RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 2004 Front Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 10:00 PM
Jacques72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 2004 Front Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Hello All,
This is my second post in connection to a recent previous post. I just bought a used 2004 RX330 and there's a couple problems that have popped up (of course after I left the dealership). I've searched the net and this forum with no luck for solving my problems. To start, I need to replace have to replace both front wheel speed sensors but I'm not finding where it is and/or where to buy it and/or guide for a how-to for replacing it? Any help is appreciated!
Thank you!
Old 05-08-18, 04:11 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques72
Hello All,
This is my second post in connection to a recent previous post. I just bought a used 2004 RX330 and there's a couple problems that have popped up (of course after I left the dealership). I've searched the net and this forum with no luck for solving my problems. To start, I need to replace have to replace both front wheel speed sensors but I'm not finding where it is and/or where to buy it and/or guide for a how-to for replacing it? Any help is appreciated!
Thank you!
There are four (4) abs sensors. How did you determine that it was the front abs sensors that needed replacement?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html
Old 05-08-18, 07:12 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

on each hub behind the brake rotor dust shield, you will find a wire that leads directly to the sensor secured by 12 or 14mm bolt through a metal tab. Wiggling the metal tab should break the rust free to pull out the sensor. Clean the hole with brake cleaner and a brush to remove excess rust in preparation for the new sensor. Follow the wire up to the securing bracket on the body and further up will be the plug. You can buy new sensors at your dealership or order through any autoparts store and online. I bought mine through NAPA.
The following users liked this post:
Jacques72 (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 09:10 AM
Jacques72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Audiqv8
There are four (4) abs sensors. How did you determine that it was the front abs sensors that needed replacement?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html
I took it to a mechanic acquaintance and he told me what was wrong. He also mentioned that I need to be careful when purchasing the sensors. They are manufactured in Canada and Japan and they are slightly different sizes and specific to the vehicle. Mine is from Japan.
Old 05-08-18, 09:13 AM
Jacques72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
on each hub behind the brake rotor dust shield, you will find a wire that leads directly to the sensor secured by 12 or 14mm bolt through a metal tab. Wiggling the metal tab should break the rust free to pull out the sensor. Clean the hole with brake cleaner and a brush to remove excess rust in preparation for the new sensor. Follow the wire up to the securing bracket on the body and further up will be the plug. You can buy new sensors at your dealership or order through any autoparts store and online. I bought mine through NAPA.
Thank you! I've looked online and couldn't find them. I guess I'll have to walk in. I'm not a big fan of NAPA and their parts but I'll go there if I cannot find them anywhere else. Sounds like a pretty easy replacement. Thanks again!!
Old 05-08-18, 10:30 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Thank you! I've looked online and couldn't find them. I guess I'll have to walk in. I'm not a big fan of NAPA and their parts but I'll go there if I cannot find them anywhere else. Sounds like a pretty easy replacement. Thanks again!!
NAPA was just convenient for me and i was impatient to wait for an online order. Rockauto.com has them and usually they have very competitive pricing with OEM or other auto parts stores. Refer them as "ABS Wheel Speed Sensors"
The following users liked this post:
Jacques72 (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 03:15 PM
Jacques72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
NAPA was just convenient for me and i was impatient to wait for an online order. Rockauto.com has them and usually they have very competitive pricing with OEM or other auto parts stores. Refer them as "ABS Wheel Speed Sensors"
Thank you fastnoypi for the lead to Rockauto! I found them and have placed them in my cart. I have one more question that you might be able to help me with. Do you know what the difference is between the Economy and Standard Replacement sections? I have selected the Economy but I want the best part so it lasts the longest. I plan on keeping this vehicle for years!
Old 05-08-18, 04:39 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Thank you fastnoypi for the lead to Rockauto! I found them and have placed them in my cart. I have one more question that you might be able to help me with. Do you know what the difference is between the Economy and Standard Replacement sections? I have selected the Economy but I want the best part so it lasts the longest. I plan on keeping this vehicle for years!
i'm not sure, its somewhat a crapshoot when it comes to non-oem parts. Sometimes its as simple as the finish on the brackets that the economy may use a cheaper paint by the supplier. Just be sure to match the part for Japan or USA built vehicles..that can be determined with an online VIN decoder, there might be a calibration difference for each market.