RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Guy with 2008 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 05:24 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Guy with 2008 RX350

OK, just bought a 2008 RX with 140k. This is my first post. Coming from a 2002 LS. This is a different beast.
Going through it to bring everything up to standards.
It has the new dash and no outstanding recalls. Tailgate latch cover is melted, ordered one off of eBay for $8
Ordered NGK plugs and an accessory belt kit with new pulleys and tensioner that hopefully will fix the annoying whirring sound.
Cleaned the windows with Bon Ami. What a difference that made! New blades all around.
Missing the locking lug key. My son has a removal tool. Ordered a new set of lugs to freshen the wheels up.
Going to tackle fluids next. What do you guys do for new transmission fluid? I don't believe in fluid for life.
Should I change the diff fluid? What engine oil do you guys run?
Brakes and rotors are new, tires new, everything works. Back up lights need improvement. Any tips?
Need to get rear cargo liner, what brand do you like?
I'm impressed with the amount of comments on this forum, I'll get into searching the archives later.
Just wanted to say HEY!
Old 10-25-17, 05:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Welcome and congratulations!

Start off with the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ate-links.html
Old 10-26-17, 09:19 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new ride! You'll love it, I'm an LS fan myself, with my eye out for a 2006 LS430 UL but those are getting rarer and rarer....

Originally Posted by 2for1
OK, just bought a 2008 RX with 140k. This is my first post. Coming from a 2002 LS. This is a different beast.
Going through it to bring everything up to standards.
It has the new dash and no outstanding recalls. Tailgate latch cover is melted, ordered one off of eBay for $8
Make sure the recalls for the VVTi oil line and oil cooler lines (if you have it) are done.
Ordered NGK plugs and an accessory belt kit with new pulleys and tensioner that hopefully will fix the annoying whirring sound.
Cleaned the windows with Bon Ami. What a difference that made! New blades all around.
Missing the locking lug key. My son has a removal tool. Ordered a new set of lugs to freshen the wheels up.
Got rid of my locks too, if someone really wants my wheels, take em.....
Going to tackle fluids next. What do you guys do for new transmission fluid? I don't believe in fluid for life.
This is a debate but I use Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic, but my 330 uses a different trans from yours although I have used MaxLife in a 2014 Highlander which should have the same drivetrain. I think your model uses Toyota WS if you want to go with OEM, pick whatever fluid makes you comfortable.
Should I change the diff fluid? What engine oil do you guys run?
Yes change both diff and transfer case. Just did mine, worth it. I used Valvoline 80W90 Gear Oil from Walmart.
Brakes and rotors are new, tires new, everything works. Back up lights need improvement. Any tips?
Throw in some LEDs for the reverse and license plate lights, really helps the backup camera if you have it. I got a LED conversion kit off eBay.
Need to get rear cargo liner, what brand do you like?
OEM Lexus, just better quality than Weathertech in my opinion, and I have Weathertech floor liners in the front and rears plus the Window Visors.
I'm impressed with the amount of comments on this forum, I'll get into searching the archives later.
Just wanted to say HEY!
The following users liked this post:
2for1 (10-26-17)
Old 10-26-17, 09:59 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

I ordered some leds for the reverse from superbrightleds. 85 lumens vs 25 for the OEM bulbs.
Don't have the rear camera so I didn't get the license plate leds.
Looking at leds for the fog lights, but the ones with the resistor are oversized.
Don't know if the standard size leds will trigger a light on the instrument cluster. Anyone know about this?
Yes, an 06 LS ultimate would be nice, but with the air suspension it might be more trouble than it's worth.
The LS was a great road car, but not for twisty 2 lanes. The RX handles much better! Has the tow package too!
Very pleased with the RX so far. Thinking about getting the alternator rebuilt and water pump replaced to pre-empt any issues down the road.
Old 10-26-17, 10:41 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I ordered some leds for the reverse from superbrightleds. 85 lumens vs 25 for the OEM bulbs.
Don't have the rear camera so I didn't get the license plate leds.
Looking at leds for the fog lights, but the ones with the resistor are oversized.
Don't know if the standard size leds will trigger a light on the instrument cluster. Anyone know about this?
LEDs in the tail lights will trigger a dash light as the BECU monitors those bulb currents as I tested this. Reverse and license plate bulbs are not monitored. This is all I know.
Yes, an 06 LS ultimate would be nice, but with the air suspension it might be more trouble than it's worth.
Air suspension is a mess but I have experience with them from BMW's so I'm willing to work with them or swap them out complete for a better air kit.
The LS was a great road car, but not for twisty 2 lanes. The RX handles much better! Has the tow package too!
Very pleased with the RX so far. Thinking about getting the alternator rebuilt and water pump replaced to pre-empt any issues down the road.
I would recommend this highly if the funds allow. Both of these are in bad places for the 2GR-FE engine and fetch a hefty bill which most people experience when they least expect it.
Good luck!
Old 10-27-17, 03:19 AM
romayayo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome. I got a 2007 RX last month, first Lexus ever! We love it!
Me being a car guy for over 15 years, I started messing with the car right away,
wife wasn’t too happy about that. Anyways I did all the leds you can think off.
If you’d like Pm me and I’ll explain what I did, how, which ones to get, which ones to avoid.
Yes, I went through hell and back finding the color that matches, can bus ones, right sizes.
No one on eBay nor amazon know crap! They don’t know the exact sizes. Anyways PM me if you want/help.
Old 10-27-17, 05:49 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Too late for guidance. Placed an order yesterday at superbrightleds. I used their vehicle guide to select reverse, fog, and cargo leds.
I took a chance on the fog lights. Didn't get the can-bus leds as they were oversized. Might have to add the resistors if it triggers a light.
I really don't need to change any of the other lights. I'm OK with the headlights. I would like to get inside the light assembly and clean it up.
But I don't know if that's possible. I really don't like the plastic headlights that Lexus uses as they eventually turn yellow.
Both of my previous models got that way and there was nothing to keep it from happening. Wish they still used glass.
Still debating the rear cargo liner. Is the OEM liner made of rubberized carpet or is it all vinyl like the weathertech?
I'll be carrying car parts from the local junkyard occasionally so I need something that I can clean up from the grease and oil.
Old 10-27-17, 06:46 AM
romayayo
Driver School Candidate

We’ll reverse you can use any T10 but it’ll give you a code on the cluster. I used 921 and they work perfect. Trunk area are 3 28mm leds. The smallest you can find. Took me a while to find them, after keep trying to fit a 35mm in there. As for fogs, I got them on amazon for 30$. No code, no nothing, works perfectly. I did not need a resistor for it, however I did use one for my DRLs/High beams. It was actually called decoder allowing them to run on either of the setting (drl or high beam) without flickering or any codes. That I got from Itoyjdm or ijdmtoy. Hope everything works out fine for you
Old 10-27-17, 06:49 AM
romayayo
Driver School Candidate

As per trunk it’s vinyl, not rubber. Also the headlights, never took these apart BUT did that on my old VW Jetta. Took the light out, place in over for 7-10 mins, take it out, use a knife or a flat head to pry out the glue and bam the lense comes off. Then do as you please, I painted inside yellow. On a Lexus I used mothers headlight restorer and it worked like a champ.
Old 10-27-17, 11:59 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Too late for guidance. Placed an order yesterday at superbrightleds. I used their vehicle guide to select reverse, fog, and cargo leds.
I took a chance on the fog lights. Didn't get the can-bus leds as they were oversized. Might have to add the resistors if it triggers a light.
I really don't need to change any of the other lights. I'm OK with the headlights. I would like to get inside the light assembly and clean it up.
But I don't know if that's possible. I really don't like the plastic headlights that Lexus uses as they eventually turn yellow.
Both of my previous models got that way and there was nothing to keep it from happening. Wish they still used glass.
Still debating the rear cargo liner. Is the OEM liner made of rubberized carpet or is it all vinyl like the weathertech?
I'll be carrying car parts from the local junkyard occasionally so I need something that I can clean up from the grease and oil.
I do not think fogs will trigger a dash light but keep us posted.

Toyota/Lexus does have crappy plastics or clear coat. Nothing a proper restore kit can't fix, I like 3M's sanding kit. Most important is to get either a good clear coat spray or clear vinyl wrap.

OEM trunk mat is vinyl like Weathertech but thicker. I had the weathertech liner for the trunk of my old Highlander and it was flimsy. reason I went with OEM for the RX.
Old 10-27-17, 05:44 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the OEM cargo tray is still available at the dealer?
I know, I can call in the morning! LOL
Found some on eBay for $85 shipped. Looks like it only comes in black.
Not sure of what it exactly looks like as there are a few different ones listed.
Found this part number PT218-48055

As far as the plastic headlights go, mine are not bad at all right now. But I know they will gradually yellow over time and I don't think it can be stopped.
Old 10-27-17, 06:17 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I got lucky and found mine used off craigslist but a quick search yielded this: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...218-48055.html

And yes mine is exact as the pic on the link, it's black which kind of sucks as I have the tan interior, oh well that mat has saved me quite a few times already.
The following users liked this post:
2for1 (10-28-17)
Old 10-27-17, 08:22 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

That's a better price than the one on eBay. I'll see what the dealer can do.
Yeah I got the tan interior also. Black might be better for me with the car parts.
Looking at getting a part time gig delivering Amazon packages also. So blacks probably best.
Old 10-28-17, 06:46 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Called the dealer this morning. Cargo Tray is available for $97 plus tax plus 2 $2 tunnel tolls plus gas.
So I ordered it for $80 shipped from the link you posted. Thanks!
I'll post the results of the LED upgrades when I get them next week.
Old 10-28-17, 09:46 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Nice! Glad the link worked, it's funny it was the first link that popped up when I searched the part #.

Quick Reply: New Guy with 2008 RX350