RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Owner - 2005 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 05:36 PM
1lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - 2005 RX330

Hi everyone,

Been surfing on this site for a few weeks now. Finally purchased a RX330 today.
2005 RX330 - AWD
Millennium Sliver
Interior - I am still trying to figure out if its grey or beige, can't tell its kinda dirty at the moment (any way to look up a code to figure this out?)
95,000 miles (90k maintenance not done)

This is my first Lexus, but have owned plenty of Toyotas and Hondas.
Looking forward to being part of this forum, already read quite a few interesting and helpful posts.

Any suggestions on what do first?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-17, 04:52 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lexus
Hi everyone,

2005 RX330 - AWD
Millennium Sliver
Interior - I am still trying to figure out if its grey or beige, can't tell its kinda dirty at the moment (any way to look up a code to figure this out?)

Looking forward to being part of this forum, already read quite a few interesting and helpful posts.

Thanks.
Welcome, I would recommend to start with a deep clean, not recognizing the color of the interior can't be too good.
Screenshot shows were you can find your Vin # from the RX330 Owner's Manual.
Once you have your Vin #, you can look up the specifications, equipment & options of your RX330 with the CL Vin Decoder here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Attached Thumbnails New Owner - 2005 RX330-capture.png  
Old 02-11-17, 06:50 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
Welcome, I would recommend to start with a deep clean, not recognizing the color of the interior can't be too good.
Screenshot shows were you can find your Vin # from the RX330 Owner's Manual.
Once you have your Vin #, you can look up the specifications, equipment & options of your RX330 with the CL Vin Decoder here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Sadly, the VIN decoder isn't exactly accurate or specific. It's saying mine is equipped with air suspension... it's not. When looking at colors, it just lists all available colors, nothing specific. Pricing isn't specific, either, as it's only showing the base prices for AWD and FWD before options are added.

Autobytel has a vehicle build tool, which seems pretty close to being correct when configuring the options. The only error I found is it includes the Thundercloud package in the overview when selecting the basic 18" wheels, but the price doesn't reflect that package added... odd. If it's accurate, it's showing mine had an MSRP of $44,321 and invoice price of $38,729. I selected the rear seat DVD player option, but the Lexus owner's site shows it was dealer installed when purchased new. I'm not sure if the pricing is the same, or if they're all dealer added.

http://www.autobytel.com/lexus/rx-330/
Old 02-11-17, 10:27 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Sadly, the VIN decoder isn't exactly accurate or specific. It's saying mine is equipped with air suspension... it's not. When looking at colors, it just lists all available colors, nothing specific. Pricing isn't specific, either, as it's only showing the base prices for AWD and FWD before options are added.

Autobytel has a vehicle build tool, which seems pretty close to being correct when configuring the options. The only error I found is it includes the Thundercloud package in the overview when selecting the basic 18" wheels, but the price doesn't reflect that package added... odd. If it's accurate, it's showing mine had an MSRP of $44,321 and invoice price of $38,729. I selected the rear seat DVD player option, but the Lexus owner's site shows it was dealer installed when purchased new. I'm not sure if the pricing is the same, or if they're all dealer added.

http://www.autobytel.com/lexus/rx-330/
or as another option, contact Lexus directly via email including your Vin # requesting detailed information for your Lexus, I received a reply the same day with the exact details for my 2005 RX330 AWD.
Lexus Email: Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com
Old 02-11-17, 04:30 PM
1lexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

I am actually going to the Lexus dealership this week to see how the experience is, they have a special on a detailing package that I am going to try out.

I'll ask them about the 90k service and see how much they charge.

So far my favorite things about the car are:

Automatic Hatch
Automatic Telescoping Steering Wheel
Smooth ride

I might get some weathertech laser fit floor liners, but not sure if I really need them here in the Bay Area, even though its been raining like crazy.
Old 02-11-17, 04:35 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!

Get the digital fit liners and window visors. Worth every penny. You may not get much snow and salt in the Bay Area but rain, mud, sand, and debris are found across the US. Mine get just as dirty in the summer as the winter. Just got a RX330 myself not too long ago and before installing the liners, gave the carpet a good cleaning and a lot of debris and junk along with a lot of salt crust came out.....
Old 08-04-17, 11:29 AM
MrLexus97
Driver School Candidate

Default Deciding on being an owner

Hey! I really appreciate the look on the rx330 and could save up for it but I also can afford the 330 and be able to get it soon. I'm 19(soon to be 20 on the 13th) and at the moment I really just want a reliable, quality car. I currently have a 98 Honda Prelude which is my baby but now I'm wanting something more spacious. Should I go for the RX 300 for now then switch over to the 330 or 350 or just play the patient game and get something I would want more. I've read that they are fairly the same but the turning radius is the big difference.
p.s the price are a lot cheaper in 2017 for a 99-03
Old 08-04-17, 05:36 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrLexus97
Hey! I really appreciate the look on the rx330 and could save up for it but I also can afford the 330 and be able to get it soon. I'm 19(soon to be 20 on the 13th) and at the moment I really just want a reliable, quality car. I currently have a 98 Honda Prelude which is my baby but now I'm wanting something more spacious. Should I go for the RX 300 for now then switch over to the 330 or 350 or just play the patient game and get something I would want more. I've read that they are fairly the same but the turning radius is the big difference.
For a 20 year-old, I would stay away from Lexus and stick to Toyota, especially their smaller lines of cars ex. corolla or RAV4. Not saying you can't or shouldn't buy a Lexus but it's just impractical, you want a reliable car and assuming you're like most 20 Y/O's, an affordable car. Buying the car is one issue, maintaining it is a different story. I only put 93 octane in my Lexus vs. junk for my Toyota's, and the difference is unreal. I used to have a Highlander before my 330 and I've noticed parts are much cheaper (duh). At the age of most 350's and 330's of this gen, it's due for suspension and timing which is a very hefty bill.

If you're still willing to try Lexus, stick to a 2004-2009 preferably the later years within this generation. Every single RX300 I've known owned by family or friends have blown out the transmission which apparently is a common issue with that generation.
Old 08-04-17, 09:17 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lexus
Hi everyone,

2005 RX330 - AWD
Millennium Sliver

Thanks.
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. First thing to do IMO is to register your RX on the official Lexus website here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
They will then know you are the owner and contact you if needed and you will be able to see under the service tab any and every time your RX was at a Lexus dealer and all the maintenance they've performed on it. I bought mine, an 07 RX350 as a very nice condition used car. Once I registered mine on the owners site, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the maintenance done by the prior owner such as replacement of all the coil packs and plugs, new rack, and lots of fluid changes.
Old 08-07-17, 05:44 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I only put 93 octane in my Lexus vs. junk for my Toyota's
<93 is not junk. A vehicle needs the fuel it is designed for. 93 won't benefit a vehicle designed for 87, for example. A vehicle designed for high octane may be able to temporarily run on lower octane but may need to generally stick with higher octane. Don't conflate higher octane with better.
Old 08-07-17, 07:40 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by takeshi74
<93 is not junk. A vehicle needs the fuel it is designed for. 93 won't benefit a vehicle designed for 87, for example. A vehicle designed for high octane may be able to temporarily run on lower octane but may need to generally stick with higher octane. Don't conflate higher octane with better.
You are right, I should have been more clear. What I mean by junk is sometimes I don't pump at top tier rated gas stations, regardless if its 93, 89, or 87 for my Toyota's just whatever is cheapest. I will only pump at a Top Tier rated station for my Lexus as that was a heavy investment I'm not willing to gamble with.

Believe it or not, US regulation requires all cars to be able to run on 87 regardless of what the manufacture recommends. Is that good or bad? I'll leave that to the owner to decide. I would never put 87 in a turbo charged car but I've seen it done.
Old 08-12-17, 03:10 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLexus97
Lexus are reliable - no doubt about that. But bear in mind that maintenance costs can be on par with a new Lexus even if you get it serviced at a Toyota Dealership. Asides from regular oil and filter changes (which runs $80-$130), a leaking power steering system can set you back $600. A leaking radiator $700 and brake pad and caliper replacements can range from $600-$1000 every 40-50k miles. Timing belt and water pump changes can cost $1400. These are all going to be issues on a 10+ year old RX330.

If you're mechanically inclined - you may be able to DIY on the maintenance, or find an indy garage (not a dealership) that charges less - though they may screw things up badly as well.

Think about the maintenance cost before going out and spending $$$ on a 10 year old Lexus. A toyota camry or a honda civic may not be as baller as a Lexus, but maintenance is straightfoward, parts are cheap, and most shops can handle them.
Old 11-25-17, 10:36 AM
umerjaved
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation radiator leak

hello everybody im new here just bought a lexus rx 330 awd couple of months ago has a bit of high mileage on my suv but the condition is overall very good.I just noticed that i have a coolant leak on the floor and when the car is running on the passenger side where the belts are i wasn't sure if it was my radiator or something else i could really use some help over here also this morning i was checking if the coolant levels were low therefore the plastic tank was completely empty and there a white crystal type stuff of the side body of the radiator so i dont know if its the hoses or the radiator itself any suggestions?????