RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Drove a 2010 with HUD!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 04:34 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove a 2010 with HUD!

We had the chance to drive one of the new RX's with a HUD, which from what I understand is quite the rare option. I have to admit, it is an impressive piece of hardware. This was also our first chance to actually spend some time with a new RX so we could get a good comparison with our 05, the new Q5 (which we drove a couple of weeks ago) and the Venza, which we have yet to find and drive in AWD (drove a FWD V6 and it really does haul butt).

Lexus designed the HUD so that the image you see appears to be some distance outside the front window, more on the same focal plain as normal sight so you do not have to refocus the old mark 1 eyeballs. The image seems to sort of float out there in the vicinity of the middle of the hood. I know, sounds odd, but it really works well. Nav system directions (turns) show up as does a digital speed readout. You can also see radio settings when you go to change stations. The image is adjustable for both height and brightness, and is easy to make that adjustment while driving. We had the chance to spend about and hour playing with it, and the new Nav system 'mouse'. Again, I reiterate that I'm very surprised, and impressed with both these innovations.

Now, as for the new RX and our impression, that front end, gad, it still looks like bucky beaver got a branch sideways in his cheeks. Sorry to insult those that like the new style, but with a 2010 and a 2009 side by side, head on, the 09, in my opinion, still looks significantly better. I swear that Lexus must have hired laid off Honda or Aztec designers to sculpt that snout, it just doesn’t belong or fit on this vehicle. I can live with the somewhat slab sides, the backend is quite decent (would have loved duel exhaust though), and even the 'dead cat' space above the tires is tolerable (the one we drove had the 19’s), but the front to me, is still butt ugly.

In summary, I will be happy to eat crow in regards to the interior which, when seen in person, is very well executed, and should be really easy to live with. The HUD is superbly done and I would love to have that on any vehicle. The new ‘mouse’ Nav systems works, and works well and was very easy to get used to quickly (full disclosure here – we do not have Nav on our 05, I use a Garmin 660 instead – it was less that $300). The voice recognition is much better, but it still makes some notably stupid mistakes – I asked for a smooth jazz radio station and it tried to re-route me on the nav, then I asked for a POI (gas station) and it proceeded to change radio stations to a Hip Hop channel (I hate Hip Hop!). We (my wife and I, both) still can’t get past the RX snout, maybe it will grow on us, but we’re going to drive the Q5 again, then the Venza before we make a decision, which luckily we are in no hurry to make right now.
Old 03-08-09, 05:54 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the MSRP?

Did it have the luxury package or was it just an added option?
Old 03-08-09, 05:56 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Orzel
We had the chance to drive one of the new RX's with a HUD, which from what I understand is quite the rare option. I have to admit, it is an impressive piece of hardware. This was also our first chance to actually spend some time with a new RX so we could get a good comparison with our 05, the new Q5 (which we drove a couple of weeks ago) and the Venza, which we have yet to find and drive in AWD (drove a FWD V6 and it really does haul butt).

Lexus designed the HUD so that the image you see appears to be some distance outside the front window, more on the same focal plain as normal sight so you do not have to refocus the old mark 1 eyeballs. The image seems to sort of float out there in the vicinity of the middle of the hood. I know, sounds odd, but it really works well. Nav system directions (turns) show up as does a digital speed readout. You can also see radio settings when you go to change stations. The image is adjustable for both height and brightness, and is easy to make that adjustment while driving. We had the chance to spend about and hour playing with it, and the new Nav system 'mouse'. Again, I reiterate that I'm very surprised, and impressed with both these innovations.

Now, as for the new RX and our impression, that front end, gad, it still looks like bucky beaver got a branch sideways in his cheeks. Sorry to insult those that like the new style, but with a 2010 and a 2009 side by side, head on, the 09, in my opinion, still looks significantly better. I swear that Lexus must have hired laid off Honda or Aztec designers to sculpt that snout, it just doesn’t belong or fit on this vehicle. I can live with the somewhat slab sides, the backend is quite decent (would have loved duel exhaust though), and even the 'dead cat' space above the tires is tolerable (the one we drove had the 19’s), but the front to me, is still butt ugly.

In summary, I will be happy to eat crow in regards to the interior which, when seen in person, is very well executed, and should be really easy to live with. The HUD is superbly done and I would love to have that on any vehicle. The new ‘mouse’ Nav systems works, and works well and was very easy to get used to quickly (full disclosure here – we do not have Nav on our 05, I use a Garmin 660 instead – it was less that $300). The voice recognition is much better, but it still makes some notably stupid mistakes – I asked for a smooth jazz radio station and it tried to re-route me on the nav, then I asked for a POI (gas station) and it proceeded to change radio stations to a Hip Hop channel (I hate Hip Hop!). We (my wife and I, both) still can’t get past the RX snout, maybe it will grow on us, but we’re going to drive the Q5 again, then the Venza before we make a decision, which luckily we are in no hurry to make right now.
I am really happy to hear nice comments about the HUD. We ordered the RH450h with it and just about everything else as well.
Old 03-08-09, 06:47 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Btmnk21
What was the MSRP?

Did it have the luxury package or was it just an added option?
This one was right at $48k, about the only option it didn't have was the rear seat entertainment, and sport. It was the full Lux package, ML, Nav, 19” wheels and the Safire paint, which in person is a very dark inky blue when in direct sun (yes we had a few patches between snow squalls), otherwise it looked black. Not my ideal color, but interesting.
Old 03-08-09, 08:56 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PatSoxfan: I am thinking of getting the RX450h as well with just about all the options too. How much did you buy for? MSRP?
Old 03-09-09, 06:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Heads up display is hardly an innovation, other manufacturers have had it for 10 years.
Old 03-09-09, 06:40 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Is the HUD visible during the day, or is this something that can only be used at night?
Old 03-09-09, 08:14 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
Is the HUD visible during the day, or is this something that can only be used at night?
It's easily visible both day and night.
Old 03-09-09, 08:22 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sickntired
PatSoxfan: I am thinking of getting the RX450h as well with just about all the options too. How much did you buy for? MSRP?
The price is not yet available. I have not paid anything yet. I was promised that I would get a sizable discount from the MSRP since I have been a loyal customer for many years.
Old 03-09-09, 08:52 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My understanding is tha the HUD is only available on AWD models on the West Coast...
Old 03-09-09, 09:28 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

From what I know so far, the HUD is an option like the ML and the remote starter, freestanding and not a part of any "package." Like the ML, it is rare (whereas the remote starter is practically standard) and will be hard to find. It's also fairly pricey (I think it's around $1,200.00 or even $1,500.00), which will also assure that it will be found on only a few cars.
Sounds like fun, though.
Old 03-09-09, 11:56 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
From what I know so far, the HUD is an option like the ML and the remote starter, freestanding and not a part of any "package." Like the ML, it is rare (whereas the remote starter is practically standard) and will be hard to find. It's also fairly pricey (I think it's around $1,200.00 or even $1,500.00), which will also assure that it will be found on only a few cars.
Sounds like fun, though.
The cost of the HUD is indeed $1200. When we ordered our RX450h the salesman was showing us the prices of the various options.
Old 03-09-09, 12:06 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Heads up display is hardly an innovation, other manufacturers have had it for 10 years.
Agree, that a HUD has been made available on several high end cars for years, the difference here is the exection. The readout is done in such a way that you do not have to refocus your eyes off the road. The display seems to float out there somwhere in the vicinity of your hood, so it's very user friendly. It's highly visible day or night (we actully had to turn down the brightness), with good controls, and height (angle of view) adjustement. Lexus did a masterful job of designing this.

One other thing, if, and I have been unable to confirm this, the HUD is a stand alone option, without the Nav, you will loose a significant amount of it's capabilities.

BTW, our dealer has 2 RX's with the HUD, one Black, the other the Safire that we drove.
Old 03-09-09, 12:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Orzel, have you seen the Cadillac STS' head-up display, its the same thing, except they had it for years.
Old 03-09-09, 12:34 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Orzel, have you seen the Cadillac STS' head-up display, its the same thing, except they had it for years.
As a matter of fact I did, now either the Caddy I had a chance to drive was not set up properly, or it was having a real bad day, because the focus on the HUD was really poor, and it washed out in bright sunlight (also drove a Vette with HUD - it wasn't any better). The RX was/is better IMHO. The image is sharp, clear, and highly adjustable - and it's a pretty blue too . I'd love to have that same technology on my 05 and on our IS.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2010 with HUD!