RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Foggy taillight.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 07:44 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Foggy taillight.

After driving the car for a day in the rainy condition, my left rear taillight got this moisture problem. After a half day, the moisture went away. But I guess the airseal or something isn't working anymroe. Well, if I bring it to the dealer, what should I expect from them to get this fixed?

This is 1st car in my life getting into this moisture issue. Lucky.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 10-14-09, 07:47 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot to post the picure... not very clear.

Attached Thumbnails Foggy taillight.-moisture-intaillight.jpg  
Old 10-17-09, 01:27 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

it should be taken care of under warranty, i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-17-09, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

will be changed out by dealer. watch our for headlight moister too, common probably with the 2gen RX
Old 01-10-10, 11:38 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Got this checked during my 10k service. The dealer inspected it and found it's not the problem unless the moisture or water cannot be evacuated in a day or two. There are small holes insides which will help eliminate the water/moisture...

Dunno...
Old 01-10-10, 11:43 PM
415mm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. had this problem with a different car and i had to bake the taillights. crack them open remove all the moisture and reseal them with silicon. didn't know that the holes would help. its also propably the problem.
Old 01-11-10, 05:17 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Got this checked during my 10k service. The dealer inspected it and found it's not the problem unless the moisture or water cannot be evacuated in a day or two. There are small holes insides which will help eliminate the water/moisture...

Dunno...
The fogginess to disappear in a day or two? That is inacceptable. The light housing should not have any moisture period. Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Maybe its not sealing properly and the rubber seal needs to be replaced. A foggy tailight is a safety hazard. And it will corrode whatever is inside quicker.
Old 01-11-10, 11:08 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
The fogginess to disappear in a day or two? That is inacceptable. The light housing should not have any moisture period. Take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Maybe its not sealing properly and the rubber seal needs to be replaced. A foggy tailight is a safety hazard. And it will corrode whatever is inside quicker.
I like to get the new one for usre. I don't like that "hole" idea, either. I agreed this is not right and they should do something about it.

The problem is that this "only" happened 3 times with the size of approximately 5-16 square inch. (I got my RX since last May) In my cases, they are all disappeared next morning. Once in Vermont, in rainy day with temperature around 30-45 F, overnight; twice in Boston, rainy day, the similar temperature, overnight. In where I'm now, NYC, we have tried numerous times to pour water on the top of it for at least 10-15 mins, similar temperature, nothing happened. It's hard for me and the dealer to replicate this and present.

Unfortunately, not too many dealers are willing to replace this type of case if they cannot duplicate or they don't see the moisture insides.
Old 01-11-10, 04:52 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to get the new one for usre. I don't like that "hole" idea, either. I agreed this is not right and they should do something about it.

The problem is that this "only" happened 3 times with the size of approximately 5-16 square inch. (I got my RX since last May) In my cases, they are all disappeared next morning. Once in Vermont, in rainy day with temperature around 30-45 F, overnight; twice in Boston, rainy day, the similar temperature, overnight. In where I'm now, NYC, we have tried numerous times to pour water on the top of it for at least 10-15 mins, similar temperature, nothing happened. It's hard for me and the dealer to replicate this and present.

Unfortunately, not too many dealers are willing to replace this type of case if they cannot duplicate or they don't see the moisture insides.
Rxet, seems like you are having all kinds of fitment issue(s) with your 10RX. I had the exact same issue 2-3 times during Aug-Sep during unusually rainy months in DC area but will clear up overnight in the garage and did not have any issues since. “hole” in the tail-lamp and light housing is by design so I would not worry about the “holes” unless its plugged. Late model SC [i use to have one] were/are more prone to moisture build up in tail-light housing because it had extra outer shell that would separate over the years. My 96 SC only had minor issues but some owner had to use the “oven” trick to separate and reseal the outer shell. When you get a chance, take out the tail-lamp housing to make sure the “hole” [drain plug] is clear of dirt buildup or twisted closed [i guess anything is possible].
Old 01-11-10, 06:07 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sightdev
Rxet, seems like you are having all kinds of fitment issue(s) with your 10RX. I had the exact same issue 2-3 times during Aug-Sep during unusually rainy months in DC area but will clear up overnight in the garage and did not have any issues since. “hole” in the tail-lamp and light housing is by design so I would not worry about the “holes” unless its plugged. Late model SC [i use to have one] were/are more prone to moisture build up in tail-light housing because it had extra outer shell that would separate over the years. My 96 SC only had minor issues but some owner had to use the “oven” trick to separate and reseal the outer shell. When you get a chance, take out the tail-lamp housing to make sure the “hole” [drain plug] is clear of dirt buildup or twisted closed [i guess anything is possible].
Well, this is interesting. This reminds me of the "oven" stuff. I did use this trick to seal one headlight in the past. The result is that I won't touch any kind of airtight or hermetically sealed components again.
Old 01-12-10, 02:45 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The car is new. If it hasn't been damaged/wrecked than it's under a strong warranty from Lexus, not the dealer. Plain and simple, tell him if he thinks it's normal then ask him to put you on a conference call with him and Lexus Corp to discuss it. You'll get a new tail light. He'll never make the call.
Old 01-12-10, 02:59 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
^^^^1, a premium automobile has no moisture or fogginess issue, make them fix it
Old 01-12-10, 06:22 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the pictures you took of the foggy lights is sufficient to convince them there is a problem.

I dont want to belabor the point. But here is a worst case scenario. Here in Houston it rains a lot. If the inside of the tailight assembly gets foggy it means moisture. Over time this will hasten corrosion of electrical connections. One day you will lose your tail lights on a rainy day. A car hits you from behind because he doesn't see you. Accident. Injury. And worse.