RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Car Keeps forgetting Keys...help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 11:18 AM
Savnout
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key Transponder woes

Ugh...all was well...drove my 2004 RX330 to the store. Shut down engine opened up the door and got out to hear the faint 'Ding..ding..ding' thought maybe my wife left the lights on or something...but all was well, light set to Auto, so I turned it to off. Keys were in my hand so I just shut door and went in to buy smokes.

I come out and open door and turn key to just listen to engine turn over. Buttons on remote don't work so I figured somehow the key became 'unmarried' from car and lost programming for fob somehow.

Tried the extremely lenghty key reprogramming procedure with no luck. Car won't start and remote won't lock doors. Got my wife to bring her original key and same result...engine just turns over fob won't work.

Gonna head back to car in a min with laptop and try techstream and see if I can reset the transponder just to get the car to start and get home.

Any thoughts? Did my transponder just take a crap? How much will this cost at dealer?...ugh

Sav

Last edited by Savnout; 07-09-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 09:01 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder what happened. When I bought my RX used, it only came with one Lexus OEM key.

So I've had to run thru the fun programming sequence...tried an ebay knock off keys, etc.

this is what worked for the transponder:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have mine some where in my garage, and I would send it to you, but if you have prime you would probably get it faster.

programming the windows is a what the long open/close door process does. It worked for me, more than once.

But to reprogram the transponder, you need this $15 gem on amazon.com. took less then 5 min. if you scroll down the directions on one the page, in the details section.
Old 07-09-16, 09:27 PM
Savnout
Driver

Well, it was weird. Went out to car and brought laptop with techsteam on it. Plugged into car and scanned and went under immobilizer and it had a error code not being able to communicate with immobilizer. Tried register key and had a problemail. Said car battery was below 8 volts..which might have been true because of the 20 or so attempts to start car.

Anyway, I unplugged negative wire from batter to clear out ECU and all was good. Remotes worked locking car and car started right up. Not sure what happened but simply resetting the computer solved the glitch.

Save
Old 07-11-16, 05:29 AM
Savnout
Driver

Default Car Keeps forgetting Keys...help...

Well, a few days ago I had the problem of the car forgot both keys we have for the car. Unplugged battery to clear ECU and all was well over the weekend. Today my wife took car to work and when she got out of the car she heard the dreaded 'Ding..ding...ding..' of the car (like when you leave the key in the ignition or the lights on). Same thing happened last time.

Before I unplugged battery cable I tried to scan with Techstream and the car was saying 'Unable to communicate with immobiliser' when I ran a diagnostic check under immobiliser, but check engine light was NOT on. Tried to reprogram Transponder but was having problems communicating with ECU (said my battery was below 8v possible). That's when I just unplugged negative wire off of battery for 10 seconds and it solved the problem. I figured that I ran battery down just turning key and listening to engine turn over but not fire up.

Drove it a few times over weekend with no problem...now same thing is happening again.

We bought the car used and only came with one original Lexus key...I bought one off of eBay months ago and progtammed it myself and it's been fine til now.

Any thoughts?

Sav
Old 07-11-16, 12:28 PM
Savnout
Driver

Ok, so UPDATE...she gets out of work and the car starts. Still makes the lights on chime when keys removed like before but engine STARTS.. security light does not flash. So I'm guessing I have no security but the car starts. I'm gonna try to use techstream and see if I can play with immobiliser' functions

Sav
Old 07-11-16, 04:04 PM
Savnout
Driver

I think my security system is malfunctioning. No codes under techstream, but when try to go into the Immobiliser section and try to register a key it says 'Unable to communicate with system's then asks if voltage is under 8v and make sure key is in the ON position.

I was going to try to unregister all the keys and start over. Not sure if this key that came with the car is the master. Techstream says the master is registered but the sub is not.

When I go into the security system utility all I can do is make the security light blink.

So now I'm about to unplug battery again and see if all is well for a few days. I hate not being able to lock with remote.
Old 07-11-16, 04:17 PM
Savnout
Driver

Well, I unplugged battery and all seems to be well again. Remotes on both keys lock and unlock car and when I pull key out of ignition no annoying chime, and the security light blinks and goes solid when locked with key remote. Weird.

I'll post again (which I think it will)

Sav
Old 07-11-16, 04:27 PM
crimedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck. That would be pretty annoying.
Old 07-11-16, 05:23 PM
Savnout
Driver

Well, I think I found out what the problem was. Loose positive battery terminal. I had to buy a couple shims for the posts...but I think that might have been the problem with this weird security problem error. Would also explain the low battery indicator I was getting last month, I had tightened the terminal down, but it wasn't right because the post was just not quite thick enough...at the time I just tightened and spun terminal around til it was as snug as it would go..but must have loosened enough to kill the security system.

We shall see...

Sav
Old 07-12-16, 03:00 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

how old is your battery? I would check that first...
Old 07-12-16, 04:11 PM
Savnout
Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
how old is your battery? I would check that first...

1yr old...but the terminals not getting tight was the problem I think....been a couple days and no problems yet.

Keeping fingers crossed

Sav
Old 07-14-16, 05:14 PM
Savnout
Driver

Default Help please. Transponder or security system trouble

Well, I'm trying to get some help here from one of the mechanics or other users here. I had a thread going about my 2004 RX 330 keeps forgetting my keys but didn't get much help.

First time this happened I went to store and turned car off and noticed when I opened the door...there was a chime like when you leave your lights on...or keys in the ignition. Well, that time the car would NOT start, just kept turning over, so I figured the transponder in key must be going bad.
Had my wife bring her keys out and still no luck starting the car. Remote won't lock the doors or anything, no security light flashing either.

Well, I brought laptop out to car and scanned with TechStream and had a error of 'No communication with Transponder'. I tried to Reset transponder or erase keys with no luck..no communication.

I unplugged battery for 1 min and all was well. Remote locked and unlocked doors. No more chime. All was well for 2 days. Then it did it again, EXCEPT that the keys would start the car. Just not lock or unlock with FOB.

Unplugged battery to clear out the cars computer and all was well. Then tried to communicate with the transponder with TechStream with NO luck. Keeps saying 'Battery may be below 8v' or that the transponder is bad.

The car is fine...for 2 days and the same thing happens. Chime after removing keys and opening door....no remote lock or unlock. I believe the Panic button worked one time. No security light beeping. Have to unplug battery and all is well...for 2 days.

Any ideas? I thouggt it was a loose connection with battery...fixed that with some shims but that didn't solve the problem. Help please. Thanks

Sav
Old 07-15-16, 11:09 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you unplug your car battery for 1 minute, that doesn't clear the ECU. It's more like 10 minutes and you have to hit the brake pedal a couple of times or the door.
Maybe you should change the battery in the key itself. and charge up the car battery on the trickle charger.
Old 07-15-16, 08:36 PM
Savnout
Driver

Originally Posted by Savnout
1yr old...but the terminals not getting tight was the problem I think....been a couple days and no problems yet.

Keeping fingers crossed

Sav
Update : fix lasted a whole 2 days...new thread started...any suggestions would GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old 07-15-16, 08:42 PM
Savnout
Driver

Originally Posted by numbafree
If you unplug your car battery for 1 minute, that doesn't clear the ECU. It's more like 10 minutes and you have to hit the brake pedal a couple of times or the door.
Maybe you should change the battery in the key itself. and charge up the car battery on the trickle charger.
Hmm...I'm only unplugging it for about 30 seconds...and everything in ECU is cleared out..I have to reprogram windows and the engine almost dies out til I run it a few miles cause I need to change the plugs. I don't have any error codes when I read with techstream...I even cleared codes that weren't there.

It happened the first time with my eBay key...and I couldn't start it either. But the other 2 times it happened with my wife's original key that came with car. But when she trips the error, the car will start....it just thinks the key is still in the ignition and won't lock.

Sav

Quick Reply: Car Keeps forgetting Keys...help...