RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coolant/Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 09:30 AM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Coolant/Antifreeze

Hi everyone,

I'm going to apologize right away if this has been already discussed and would be happy if you could direct me to the thread, but I haven't found an answer to my (most probably silly) question in the past two days of searching...

The car is a 2004 Lexus RX330.

Last week I went to meet up with my friend and while we were talking outside by the car, he mentioned that it looked like too much smoke was coming out of the exhaust. White smoke, no smell. The weather was extremely humid and the car wasn't completely warm when I got to him.

Now, this stuff got me paranoid as I'm always trying to maintain my cars in top operating condition, so I've been checking the smoke every time I start the car and let it warm up a bit as well as looking out the windows while driving to see if there's a lot of smoke coming out and even, sometimes, at a red lights, turning into reverse to see if there's any smoke in the back.

After doing this for a few days now, I can see that my car doesn't have any more smoke than any other cars on a road, at least based on my visual judgement. The only thing I did notice, and it may be because I got so paranoid, is that it seems to be warmer/hotter inside the car when it warms at while driving. Not hot hot, but just seems to be warmer than usual. Again, could be because I got so paranoid or didn't pay attention to it. Also, windows seem to get foggy every time it's cold or wet outside.

Now the second half, I've been checking the antifreeze level before once in a while and while checking it yesterday night (with LED flash light) after I parked, I did not seem to see any in the reservoir. Checked again in the morning - nothing in reservoir. I'm assuming it should be seen even though the reservoir is not really a see through?

Went to Toyota dealership today and got the coolant. Told my friend, he said I'm stupid and (his exact words from here on) the level is fine. That it sumps, pulls into the low pressure hose, stays there. Said that right now there is a lot of back pressure (due to weather, age and mileage of the car) and my radiator lines are full, which is being pushed through my hoses - that's why I don't see anything in the reservoir. Said that reservoir doesn't do anything at all. It's like a catch can storage for flow.

My question is, should I worry about it? Why is there no antifreeze in the reservoir tank? (no signs of leakage whatsoever) Should I add the antifreeze up to the full mark? Should I add it through the tank or radiator cap?

The car seems to run fine, needle is in place, no overheating signs.

I am truly sorry if this has been discussed before and I am wasting your time, but if you could, please help me or direct to where it has been discussed.

Thank you all in advance!
Truly appreciate your help and time!
Old 12-10-13, 10:11 AM
retiredguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a low and full mark on the reservoir for a reason. Start it up, run it to operating temperature, and add antifreeze/distilled water mix (50/50) to the reservoir until it is to the full mark, or close to it. Use only Toyota Long Life antifreeze. Make sure it's the coolant reservoir and not the wiper fluid tank It happens. Your friend is the idiot.
Old 12-10-13, 10:44 AM
JProdun
Driver

Thank you retiredguy!

So I should add it through the reservoir and not through the radiator hose?

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-13, 11:48 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Add it at the reservoir.
Old 12-10-13, 12:22 PM
JProdun
Driver

Added the coolant. Only needed a little to get to a little under full mark. Maybe a cup, 7oz or so. Hopefully it will be fine.
Old 12-10-13, 12:43 PM
tomit
Rookie

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap. Can you see any fluid in the neck? If not, you may have a radiator leak or a bad radiator cap (a maintenance item), which prevents fluid being pulled from the reservoir as the engine cools.

Tom
Old 12-10-13, 01:40 PM
JProdun
Driver

I'll check in the morning. Will update tomorrow
Old 12-10-13, 04:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the reservoir should have "some" coolant in it......like other members said, fill the reservoir to full and the back pressure will suck the coolant into the radiator.....

Last edited by kickin8; 12-10-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 10:15 PM
JProdun
Driver

Question

Filled it up to a little under full today during the day. Drove it home, checked, it was still where it was when I filled it up. Left a couple hours later to meet my partner, checked when parked by my house and it's at low mark...

I guess we are back to the shop next week...

If it is a leak, where could it be leaking from?

If it's a radiator, should it be replaced? What's the approximate cost? What other things would be a good idea to replace at the same time?

Could it be water pump? If yes, what's the cost and what else should I consider replacing and checking while they're at it?

If I'll be returning my car to the shop, had it in the shop about a month ago for maintenance items, I'm thinking of doing the following:

If radiator is leaking, then radiator replacement, plus driving belt (possibly a water pump along with it?), spark plugs, whatever gaskets that could be replaced at the same time.

Also want to swap the muffler and resonator for Magnaflow. And, possibly, need a CAT replacement. I was hoping it was alright, but it seems to me that it's not as it has pretty much all the symptoms that were mentioned on this forum.

My car has almost 105000 miles on it and is an 04.

Please share your opinions on this. I truly appreciate your assistance so far and it's been a very pleasant experience on this forum!

Also, if anyone has had similar repairs done to their Lexus in NYC area and could recommend a good place to do it, please share your experiences!

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by JProdun; 12-10-13 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 11:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JProdun
If it is a leak, where could it be leaking from?
Being a NY vehicle it could be leaking most anywhere due to rust and corrosion. Do you have AWD? Do you have the towing package radiator installed? There are a number of past experiences posted here at CL which describe various weak points in the system. Such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-my-rx330.html

Search the forums and you will find plenty more. There was a warranty extension on the radiator for some 2004 RX330, however, that has expired for you by now. Believe it was seven (7) years.

The only way to really tell is to perform a pressure test. If there is a true leak there will be red coolant as a marker indicating the general region if you care to look around the engine compartment and underneath.

Yes, your water pump could be leaking. Again, only way to tell is to get in there for a look. Could also be something as silly as a leak in the plastic overflow tank or even a hose leak.

As your vehicle is a 2004 it should have had a timing belt at 90K miles. At the same time they may have replaced the water pump. Do you know if that work was performed? If not, then there is a bigger discussion to be had. If you are replacing the water pump because it is bad then there is a shopping list of items which should be done at the same time if you can afford.

First, locate the leak.
Old 12-11-13, 06:20 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

check underneath your vehicle at find the leak as RX330inFL mentioned. Lok around the bottom outlet tube and the bottom tank and this is where most are occurring from my recollection on forum posts on this matter. You'll know when you find it.
Old 12-11-13, 09:11 AM
JProdun
Driver

Originally Posted by tomit
When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap. Can you see any fluid in the neck? If not, you may have a radiator leak or a bad radiator cap (a maintenance item), which prevents fluid being pulled from the reservoir as the engine cools.

Tom
Tomit, checked under the radiator cap in the morning. Fluid could clearly be seen, but coolant was gone from the reservoir...
Old 12-11-13, 09:15 AM
JProdun
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Being a NY vehicle it could be leaking most anywhere due to rust and corrosion. Do you have AWD? Do you have the towing package radiator installed? There are a number of past experiences posted here at CL which describe various weak points in the system. Such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-my-rx330.html

Search the forums and you will find plenty more. There was a warranty extension on the radiator for some 2004 RX330, however, that has expired for you by now. Believe it was seven (7) years.

The only way to really tell is to perform a pressure test. If there is a true leak there will be red coolant as a marker indicating the general region if you care to look around the engine compartment and underneath.

Yes, your water pump could be leaking. Again, only way to tell is to get in there for a look. Could also be something as silly as a leak in the plastic overflow tank or even a hose leak.

As your vehicle is a 2004 it should have had a timing belt at 90K miles. At the same time they may have replaced the water pump. Do you know if that work was performed? If not, then there is a bigger discussion to be had. If you are replacing the water pump because it is bad then there is a shopping list of items which should be done at the same time if you can afford.

First, locate the leak.
Hi RX330inFL, I do have AWD and have recently confirmed with Lexus corporate that mine came equipped with towing package.

I have looked around the engine compartment multiple times and have not found any pink or red residue...

Have had the car since 82000 miles, so no belt/water pump service has been performed...

Will be looking for the leak
Old 12-11-13, 11:44 AM
JProdun
Driver

No leak to be found... Clean as always...
Old 12-11-13, 02:58 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

white smoke in exhaust is usually blown head gasket. So nothing around water pump - you checked behind cover?

Quick Reply: Coolant/Antifreeze