RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

parking sonar options

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 12:14 AM
OregonRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking sonar options

I've been looking for a used Gen2 RX350 with parking sonars but haven't seen any. Was this option available for Gen2 RX's? If so, was there any options that were incompatible with the sonars that would have made them unavailable with, say, rear camera?
Old 08-18-13, 01:35 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, OregonRon. Unfortunately, the best we get for parking assistance in the 2nd Generation RX is the navigation package with rear view camera. What you are looking for is the Intuitive Parking Assist package available starting with the 2010 MY RX350 which begins the 3rd Generation RX.
Old 08-18-13, 06:32 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

An aftermarket product is the only solution available to you.
There are also aftermarket rear view systems for those unfortunate enough not to have the NAV system.
I note that, prior to the installation of the first audible warning systems, there was not a massive amount of cars backing into walls or into the vehicle behind them. So maybe being careful and looking out the back window is no-cost option, which has served me well for 50 years of driving (although I do love the backup camera).
Old 08-18-13, 09:24 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonRon
I've been looking for a used Gen2 RX350 with parking sonars but haven't seen any. Was this option available for Gen2 RX's? If so, was there any options that were incompatible with the sonars that would have made them unavailable with, say, rear camera?
As stated, the only 'sonar' option is an after-market purchase and installation. The 2009RX350 that I own has one of the worse rear-ward visiblities that I have encountered. If a child were to wander behind the car when you start backing up, there is no way you will see or hear it before what could be a fatal accident. Scary!
I have had a fear of that happening at shopping centers, where children and small adults often seem not to notice or care that a car is about to back out of a parking space. So, I had the 'sonar' warning system installed. I found that these would be generally available at radio and radio-alarm installation shops. The rear cost me $180 installed + the cost of painting the sensors (about $100 if you have an auto-body shop do it). I would have done it myself except that I could not find - on short notice - a spray can of the colour of my RX. If you have a black car, you are in luck, because that is the colour the sensors come in. I highly recommend the installation: the sensors work very well. They indicate the distance to the obstacle (and also protects against such things as small obstacles that you would not normally see). Good luck!
Old 08-19-13, 09:54 AM
OregonRon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the information, everyone. It explains why I can't find what I've been looking for. I think we'll start searching for a used RX 2010 or later because my wife really wants the sonars. I think they're better than the camera because you don't have to look at the screen, and they warn of hazards both front and back.
Old 08-22-13, 06:22 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonRon
Thanks so much for the information, everyone. It explains why I can't find what I've been looking for. I think we'll start searching for a used RX 2010 or later because my wife really wants the sonars. I think they're better than the camera because you don't have to look at the screen, and they warn of hazards both front and back.
Park sensor kits are $50 or less on ebay.....I put a set on my old 1st Gen RX....super easy to install.
Old 08-28-13, 04:50 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

They do make them on the foreign models...but to put it in a US spec would be expensive as hell. Try using Cobra Park Master. They make them in a few styles for a good factory look and they actually work great. Some makes like Audi and Mitsubishi actually use these in their cars from the factory. The only difference is that this will give a "beep" when you go into reverse. Best of all...It is about $150.00. I painted mine to match. I will attach a pic.
Old 09-02-13, 01:59 PM
OregonRon
Driver School Candidate

It's odd that my 2004 Sienna (purchased in March 2003) has the parking sonars, but the RX didn't get them until much later. Seems like Toyota would be putting them on their Lexus brand before others.
Old 03-10-19, 11:14 AM
sbryant324
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GEN2 RX Rear Parking Sensors

This is in response to a querry about OEM Parking Sensors. Gen 2 did in fact have the option for a dealer installed kit with a dashmount LED indicator and beeper in north America. They were installed under the rear bumper skin without being drilled, so it was labour intensive...our techs at the dealership I worked at were not fond of the job.
I believe the factory wiring harness may have had the plugins. When Gen 3 arrived this kit was phased out and discontinued, but I am looking for the OE part # in case anyone has it on their Bill of Sale as a dealer installed upgrade... Thanks

If anyone is so inclined, the *Dealer Installed* option European kit can still be found for about $150USD on ebay.eu, dual front and rear Gen 2 RX330-350 and RX400h. Entire kit is PZ464-K0425- 00. This kit seems to share a lot of common components with other models and Toyotas, except perhaps the actual harnesses, 1 for front and a second for rear, meaning you should be able to intsall 1 or both sets independent of each other. This is a factory kit with 4 sensors rear and 4 front, with template and 53 pages of instructions.

Last edited by sbryant324; 04-07-19 at 02:30 PM.