RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Guy with 2008 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 09:22 AM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Following your post as you're new to this and just dove right in! Lol I'm also a new owner. Picked up an '08 RX350 couple of months ago. It has 185k on it. Been well kept and service by the previous owner. Since then I've replaced all lights interior and exterior license plates to LED. Not sure what I'm going to do with fog and headlights. Put some new Bridgestone tires on... rides like a dream! Ordered a set of front and rear All-weather mats from CariD Weathertech. I prefer to get the cargo cover that you listed since it has Lexus on it. I purchased and installed the rear cargo net. Been to the dealer to get a clean bill of health and oil change while it was in. Other than that everything is in perfect looking and working order. Rides like a dream! I plan on replacing my plugs like you, and also seeing where you go with your transmission fluid change... I could also go for a new set of lugs. I'm thinking just a cheap set of 20 off of eBay wouldn't hurt. I've got some that are actually rusting, so new anything would make it look better. I also had to replace my actual tailgate latch cover as mine was melted... no wait. I tried that step and it was so messed up that I just replaced the switch itself. Found one on eBay for $32 brand new. It unplugs under the cover and routes under the light trim for the rear license plate. Once the cover is removed it just has 4 bolts holding the trim on. Not sure about the rear diff. Brakes were checked and said to all be at 5mm so no need for change at the moment. Look forward to more updates and maybe some pictures of your progress.

-Bryan
Old 11-01-17, 05:07 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr
Following your post as you're new to this and just dove right in! Lol I'm also a new owner. Picked up an '08 RX350 couple of months ago. It has 185k on it. Been well kept and service by the previous owner. Since then I've replaced all lights interior and exterior license plates to LED. Not sure what I'm going to do with fog and headlights. Put some new Bridgestone tires on... rides like a dream! Ordered a set of front and rear All-weather mats from CariD Weathertech. I prefer to get the cargo cover that you listed since it has Lexus on it. I purchased and installed the rear cargo net. Been to the dealer to get a clean bill of health and oil change while it was in. Other than that everything is in perfect looking and working order. Rides like a dream! I plan on replacing my plugs like you, and also seeing where you go with your transmission fluid change... I could also go for a new set of lugs. I'm thinking just a cheap set of 20 off of eBay wouldn't hurt. I've got some that are actually rusting, so new anything would make it look better. I also had to replace my actual tailgate latch cover as mine was melted... no wait. I tried that step and it was so messed up that I just replaced the switch itself. Found one on eBay for $32 brand new. It unplugs under the cover and routes under the light trim for the rear license plate. Once the cover is removed it just has 4 bolts holding the trim on. Not sure about the rear diff. Brakes were checked and said to all be at 5mm so no need for change at the moment. Look forward to more updates and maybe some pictures of your progress.

-Bryan
Hey Bryan, update on the new ride. I installed the new back up lights I got from superbright. They put out a lot more light, but it's not usable to me.The back up light fixtures are designed to throw the major light directly behind the vehicle. So that it lights the area where the camera is focused. Not much to the sides. Great if you have the camera option. But I don't. I tend to look out the side view mirrors to follow the edge of my driveway when I back out. But yes, great increase for light output for camera. I also installed oversize leds in the cargo area. Wow! like daylight in there in the darkness of night. Had to bend the prongs to get them to fit.
I haven't installed the fog lights yet. Gotta get on the ground to do that. Probably this weekend. I'll post the results later. Go to rock auto for the lug nuts. Made by Dorman sold in boxes of 10 for $11.80 per box. Natural finish. Got my plugs, filters, wiper blades, and an accessory belt kit there as well. My pulleys are making a whirring sound so I'm replacing them all including the tensioner and belt. Good price on all that stuff. You have to pull the intake manifold to replace the plugs if you didn't know.
I'll probably have the local Toyota dealer do the trans fluid exchange. Don't want a flush with chemicals as that only causes problems with particles getting loose and clogging things up. I just want fresh fluid. And I want Toyota fluid! OEM only.
I got the latch cover, but I need a flexible or L shaped phillips to do the job. Not enough clearance for a standard screwdriver to get to it.
And yes the led reverse lights do not throw a code, as a previous poster commented about.
My RX has 140K and I hope to get 100k out of it. It does drive and handle very well. Quiet ride too! I'm stuck with the new Hankook tires for a while. But I did some research on them and reviews were good for the model I have. Not so good for other Hankooks. They cost someone $165 each.
Good luck with your new ride!
Old 11-02-17, 09:36 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

My RX does not have the Navigation option. Looking for a place to install my Garmin GPS. No good options to use the standard sticky dash disc. So I bought a bracket from Proclips for $30 that attaches to the left center air vent. Sweet! Perfect placement. Does not attach to the louvers, clips to the vent surround and has some sticky tape to keep it in place. It blocks the upper third of the vent but allows the louvers to function. Just shoot the air downward. Plenty of air comes out still. I attached a ball mount to the bracket with screws and the GPS is nicely situated not in the way of anything. Now I need to figure out how to situate the power cord down to the power port on the floor. Have to research cable management for autos. Any ideas? Don't want it to just hang there.
This Proclip bracket would work great for a cell phone holder as well. Just need to mount a holder to the bracket.
Old 11-02-17, 06:03 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I added some auxiliary under bumper reverse lights to our '07. Pics in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-location.html

photobucket has killed most of my pic links, if that doesn't work let me know and I'll get them to you a different way.
Old 11-02-17, 07:01 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
I added some auxiliary under bumper reverse lights to our '07. Pics in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-location.html

photobucket has killed most of my pic links, if that doesn't work let me know and I'll get them to you a different way.
Great idea. Did you ground the relay and lights to the chassis? What kind of lights are they? I know there's plenty to choose from on the market. Just curious if you selected those for a reason.
Old 11-02-17, 07:09 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Got my Lexus cargo liner today. Not real pleased with how it was shipped. Rolled up tight in plastic. Instructions say to lay it out flat in the heat. Glad it's not January.
Got some bends in it that are almost kinks. It started to lay down after a few hours on the concrete weighed down with some rocks and a chair. Enough to put in the RX. Still has some bends on the edges.Hopefully it gets hot inside tomorrow to finish the job.
Old 11-02-17, 08:59 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2for1
Great idea. Did you ground the relay and lights to the chassis? What kind of lights are they? I know there's plenty to choose from on the market. Just curious if you selected those for a reason.
They were cheap ($15 each) and a known brand (hella) so I had faith they would survive being under the car. Today I would go with a LED version. The lights ground through their mounting bracket and I powered the relays from the cargo power port.

HELLA H15986011 12V/55W 4 3/4" Rubber Close Range Halogen Work Lamp
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-03-17, 06:23 AM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Got my Lexus cargo liner today. Not real pleased with how it was shipped. Rolled up tight in plastic. Instructions say to lay it out flat in the heat. Glad it's not January.
Got some bends in it that are almost kinks. It started to lay down after a few hours on the concrete weighed down with some rocks and a chair. Enough to put in the RX. Still has some bends on the edges.Hopefully it gets hot inside tomorrow to finish the job.
Could you remind me which one you ordered? Is it the link that someone provided, the one with Lexus in the liner?

I recently with through that with my mats when I got them in... Out on the porch they went for the remainder of the day until they laid down.
Old 11-03-17, 11:42 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Could you remind me which one you ordered? Is it the link that someone provided, the one with Lexus in the liner?

I recently with through that with my mats when I got them in... Out on the porch they went for the remainder of the day until they laid down.
Yes, it was the OEM lexus liner
The following users liked this post:
bwhitsonjr (11-06-17)
Old 11-03-17, 12:23 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Hit it with a heat gun if you have one. This happened to me when I got my old Highlander rear seat liners as it was folded, heat gun did the trick.
The following users liked this post:
bwhitsonjr (11-06-17)
Old 11-10-17, 11:04 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Checked a couple more items off the list today. Put the RX in the shop today to have the following done:
Alternator rebuilt (bearings, brushes, diode pack), 2 idler pulleys, belt tensioner with pulley, and belt replaced.
Removed 4 locking lugs (no lug key when I bought the RX) and other lugs replaced with 20 new lugs.
$460 total including all parts. Not too terrible considering the AC compressor had to be loosened and pulled out of the way for the tensioner to be replaced.
End result = no more whirring noise (fairly loud) and hopefully I'll never have to deal with it again. Came with 12 month warranty on alternator and labor.
Shout out to Browning's Alternator service in Va Beach, Va. Been doing business with them for many years
Now I need to tackle the fog light replacement!
Old 11-12-17, 06:01 AM
kam1996
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if VVT-i line and Oil line issues affect the 2009 rx350 model?

Do these issues not affect 2010+ model year?
Old 11-13-17, 11:22 AM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Checked a couple more items off the list today. Put the RX in the shop today to have the following done:
Alternator rebuilt (bearings, brushes, diode pack), 2 idler pulleys, belt tensioner with pulley, and belt replaced.
Removed 4 locking lugs (no lug key when I bought the RX) and other lugs replaced with 20 new lugs.
$460 total including all parts. Not too terrible considering the AC compressor had to be loosened and pulled out of the way for the tensioner to be replaced.
End result = no more whirring noise (fairly loud) and hopefully I'll never have to deal with it again. Came with 12 month warranty on alternator and labor.
Shout out to Browning's Alternator service in Va Beach, Va. Been doing business with them for many years
Now I need to tackle the fog light replacement!
That sounds like a very fair price for the labor! I've been thinking about doing a pulley myself. Been having a similar noise... not sure what the whirring noise sounds like. Mine actually sounds like a worn belt. Going to try that first. If it's not that, then it's probably just one pulley. Now has anyone experienced the need to replace their timing chain cover seal? It was a recommended to me last I was in. To the tune of just show of $4k. I'm sure it's a 3 day job. Something that an experienced Tech has to do, not just some oil changer tech. I've heard the engine has to be pulled for the job. Crazy! Anywho... the leak doesn't seem to really put any oil out, per se, I think it's more of a seepage. Just curious if any of you other guys have run across this. Again.. I've got 186k. Probably something that has to be done at some time? Thanks for the update 2for1
Old 11-14-17, 09:28 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

... Now has anyone experienced the need to replace their timing chain cover seal? It was a recommended to me last I was in. To the tune of just show of $4k. I'm sure it's a 3 day job. Something that an experienced Tech has to do, not just some oil changer tech. I've heard the engine has to be pulled for the job. Crazy! Anywho... the leak doesn't seem to really put any oil out, per se, I think it's more of a seepage. Just curious if any of you other guys have run across this. Again.. I've got 186k. Probably something that has to be done at some time? Thanks for the update 2for1
Our '07 had that timing cover seal leak. From what I recall one concern with that leak is if the oil drips on the control arm bushings.
Old 11-15-17, 10:58 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by kam1996
Does anyone know if VVT-i line and Oil line issues affect the 2009 rx350 model?

Do these issues not affect 2010+ model year?
The oil cooler line affects the 2007 to 2011 RX350 and the 2010 and 2011 RX450. This is per service bulletin L-SB-0154-11.

Don't have info on the VVTI.

Quick Reply: New Guy with 2008 RX350