....Its just a windshield. PPG makes very good quality glass. There are standards for these companies so I highly doubt that there are cheap grades and superior grades when it comes to namebrand windshields. Just get the PPG windshield and be done with it. I go through 2-3 windshields a year and my best friends has been in the glass business for 17 years so this info is coming from someone who knows the business. Good luck I wouldnt hesitate to get the PPG and drive with it till that one gets cracked.

Quick Reply: Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED