RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Aftermarket key will not program

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 04:58 PM
huskres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket key will not program

I just purchased a 2004 rx330. I purchased a set of keys off amazon and tried to program them using Techstream. It will not allow me what so ever to program. it always gets to programming the key step and then says error between key and ecu. I have programmed tons of toyota keys using techstream and never had any issue with aftermarket keys so I bought another set from another vendor and they will not program either. I was able to manually program the remote for keyless entry so they will communicate with the car and are the right FCC ID number. I used to be a service advisor at Toyota so I do know more than the average person when it comes to these.

Also the power window master switch will not roll down the drivers side rear window or do auto for the drivers window. I have tried every combination to reset (we used to do them on the driver sometimes) and it still wont work. Drivers and drivers rear window buttons are flashing.

thanks for any help
Old 03-23-16, 09:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you try the manual way of programming the key? Using the door open method?
Old 03-23-16, 09:23 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

If you search, quite a few posts...

Here's one...

Programming Procedure #21485
1. Drivers door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
2. Within 5 seconds insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
3. Within 40 seconds close and open driver's door twice.
4. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
5. Within 40 seconds close and open driver's door twice.
6. Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver's door.
7. Switch ignition on and off,
a) Once to program a remote transmitter code while retaining the original codes.
b) Twice to program a remote transmitter code while erasing the original codes.
c) Three times to check how many remote transmitters are currently registered.
d) Five times to erase all registered codes.
8. Remove key from ignition switch.
9. System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
10. Within 40 seconds press and hold lock and unlock key remote transmitter buttons, together, for 1.5 seconds.
11. Within 3 seconds press any key remote transmitter button.
12. System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration, or twice to indicate registration has failed.
13. Within 40 seconds repeat steps 11 and 12 to program remaining remote transmitters.
***** To exit programming mode: Open driver's door or insert ignition key.
***** A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.
Old 03-27-16, 03:14 PM
huskres
Driver School Candidate

I was able to manually program the remote part of the key but not do the transponder part. So the keyless part will work but can not start the vehicle. I used techstream to erase all keys besides the one I have.
Old 03-28-16, 05:41 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huskres
I just purchased a 2004 rx330. I purchased a set of keys off amazon and tried to program them using Techstream. It will not allow me what so ever to program. it always gets to programming the key step and then says error between key and ecu. I have programmed tons of toyota keys using techstream and never had any issue with aftermarket keys so I bought another set from another vendor and they will not program either. I was able to manually program the remote for keyless entry so they will communicate with the car and are the right FCC ID number. I used to be a service advisor at Toyota so I do know more than the average person when it comes to these.

Also the power window master switch will not roll down the drivers side rear window or do auto for the drivers window. I have tried every combination to reset (we used to do them on the driver sometimes) and it still wont work. Drivers and drivers rear window buttons are flashing.

thanks for any help
This is not related to the question you have so I apologise for that. If I am purchasing a duplicate key for the same model, how can I find the correct key? Does the FCC ID number identify the key model that fits the vehicle? Is it mentioned on the key?

With regard to the power window - I had the same issue but after reading the forum i found that it can also be a lose wiring harness or its not correctly plugged on. So I checked the clip and that was the issue. I plugged it in firmly and driver's window started working. Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-16, 05:27 PM
nlt999
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem.......

Hi!
I have the same problem, in fact just posted about it. Two new aftermarket keys.... able to program remote access using Techstream, but fails when trying to register the immobilizer chip..... says Key Registration Failed..... communication error between key and ECU.

Have you found an answer to this problem???

Would appreciate any help! Nick
Old 10-11-16, 10:02 PM
fleaflop
Driver School Candidate

I, and my 06 RX400h have the exact same problem as the original post.... have tried,... keys, different versions of techstream, different computers, and two different OBDII cables,... ANYONE on the forum using or has used techstream to program an immobilizer key and has fixed this issue... please,/\ /\ /\ we all want to know,,,,

Couple of things that may help.... key remotes have FCC numbers and these have to be the same as original ...
there is a book called : THE TRANSPONDER BOOK 2016 by Josh Heath

This book carries the chip number for all transponder keys... always helps to know this info before purchasing a key... it didnt seem to help me.

Last edited by fleaflop; 10-11-16 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added information...
Old 10-12-16, 09:29 AM
fleaflop
Driver School Candidate

Default remote before immb.?

Originally Posted by huskres
I was able to manually program the remote part of the key but not do the transponder part. So the keyless part will work but can not start the vehicle. I used techstream to erase all keys besides the one I have.

I was told by someone with experience doing this that the chip in the key (immobilizer chip) had to be programmed before the remote could be programmed.....(had to be done in that order). Your post says your were able to program the remote without doing the key chip, remote is working windows, doors, but car will not run with this key??? Is this correct?
Old 10-12-16, 11:10 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I had the same issue with aftermarket keys from fleabay. I returned them, and got OEM keys (not issues with the immobilizer chip programming).
Old 10-12-16, 11:56 AM
fleaflop
Driver School Candidate

numafree,... where did u get the oem keys,... and did you use techstream to program without a problem?
Old 10-13-16, 08:56 AM
nlt999
Driver School Candidate

Default Update to key problem...

I received this message from Fleaflop:
Originally Posted by fleaflop
Hi nlt,.... just posted same prob. your having with techstream... have you tried wiping all keys except the one in use before programing the chip in techstream? I am beginning to think this is the issue but am afraid it will decommission my working key....
Here is my response:
Hi Fleaflop!
Yes, I "deleted all transponders except the one in use" (in ignition), then tried to program the immobilizer in the new key........ it did NOT work, same error message. The "key in use" (the one that was in the ignition when I did the delete function) still worked fine, as it had before. Then I took the "Valet" key (one with no buttons) and tried to start the car..... it would not start since it had been deleted (used to start it before I did that delete function). I was able to successfully program the immobilizer in the Valet key using Techstream with no problems, and it then would start the car.

Conclusion: Techstream can program the immobilizer in a genuine Lexus key, but at least in my case was unable to program the immobilizer in the aftermarket key (Chinese I believe) that I bought on ebay, even though the seller listed it as having the same FCC ID as my original key (stamped into the back of the chip housing that is inside the original Lexus key case). In my case, the FCC ID was "HYQ12BBT" which was specifically listed by the ebay seller, though nowhere marked or stamped anywhere on the chip case or key case.

Hope this helps! Nick
Old 10-20-16, 01:04 AM
fleaflop
Driver School Candidate

Hi Nick, and thanks for the comments. The obvious question is how many aftermarket keys did you try and where did you get the OEM key that finally worked>?
It would seem some of these aftermarket keys would have to work or the vendors would not be selling so many of them. This and besides the fact that the OEM keys are 900% more than the aftermarket keys.
Old 10-21-16, 08:31 AM
nlt999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fleaflop
Hi Nick, and thanks for the comments. The obvious question is how many aftermarket keys did you try and where did you get the OEM key that finally worked>?
It would seem some of these aftermarket keys would have to work or the vendors would not be selling so many of them. This and besides the fact that the OEM keys are 900% more than the aftermarket keys.
I tried two aftermarket keys for a US seller on ebay.... neither would program the immobilizer. The OEM key was the valet key that came with the car..... after I deleted all transponders but the one in the ignition, that key would no longer start the car. After programming the immobilizer in that valet key successfully using Techstream, it would start the car again.