RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How do I disable the automatic locking feature?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 03:48 PM
whatnext
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I disable the automatic locking feature?

I was told by the Lexus service dept. that they could do it for $30, so I was wondering if there was a way to do it for less money or no money at all.

It's for a 2004 RX 330.

Last edited by whatnext; 10-02-15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 09:01 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It's part of the Lexus personalized settings.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX350_LPS.pdf

Here's a thread where members discuss aftermarket software and cables that will let you do it yourself but it will probably add up to more than $30:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...or-hybrid.html
Old 10-05-15, 01:25 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't have to go to the dealership for that one. The instructions are in the owners manual.
Old 10-07-15, 08:09 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Are the instructions in the manual to turn them on? This is for 2nd series right?
Old 10-07-15, 08:28 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Page 33 of the Owners's Manual describes the method of changing between
autolock by shifting from Park or autolock by driving above 12 MPH. It does
not reference any defeat of the system. I recall reading that the crash tests are
done with locked doors to prevent occupant ejection and they must set the
system to provide this condition.
BTW go to www.lexusdrivers.com to access the O.M. if yours is gone
Old 10-08-15, 05:22 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Checked my manual and can't see anything on page 33 regarding this. Would someone care to jot down the steps in the manual?
Old 10-08-15, 01:44 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Here are the instructions. You have to be very specific about holding the button for exactly 5 seconds. I used the little blinking light on the clock in the dash to time myself. But you could use the stop watch on your phone or something else. The procedure is the same for turning it on or off. If the locks are set to on, doing the procedure will turn them off. If they are set to off, doing the procedure will turn them on.

The doors can be auto-locked (& unlocked) in different ways. The 4 ways to program this according to your choice are as follows: (A) Locking linked with the shift position All the door are locked automatically when the gear selector lever is moved out of the "P" position with the ignition switch in the "ON" position. This is supposed to be the default setting for new vehicles. (B) Unlocking linked with the shift position All the door are unlocked automatically when the gear selector lever is moved to the "P" position with the ignition switch in the "ON" position. (C) Locking linked with the vehicle speed All the doors are automatically locked when the vehicle speed reached 12 mph or higher. However, if any door is unlocked during driving, the auto function will not operate until the unlocked door is opened once. (D) Locking in sync with the driver's door All the doors are unlocked automatically when the driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from "ON" to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position. Setting the options 1. Close all the doors. 2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position. 3. Within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position ... do the following ... To set option A Push and hold the front of the power door lock switch (on the driver side door inside) for 5 seconds with the gear selector lever in the "P" position. To set option B Push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch (on the driver side door inside) for 5 seconds with the gear selector lever in the "P" position. To set option C Push and hold the front of the power door lock switch (on the driver side door inside) for 5 seconds with the gear selector lever in any position except "P". To set option D Push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch (on the driver side door inside) for 5 seconds with the gear selector lever in any position except "P". All the doors are automatically locked and unlocked when you release the power door lock switch. This indicates that the functions is set. If all the doors do not lock and unlock, the time the switch was held may have been too short or too long. Perform the procedure over again starting at step 1. If you want to cancel a function, repeat the procedure. Each time you perform the procedure, the function is set or cancelled.
The following users liked this post:
Taburebel (06-21-22)
Old 10-10-15, 07:05 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

So far I have not been able to get this function to set on my 2005 RX330 ( Australia delivered).
Old 10-12-15, 09:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Best way is to get the TECHTSREAM Software and then you can simply select your settings.
Old 10-12-15, 11:39 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

You have to be very specific when counting the 5 seconds. Use a stop watch or count the blinks on the clock in the dashboard.
Old 10-14-15, 08:32 AM
mandyfig

This type of clip should have been used, do not know why Lexus "cheaped out" on this.

Name:  Clip_zps574cnxzr.jpg
Views: 4031
Size:  82.8 KB
Old 10-14-15, 08:34 AM
mandyfig

I have modified mine with these clips, they are heavy duty and will last like crazy. However I had to bore bigger holes.

And guess what? All holes on my engine bay have these on. Had to likewise bore bigger holes, painted them so it will not rust and dropped these babies.

They are not cheap, if you can find them. I work for a company that makes parts for cars and we have boatloads of them.
Old 06-21-22, 07:38 PM
Taburebel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the auto door lock

I found this extremely useful for one. My doors lock automatically after ignition is turned to acc or lock position. Do you think this is a result of the D) auto lock setting? I've tested the other methods and they were successful, but I can't seem to figure exactly when it auto locks. It seems random to me although I will try to be aware of the timing stated above.

Ps.i get this is an old thread.