RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 12:20 PM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Heads up.... my white Sports Model, with 22,000 Km has evidence of rust around the backup camera. Also I have tiny red/brown spots all over the car. Dealer found others in his lot with the same problem. Taking it in end of June to have them dig a little deeper.

Bill
Old 05-31-10, 06:54 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Strange, I had a problem like this way back in 1983 on my Supra's tailgate. In my case, I believe this was a paint batch defect that was improperly mixed as it appeared in the fifth year of ownership. In your case however, I would hazard to guess your dealer's lot is either downwind from a plant that released corrosive emissions into the air, or road salt was allowed to remain on the cars at some point for an extended period of time, causing the paint's normally impermeable surface to break open in microscopic pinholes allowing moisture to seep in. Definitely a repaint is in order - seek generous compensation from them.
Old 06-02-10, 01:05 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BillON1
Heads up.... my white Sports Model, with 22,000 Km has evidence of rust around the backup camera. Also I have tiny red/brown spots all over the car. Dealer found others in his lot with the same problem. Taking it in end of June to have them dig a little deeper.

Bill

This must be Canadian "thing", I saw this same type of complaints from forum member in another manufaturere site. Its metal dust that got stuck and making it look like actual rust. You should wash of the rust ASAP so it doesn't actually rust through the paint and expose the surface metal.
Old 06-02-10, 01:11 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

it's probably rail dust. you'll have to clay bar the entire vehicle, after washing it with dawn. refer to the Zaino thread/website for further instructions.
Old 06-02-10, 06:32 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jtrue28
it's probably rail dust. you'll have to clay bar the entire vehicle, after washing it with dawn. refer to the Zaino thread/website for further instructions.
"rail dust" can appear on new vehicles during transport but gets washed during POD. Looks like "BillON1" had his RX for a year so it is some other external environmental cause.
Old 06-02-10, 07:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Bill
Why wait til end of June? If it's rust, it will only get worse.
Old 06-05-10, 02:11 PM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by afpj
Why wait til end of June? If it's rust, it will only get worse.
That's when both the dealership and I have time to have it looked at.

Further info... I purchased the paint protection spray from the dealer.. the car has never been anywhere near an industrial plant nor a railway... we live up in farm country... well away from Toronto.... never driven on gravel ...it's probably spent no more than 7 nights outside..... 12,000 of the Kilometers were put on from March 26/10 to May 22/10 when I drove down to California and spent 2 months in Palm Desert... nice and dry and no salt... the other 10,000 Kms were put on in Southern Ontario .

Bill
Old 06-05-10, 05:43 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

It's been almost a week since the origianl post...notice any difference i.e. more spots? Are you taking pics to document? Just curious. If you took pics, can you post? I'm especially curious about the rust around the rear camera.
Old 06-05-10, 09:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill
Bill, It's very likely rail dust, especially given the fact other cars on your dealership's lot has the same issue. Surely, your dealship has dealt with this issue before. Past stories I have heard Lexus always took care of the problem.
Old 06-08-10, 03:10 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Light colors with the rust freckles on the rear are rail dust. A clay bar and polish take care of it in a few minutes. I clay every 6 months when I detail my cars. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the entire car. You will be happy with the results.
Old 07-01-10, 07:29 AM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Update

Dealership had the car for the day, they did a "fall out" clean up at no cost and now want the car for 3 days as they're going to repaint the hatch. They had hoped when they looked around that they would find that the rust was just staining from the backup camera mount. They're not happy that this is the case so are re-painting. Great service but I'm worried that such a new car should require this kind of attention.
Old 07-01-10, 11:43 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Update

Dealership had the car for the day, they did a "fall out" clean up at no cost and now want the car for 3 days as they're going to repaint the hatch. They had hoped when they looked around that they would find that the rust was just staining from the backup camera mount. They're not happy that this is the case so are re-painting. Great service but I'm worried that such a new car should require this kind of attention.
that seems little too extreme. not sure if that is part of Lexus service or if there are other problems you are not aware of that they didn't mentioned. camera mount is plastic so why can they just replace the camera if they are really that concern.

I am on other two auto forum sites and there are same discussion about your experience with "rust" and are all from Canada.
Old 07-11-10, 12:52 PM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Took the car in and left it for 2 days. They dismantled and repainted the hatch. They have advised Lexus that mine and other cars in their inventory have this problem. Keep and eye on your tailgates!

Bill
Old 02-26-12, 12:14 PM
Scaramanga
Driver School Candidate

I just noticed a very small pinhole with a yellow discoloration on the right side of my hatch. It looks like a rustspot. I am going to take it to Don Valley North Lexus in March to have it checked out. I will report back.
Old 02-26-12, 01:01 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had a similar issue for ages with paint from various companies. I live in Oshawa and my cars are serviced at Lexus on the Park- (yes next to a rail line--stupid location--I know)-each spring I clay them and what little "rust specs" cannot be removed with the clay compound, I use a product called 3M Finesse-it --its a micro polish with very very light abrasives.....I do not want them to repaint anything unless there is damage - factory paint is impossible to replicate and matching is difficult. I have heard the spots are from rail dust and I have heard from pollution - in any event they look terrible and very noticeable on white (09 RX), silver and I would guess that light cashmere. Very hard to see on my smokey granite (10 RX) but i am sure that they arethere!! My RX's spend their time outdoors but my IS350C stays in the garage and I have even had to take spots off of it and it is Matador Red. The trick is just to stay ahead of it. Hope that helps!

dentate
Oshawa, ON

Quick Reply: Rust