RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Guy with 2008 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 08:31 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, check one off the list today. Had the transmission fluid exchanged at the Toyota dealer today.
Did not use any chemicals, just fluid.
Took 12 quarts of World Standard fluid to do the job. Total cost $280.
Don't know if it needed it, but I feel better. I don't believe in lifetime trans fluid.
Now I need to find the loose exterior item that makes a "slapping" noise with speeds above 70.
Old 12-30-17, 10:53 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2for1
OK, check one off the list today. Had the transmission fluid exchanged at the Toyota dealer today.
Did not use any chemicals, just fluid.
Took 12 quarts of World Standard fluid to do the job. Total cost $280.
Don't know if it needed it, but I feel better. I don't believe in lifetime trans fluid.
Now I need to find the loose exterior item that makes a "slapping" noise with speeds above 70.
I had the slapping noise when I bought mine too. Turned out to be gas tank plastic shield. Search the forums for it and google it. Lexus also has a TSB for it where they put an updated part on for 200$, but I used foam weatherstrip on mine and noise gone. To check, lay under driver side between driver side rear passenger door and rear axle. You'll see a large black plastic shield covering gas tank. Look for play in the front of it. That part slaps the metal above it at speeds over 65mph or so. You can mimic it with your hand. To test mine I crammed a sponge between cover and undercarriage and drove, no more slap noise. Then I bought thick foam weatherstrip as others suggested and applied it. No more noise.
The following users liked this post:
2for1 (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 07:05 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
I had the slapping noise when I bought mine too. Turned out to be gas tank plastic shield. Search the forums for it and google it. Lexus also has a TSB for it where they put an updated part on for 200$, but I used foam weatherstrip on mine and noise gone. To check, lay under driver side between driver side rear passenger door and rear axle. You'll see a large black plastic shield covering gas tank. Look for play in the front of it. That part slaps the metal above it at speeds over 65mph or so. You can mimic it with your hand. To test mine I crammed a sponge between cover and undercarriage and drove, no more slap noise. Then I bought thick foam weatherstrip as others suggested and applied it. No more noise.
Thanks, good info. Saw where others had the same problem. Sounds exactly like my issue.
Can't see spending $150 on the part. One owner attached a piece of hose to the leading edge.
Most did the foam trick like you mentioned. I'll get under there when it gets a little warmer here and see if it's the cause.
Old 01-03-18, 04:21 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Looks like changing the trans fluid did some good. Prior to the change, the trans would slip slightly when in 1st gear and coasting to a stop
and then giving it the gas before coming to a complete stop. RPM's would go up and then it would catch and go. Not terrible, but noticeable.
Now, it no longer does it. Trans feels engaged at all times. No slip. Money well spent!
Old 01-03-18, 06:50 PM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Awesome to hear 2for1 !!!

I've experienced this same sort of search or slip for first gear when turning a corner or curve when having to slow down enough for it to down shift. My wife, the daily driver, acts like she doesn't know what I'm talking about... (women) lol

I would slow down enough to turn the corner and it would drop all the way to 1st and then jumped, not hard or anything, and almost immediately to 2nd gear. Like to me it wasn't slow enough to shift to 1st, it should stay in 2nd gear while I make the turn.

Needless to say you have excited me about getting my fluid flushed from my local Toyota dealer. I'm sure it will come out much cheaper than the 1 1/2 hr travel to the nearest Lexus dealer. In the event that they do it. I guess all can decide not to do it. I've also been looking into doing the fluid change myself, but even more so... replacing the filter element. It looks like a drain and drop the pain, Replaced the filter, reinstall the pan with new gasket and refill with fluid. Plus this gives me a good idea of what might be on the magnet and what the filter looks like. If anyone can point in the direction of that, I would appreciate it. In the mean time I'm going to reach out to my Toyota dealer and see if they would do it. Thanks for the update 2for1
Old 01-03-18, 07:49 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr
Awesome to hear 2for1 !!!

I've experienced this same sort of search or slip for first gear when turning a corner or curve when having to slow down enough for it to down shift. My wife, the daily driver, acts like she doesn't know what I'm talking about... (women) lol

I would slow down enough to turn the corner and it would drop all the way to 1st and then jumped, not hard or anything, and almost immediately to 2nd gear. Like to me it wasn't slow enough to shift to 1st, it should stay in 2nd gear while I make the turn.

Needless to say you have excited me about getting my fluid flushed from my local Toyota dealer. I'm sure it will come out much cheaper than the 1 1/2 hr travel to the nearest Lexus dealer. In the event that they do it. I guess all can decide not to do it. I've also been looking into doing the fluid change myself, but even more so... replacing the filter element. It looks like a drain and drop the pain, Replaced the filter, reinstall the pan with new gasket and refill with fluid. Plus this gives me a good idea of what might be on the magnet and what the filter looks like. If anyone can point in the direction of that, I would appreciate it. In the mean time I'm going to reach out to my Toyota dealer and see if they would do it. Thanks for the update 2for1
Yes, that sounds exactly like the issue I had. I had to feather the gas to avoid a bump when it finally grabbed the gear. Feels great now.
Only way to replace ALL the fluid is to have it hooked up to the flush machine that transfers the old fluid out and the new fluid in.
Looks like they used an extra amount to do the job thoroughly. Don't think the tranny holds 12 qts. Don't let them use the chemicals that come with the flush.
Asking for problems with loose particles. You just need fresh fluid.
How many miles on your RX? I'm at 142k
Dropping the pan and re-filling it only gets about 1/3 of the total amount in the tranny. But that does get you a new filter and a look see into the pan.
Ideally one should flush it and then replace the filter. Maybe one day I'll get to the filter replacement.
Old 01-03-18, 09:12 PM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that sounds exactly like the issue I had. I had to feather the gas to avoid a bump when it finally grabbed the gear. Feels great now.
Only way to replace ALL the fluid is to have it hooked up to the flush machine that transfers the old fluid out and the new fluid in.
Looks like they used an extra amount to do the job thoroughly. Don't think the tranny holds 12 qts. Don't let them use the chemicals that come with the flush.
Asking for problems with loose particles. You just need fresh fluid.
How many miles on your RX? I'm at 142k
Dropping the pan and re-filling it only gets about 1/3 of the total amount in the tranny. But that does get you a new filter and a look see into the pan.
Ideally one should flush it and then replace the filter. Maybe one day I'll get to the filter replacement.
I just turned 190k. I finally decided to register under the owners portal and boy am I glad I did! I had no idea the wealth of information it holds. Not to mention the previous owner, 1-owner, had it serviced to the “T” at the local Lexus dealer every 5k! Talk about a good record. I know what was done and when! He’s a mechanical engineer, and after looking it over I had no qualms about buying it. I thought it was a good deal at $6k. Considering mechanical condition first, and mileage later.I might ask how much for them to drop pan and replace filter and then refill with fluid. I can always do a drain and refill later. Or was that a flush you had done?
Old 01-04-18, 04:02 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr
I might ask how much for them to drop pan and replace filter and then refill with fluid. I can always do a drain and refill later. Or was that a flush you had done?
It was the flush that I had done, minus the chemicals. Same price. Price is more if it takes World Standard fluid. $10 per qt.
This morning I got my first chance to see how well it performs in the snow. Had to take my wife to work during this storm going up the east coast.
About 6 inches of fresh snow. It did fantastic! Nice ride through the powder. Saw several front wheel drive vehicles stuck on the side of the road.
Wish it had a little more ground clearance though. If it was 8 inches there would be problems in the ruts. Luckily we don't normally get that much around here.
I could hear that flapping noise as it went over the deeper stuff. So it's definitely coming from under the vehicle.
Old 02-14-18, 10:17 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, good info. Saw where others had the same problem. Sounds exactly like my issue.
Can't see spending $150 on the part. One owner attached a piece of hose to the leading edge.
Most did the foam trick like you mentioned. I'll get under there when it gets a little warmer here and see if it's the cause.
Finally got the RX up on a lift to check the plastic cover over the fuel tank. Saw where it was flapping and contacting the underside surface.
It was also contacting a cable on the other side. Poorly engineered in my opinion.
I removed it and cut about 3 inches off of the leading edge, and cut a large notch out where it was hitting the cable.Problem fixed!

Found a problem with the air filter box. Another poorly designed item. The previous owner failed to close the box properly when changing the air filter
and the back side was left open. Bolt would not engage properly. I tried to engage it and could not do it either. I had to remove the rubber boot entirely, secure the box,
and then squeeze the boot back into place. I can't figure how the box can be secured without doing this.

Looking at doing a fluid exchange on the power steering system next. Any thoughts?
Old 02-14-18, 12:51 PM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if you're talking about the actual air box or what?

I actually had an issue with mine as well. The two screws that secure the box, the drivers side was missing one. The outside one. I ordered a new one from local Toyota dealer and took care of that.

Forgot to tell you I also got a trans flush on my RX about 3 weeks ago and the shifting has been ultra smooth. I completely forgot to ask them to not use the chemicals. Ahhhhh!

I think I'll be ok though.

Let me know what you decide to do on your power steering system!
Mine needs more than a fluid exchange. Last during the oil change and trans flush they found the power steering hose leaking... Only $900 to replace. And they also found the bellow or boot on the inner tie rod torn and leaking power steering fluid so I also need a new rack.... Only $1701! lol But they can also just rebuild it for $763

Looks like I'll be grabbing a reman as well as a new hose and paying someone labor to replace those parts.

Good luck!