RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cold weather hurts mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 11:56 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather hurts mileage

OK, our weather has collapsed for the winter with temps ~15F during the day, and my mileage has gone from 27-28 overall to 24-25ish.

I haven't tried changing fuel grades yet, I typically use midgrade.

So is this to be expected with a hybrid?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-09, 11:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
OK, our weather has collapsed for the winter with temps ~15F during the day, and my mileage has gone from 27-28 overall to 24-25ish.

I haven't tried changing fuel grades yet, I typically use midgrade.

So is this to be expected with a hybrid?

Thanks.
That is expected with all vehicles, its mostly due to winter gas formualtion and longer warm up time. With Hybrids, I would think its even worst since the battery is not as efficient in the cold.
Old 12-10-09, 01:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
That is expected with all vehicles, its mostly due to winter gas formualtion and longer warm up time. With Hybrids, I would think its even worst since the battery is not as efficient in the cold.
Gman
There you go again spewing information that you don't know to be correct. You do not own a 2010 RX but you keep posting info as if you're a factory tech rep or something. Why do you do this and what horoscope do you get your info from???

I have a RX450h. My mileage went down just a little starting in September because I was getting more of a heavy foot and it didn't go down that much, maybe to about 29 VS 30 avg. Last week I drove over 120 miles of combined city/hwy driving with temps in 40's day and 30's night and got over 31. The cold means the ICE has started earlier (cause the batteries are cold) but once the batteries warm up it hasn't changed.

I check my mileage very frequently as I usually fill up between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank to take advantage of pricing. I keep a pretty close check on it.

Folks this isn't my 1st Lexus or 1st RX but it's my 1st Hybrid and performing in every way as I thought it should for the reasons I chose it. If 'extreme' cold affects the mileage a little, that would be normal with any car all things being equal. But I don't think it will be more than if it were gas only. And this info is from a 'current' 2010 owner, not a 'speculator'.

For the record, these batteries are designed for high charge and dis-charge rates. That way they get a much longer life span than lithium and charge faster. Also they are inside the cabin, under the rear bench and vented for cabin air to cool them. They create their own heat during use and warm up rather quickly.

'nuff said

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-10-09 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 02:26 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tire pressure drops when the cold sets in

check to make sure yours are still good
Old 12-10-09, 05:28 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2006 RX400h, and with the onset of cold weather, my mileage (or kilometreage haha) has gone from 8.2 l/100km to 9.5 l/100km. The ICE has to run more often when it's cold for a myriad of reasons. Charging the battery is one, but also the catalytic converter must be kept up to temp for emissions reasons, and if you are heating your cabin the engine must run to keep the coolant hot enough to give you reasonable climate control.

Also (at least where I live) it the introduction of 'winter' gas every year in the fall. I think all the gas companies do is add more ethanol to the gas to prevent gas line freezing. Ethanol produces less energy than gas, so your mileage will drop, hybrid or not, when the winter gas comes out.

Additionally, hybrid or not, you will be running more electrical accessories when it's cold out, also leading to reduced mileage (i.e. headlights, fog light, rear defroster, heater fan). In the hybrid, all the electrical accessories are run off the traction battery - the regular 12volt battery is just for powering the computers at start up. There is no alternator. So running all these extra load in cold weather will drain the traction battery faster and lead to increased ICE run time.
Old 12-10-09, 06:59 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
tire pressure drops when the cold sets in

check to make sure yours are still good
even out on in the AZ desert, the temps which are around 100 daytime and 70-75 at night in the summer are now 60's day and 30's nite--thus one needs to add a few pounds to the tires to maintain the proper pressures.

The reverse in the spring--take out a few pounds.

I still find the driver and style has a lot to do with mileage--wife still gets mid 20's and I get close to 30. She has the heavy foot. And there is a cost.
Old 12-11-09, 08:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Gman
There you go again spewing information that you don't know to be correct. You do not own a 2010 RX but you keep posting info as if you're a factory tech rep or something. Why do you do this and what horoscope do you get your info from???

I have a RX450h. My mileage went down just a little starting in September because I was getting more of a heavy foot and it didn't go down that much, maybe to about 29 VS 30 avg. Last week I drove over 120 miles of combined city/hwy driving with temps in 40's day and 30's night and got over 31. The cold means the ICE has started earlier (cause the batteries are cold) but once the batteries warm up it hasn't changed.

I check my mileage very frequently as I usually fill up between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank to take advantage of pricing. I keep a pretty close check on it.

Folks this isn't my 1st Lexus or 1st RX but it's my 1st Hybrid and performing in every way as I thought it should for the reasons I chose it. If 'extreme' cold affects the mileage a little, that would be normal with any car all things being equal. But I don't think it will be more than if it were gas only. And this info is from a 'current' 2010 owner, not a 'speculator'.

For the record, these batteries are designed for high charge and dis-charge rates. That way they get a much longer life span than lithium and charge faster. Also they are inside the cabin, under the rear bench and vented for cabin air to cool them. They create their own heat during use and warm up rather quickly.

'nuff said
Cruiter, I am not sure what your problem is, but you really need to get your facts straight. May I also suggest that you read the whole thread before you write a offensive response and make a fool out of yourself. The OP live in OH and you live in GA, there is quite a bit of diff. in what is considered cold weather between those areas. If your NiMH performance better than lithium batteries, then why is Toyota calling lithium batteries the next generation of Hybrid batteries.
Please get your fact straight before you post. Owners like you a is living proof that just because you own a car, that doesn’t mean you know anything about it.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-11-09 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Cruiter, I apologize if I called you an un-informed owner, that was not my intention. Let just stay with the facts please, we can all debate like adults here without getting personal.
Old 12-14-09, 07:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Cruiter, I apologize if I called you an un-informed owner, that was not my intention. Let just stay with the facts please, we can all debate like adults here without getting personal.
Apology accepted but that is one of the problems Gman. This is not a debate forum. It's for owners and interested parties to discuss the particular Lexus product they link to. As in likes, dis-likes, how-to suggestions, discussions on options and ad-on's etc., and so forth.

If you feel the need to debate something with someone then that should be done in private.

As for me, I do stay with the facts as I experience them.

Sorry folks for being off-topic
Old 12-14-09, 08:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Apology accepted but that is one of the problems Gman. This is not a debate forum. It's for owners and interested parties to discuss the particular Lexus product they link to. As in likes, dis-likes, how-to suggestions, discussions on options and ad-on's etc., and so forth.

If you feel the need to debate something with someone then that should be done in private.

As for me, I do stay with the facts as I experience them.

Sorry folks for being off-topic
I beg the differ, although this is a Lexus forum, it is still a public forum where owners, non-owners, pass owners or anyone, as matter of facts, can join and post their knowledge, experience or plain old opinion about any Lexus. The discussion can be pro-Lexus or anti-Lexus, which will give the reader two different points of views. I realize this is not a general rebate forum, but debating about the performance of a Lexus model like I was doing is exactly what this forum is intented for.
As for your experience, its good info for everyone in this forum to hear, but your experience might not be the same as others. Such as the case with the winter gas mileage. Your idea of cold weather is around 30 deg F, where as the original poster live in Ohio, which gets much colder than that. Lets deal with facts, the facts is that battery efficency will decrease with lower temperature.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-14-09 at 08:10 AM.