RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

diy Coolant flush - question / suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 07:49 PM
Ron81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diy Coolant flush - question / suggestions needed

Hi question on 2004 rx 330 coolant flush, radiator is not taking full 2.5 gallon of coolant after flush. Wondering what needs to be done.

I drained the old coolant and then usex distilled water to do 2 more flushes. All orange coolant is gone. In the Last flush I actually let it drain. Whole night with radiator cap open. Then I started the car in the morning and little bit more came out.

then I started putting new green coolant (premixed ) and it should use around 2.5 gallon of coolant but It was full in about 1.25 gallon only. I started the car for about 30 minures with heat on, tried pushing both hoses connected to the radiator, it helped little bit but didn't make much room. In fact I noticed the coolant got pretty hot and I could see it steaming from the funnel I was using to pour coolant. While the temperature niddle in tge dash was at normal level (little below the mid point in the gauge), is it normal ?

Have anyone faced same issue or have any suggestions on how to put the required 2.5 gallon coolant ?
Old 06-23-17, 08:29 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Where are you draining it? There should be two plugs, one at the bottom of the radiator and one on the engine block. Both will get you most of the fluid out.

Also are you sure you are using the right coolant? My 2005 takes Toyota pink and most alternatives for Toyota's coolant is usually red as I've never seen a suitable green one myself uses on Toyotas in a long time.
Old 06-23-17, 08:56 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

RX330 total coolant capacity is 10.3 quarts. So, 5ish quarts in radiator sounds about right. The rest is in the engine block as Lexuswiz mentioned. Read through the DIY sticky at top of forum for how to access your engine drain plugs (there are 2, front and rear banks) to get the rest of it out. I know some of the green coolants say they will work in all types, but I'd also recommend a red or pink Toyota compatible coolant. Toyota stuff is costly, but worth it IMO. Local auto parts have comparable types cheaper that are red/pink such as Zerex Asian.
Old 06-24-17, 09:11 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron81
Have anyone faced same issue or have any suggestions on how to put the required 2.5 gallon coolant ?
Yes, faced the same issue and also used repeated distilled water fills (with engine starts inbetween) to flush out ofd coolant.

Simple solution to your problem would have been to add 1.25 gallons of undiluted coolant and then top off with distilled water. Run engine and try to get as much air out as possible like you did. Also replace coolant reservoir with diluted 50/50 coolant.
Then close it up and watch temp gauge and the coolant reservoir for the next few days. The system can push air into reservoir and draw coolant from there. Refill reservoir with distilled water as needed.
Your system will either already be at 50/50 or be slightly higher (which is harmless) and go toward 50/50.

Last, I also agree with using Toyota coolant rather than the green, yellow, or orange stuff.

Last edited by mylexbaby; 06-24-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 09:12 AM
Ron81
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for quick reply, so I have been draining only from the radiator so far, I looked at the sticky links and looks like its almost impossible to access the rear drain plug ...
could you suggest if there might be more information on how to access it or any other way to drain all the coolant out ?

I guess even the inclined car position won't help to remove all the coolant from radiator drain plug.
Old 06-24-17, 08:23 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

2006 RX330 AWD 215K km Coolant Radiator Drain and Fill every 50K km, Never had an issue.

Radiator Drain

Front Engine Block Drain Plug

Rear Engine Block Drain Plug, I can live without open it.

Toyota Concentrated Coolant, 50/50 with Distilled Water I Use.

Proper Bleeding.

Forgot how much drained, but measure out and pour in exact the same amount should be perfect safe so far.

All done!
The following users liked this post:
JSNash (06-08-20)
Old 06-24-17, 08:48 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice write up and pics from 5W40. Only thing I'd add is on mine (350) with the 2gr, there is a bleeder valve on top of engine near the first coil on bank 2, and one on the radiator on passenger side that look similar to the engine drain plugs only with a center hole in the nut rather than an extension to accept tubing. After coolant drain and fill, these can be opened gently; not completely unthreaded and it will burp the air out. Much easier to bleed, no squeezing hoses or leaving rad cap open. 3uz motor most likely will have them too.
Old 06-24-17, 11:10 PM
Ron81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5W40
2006 RX330 AWD 215K km Coolant Radiator Drain and Fill every 50K km, Never had an issue.

Radiator Drain

Front Engine Block Drain Plug

Rear Engine Block Drain Plug, I can live without open it.

Toyota Concentrated Coolant, 50/50 with Distilled Water I Use.

Proper Bleeding.

Forgot how much drained, but measure out and pour in exact the same amount should be perfect safe so far.

All done!
this is great, thanks for sharing, I am still curious how much old coolant still might still be left inside after draining from radiator and front engine drain plug.

I measured in radiator about 1.25 gallon, so rest about 1 gallon should be in the engine , any guess how much you have to pour after draining from radiator and front engine.

for front engine drain, both bottom plastic cover needs to be removed correct?
Old 06-25-17, 04:33 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron81
this is great, thanks for sharing, I am still curious how much old coolant still might still be left inside after draining from radiator and front engine drain plug.

I measured in radiator about 1.25 gallon, so rest about 1 gallon should be in the engine , any guess how much you have to pour after draining from radiator and front engine.

for front engine drain, both bottom plastic cover needs to be removed correct?
I did this two years ago so can't remember exactly how much drained, but in and out are almost perfect match.

Only front one plastic cover need to be removed like change oil filter if my memory serves well.