RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

air suspension issues AGAIN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 10:41 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air suspension issues AGAIN!!!!!

it seems like this a common trend with these cars. I recently bought a 2004 rX330. I didn't know the suspension was bad until the first longer than a test drive trip.
I looked for holes. I set it on high over night and waited to see if it deflated. It is the same height on all sides and doesn't seem to be lagging at all. I had it sit beside another rx330 without air suspension and it looked the same. I don't know what direction to go but I can not take the roller coaster anymore. Compressor still runs and let's down when getting out.
Please help. I need all the input I can get.
Old 07-15-15, 10:58 PM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aricks2
it seems like this a common trend with these cars. I recently bought a 2004 rX330. I didn't know the suspension was bad until the first longer than a test drive trip.
I looked for holes. I set it on high over night and waited to see if it deflated. It is the same height on all sides and doesn't seem to be lagging at all. I had it sit beside another rx330 without air suspension and it looked the same. I don't know what direction to go but I can not take the roller coaster anymore. Compressor still runs and let's down when getting out.
Please help. I need all the input I can get.
I'm sorry I don't understand what the problem seems to be. Just by reading your post everything sounds like it's working fine.
Old 07-15-15, 11:06 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jgmonkey
I'm sorry I don't understand what the problem seems to be. Just by reading your post everything sounds like it's working fine.
Yeah, that's what it seems like until you ride and turn into a bobble head. I had an rx300 and my mom has the other rx330 and neither have ever ridden this rough.
Old 07-15-15, 11:13 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

I thought at first that it was just how the air suspension was. After about a week I knew it couldn't be. Everyone that gets in says it's rough and my mechanic said "everything fine but it drives like s***". I feel EVERY bump in the road and then I do the bobble head thing from the aftershock. Ugh it's horrible.
Old 07-15-15, 11:27 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if there is an issue with pressure regulation somewhere and it's overinflating the airbags. That, or there could be damage to some suspension component.
Old 07-15-15, 11:36 PM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, that's what it seems like until you ride and turn into a bobble head. I had an rx300 and my mom has the other rx330 and neither have ever ridden this rough.
Maybe dead shocks? Or try and check the suspension links or even the sensors
Old 07-15-15, 11:49 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if they wear out over time. Not leak, but get soft. I guess I'm not understanding what's on the inside to keep them from smashing all the way down.
Old 07-15-15, 11:50 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

Are the shocks inside the bags?
Old 07-15-15, 11:55 PM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

Maybe dead shocks? Or try and check the suspension links or even the sensors
Suspension links..... wiki is not telling me well what these are.
Old 07-15-15, 11:56 PM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Are the shocks inside the bags?
Yes the bag is built around the shock but I'm not too sure if you can replace just the shock or if it only comes as a full strut assembly

I would just change the while system out with a full aftermarket bag setup. In fact that's exactly what I did
Old 07-15-15, 11:59 PM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Suspension links..... wiki is not telling me well what these are.
These links are hooked up to sensors that tell the ECU when to turn on and off so that you don't make your car too high or too low. I think these are the same links might be within the same system as your headlight links (afs)
Old 07-16-15, 12:14 AM
aricks2
Driver School Candidate

These links are hooked up to sensors that tell the ECU when to turn on and off so that you don't make your car too high or too low. I think these are the same links might be within the same system as your headlight links (afs)
What setup did you use? Lexus seems to want both arms and legs for these. The car will still raise and lower fine. If I raise it, it lowers its self to neutral at the 15mph range. Only other weird thing, and maybe it's a seal, sometimes it sounds as if it's passing gas. And it does that on the front right side but only randomly. I didn't think this would cause all 4 to act up. At least I'm assuming that's what's making the noise. But like I said, it holds air fine over night.
Old 07-16-15, 12:27 AM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

What setup did you use? Lexus seems to want both arms and legs for these. The car will still raise and lower fine. If I raise it, it lowers its self to neutral at the 15mph range. Only other weird thing, and maybe it's a seal, sometimes it sounds as if it's passing gas. And it does that on the front right side but only randomly. I didn't think this would cause all 4 to act up. At least I'm assuming that's what's making the noise. But like I said, it holds air fine over night.
I have airrex air struts personally but I think airrunner has a setup aswell
For me I'm trying to completely modify my car so that's why I went that route.
But in all actuality the factory air system to my understanding is ment for getting in and out of parking structures if need to
Old 07-16-15, 12:29 AM
Jgmonkey
Driver School Candidate

I have airrex air struts personally but I think airrunner has a setup aswell
For me I'm trying to completely modify my car so that's why I went that route.
But in all actuality the factory air system to my understanding is ment for getting in and out of parking structures if need to

Here you go. This is what my car looks like all the way down. Sorry i dont have a pic all the way up.